sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2018 9:27 pm  #1

Woodstock Wednesday: Get With The "Program" 49 Years Later

Wednesday, August 15th marks the anniversary of a cultural touchstone – it was exactly 49 years ago that the legendary 1969 Woodstock Concert took place on Max Yasgur’s farm in upstate New York.

There will certainly be huge celebrations of the first big rock event in history when it hits the half century mark next year – [url=http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2018/07/30/pbs-and-american-experience-announce-woodstock-new-documentary-from-filmmaker-barak-goodman-993100/20180730pbs02/ one]PBS has ordered a two-hour documentary on the festival to air in 2019[/url] – but it’s worth noting the historic nature of the day.

My brother-in-law, now in his 70s, was there, and he did one smart thing and one that was dumb. (One of the latter was NOT marrying my sister!) He went to the concert, which was the smart thing. And a year later, he gave me a copy of his official Woodstock program, which I understand is now a pricey collector’s item. So that was the dumb thing.

If you’ve never seen the program, it lists all the bands that were scheduled to play along with a few articles and a slew of ads. (My two favourites are The Jefferson Airplane ad, which can be made into a paper airplane, and The Who, an obvious homage to a pinball wizard.)

It took several hours to scan in all 50 pages, but what’s displayed below is the entire booklet he gave me in 1970 in order. It’s a nostalgia lover’s dream if you’re into that sort of thing. Call it a sort of Flashback Friday a few days early.

Oh, and Wavy Gravy wanted you to know not to eat the brown acid. Otherwise, enjoy.   

The Front Cover

The Talent

Joan Baez

Canned Heat

Crosby Stills & Nash

Richie Havens

Janis Joplin

Ravi Shankar

The Who

Bert Sommer

Blood Sweat & Tears

Jeff Beck

Tim Hardin

The Band

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Sly & The Family Stone

Sweetwater & Ten Years After

The Grateful Dead

Iron Butterfly

Jimi Hendrix

Arlo Guthrie

Joe Cocker/Johnny Winter

Incredible String Band

Jefferson Airplane

Santana, Quill, Mountain, Keef Hartley

Country Joe & The Fish

Mountain

The Line-Up

Credits

The Back Cover

March 20, 2019 9:07 pm  #2

Re: Woodstock Wednesday: Get With The "Program" 49 Years Later

This is an old post but here's something new: this August is the 50th anniversary of the infamous concert that "if you can remember it, you weren't there."

Of course, there's going to be a huge event to commemorate it, with another concert being held to mark the occasion. The list of those appearing has now been released, and there are some originals coming back for more: David Crosby, the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, Canned Heat, Santana, John Sebastian, Country Joe McDonald  and John Fogerty of CCR. That last one is something of a surprise, since Fogerty hated the group's performance so much he refused to allow it to be used in the movie or the soundtrack.

The Zombies are also listed, but I'm not sure who's in that group now or if any of the originals (especially Rod Argent) are still around. 

Anyway, here's the list, showing how the old is mixing with the new. And I wonder if either age group will be happy with who's on the bill.

Oh, and the brown acid is still bad. 

March 20, 2019 10:47 pm  #3

Re: Woodstock Wednesday: Get With The "Program" 49 Years Later

Rod Argent is still with the Zombies as is lead singer Colin Blunstone. All the original surviving members toured in 2017 on the 50th anniversary of their classic Odyssey and Oracle album. That was the album that Time of the Season was on. A bit of a sleeper and like the Youngbloods Get Together recorded in 1967 but hit big in 1969.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/