sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2018 8:52 pm  #1

CHUM 1968

Dale Patterson's most recent aircheck on the Scrapbook is of Dean Hagopian. The notes include a mention that Hagopian 'guested' on CHUM in 1968. My recollection is that CHUM ran a promotion over the weeks leading up to Jack Armstrong's debut as the evening jock. Each Sunday night, for four consecutive Sundays, a 'guest' deejay would host. The final candidate and winner was Jack Armstrong. In addition to Hagopian, I recall Terry David Mulligan 'auditioning', but neither Dale nor I can remember who the fourth candidate was. Any ideas out there?

July 29, 2018 10:49 pm  #2

Re: CHUM 1968

It was a woman - I can't remember the name she used but it was not a proper name - it was some sort of pseudonym that referenced to the fact that she was a female - in fact it might have been "She", but I can't say for sure.

July 30, 2018 7:54 am  #3

Dean was the morning man at CFGO 1440 in Ottawa and was really funny, he did a number of voice characters and would move in and out of character just like that!

A little known fact too, was he fronted a band called the Staccato's

Here is a clip of one their songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVCM04dKTcw

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 30, 2018 8:11 am  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

he fronted a band called the Staccato's   

. . . which of course became the Five Man Electrical Band.    Excellent musicians, but overplayed to death due to CanCon (or lazy music directors) before Oldies Music formats burned out

July 30, 2018 11:01 am  #5

Dean was a huge star as morning man at CFOX Montreal

July 30, 2018 12:03 pm  #6

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Dean was the morning man at CFGO 1440 in Ottawa and was really funny, he did a number of voice characters and would move in and out of character just like that!

A little known fact too, was he fronted a band called the Staccato's

Here is a clip of one their songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVCM04dKTcw

The Staccatos had a fantastic hit in "Half Past Midnight" during the Les Emmerson era and later morphed into the 5 Man Electrical Band.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 30, 2018 5:21 pm  #7

July 30, 2018 10:46 pm  #8

geo wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

he fronted a band called the Staccato's   

. . . which of course became the Five Man Electrical Band.    Excellent musicians, but overplayed to death due to CanCon (or lazy music directors) before Oldies Music formats burned out

Oh sorry I somehow missed this when I posted about the morphosis into the 5 Man Electrical...must be something about the "electric" and morphing as the Move morphed into the Electric Light Orchestra and I think the British Electric Foundation was the Human League.

Cool Airchecks and More:

July 31, 2018 9:40 am  #9

I was just relooking at that Top 100 of 1968 I posted and I couldn't help being drawn to #100 - All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix. CHUM AM played a cut by Jimi Hendrix? Who knew? 

July 31, 2018 11:50 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I was just relooking at that Top 100 of 1968 I posted and I couldn't help being drawn to #100 - All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix. CHUM AM played a cut by Jimi Hendrix? Who knew? 

I think they played Foxy Lady and Purple Haze by Hendrix as well. Have not had time to look into their chart position. Also by 1966 some of the "heavy" groups began to chart. The 1968 top song list has tracks by Cream, Vanilla Fudge, The Chamber Brothers, Steppenwolf and the group sometimes credited as the loudest in rock ( at least at that time) Blue Cheer.

Cool Airchecks and More:

July 31, 2018 1:02 pm  #11

FITZ -- a clever touch, timing your post to appear at 10:50.     Mr. Allan Waters would be proud

K.

Last edited by Kilgore (July 31, 2018 1:10 pm)

July 31, 2018 1:55 pm  #12

Kilgore wrote:

FITZ -- a clever touch, timing your post to appear at 10:50.

July 31, 2018 3:00 pm  #13

cGrant wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

FITZ -- a clever touch, timing your post to appear at 10:50.

Had some kind of weird flashback. Thought we were talking about CKOC.

Cool Airchecks and More:

July 31, 2018 3:12 pm  #14

Fitz wrote:

Thought we were talking about CKOC.

July 31, 2018 3:32 pm  #15

It's easy to make fun of Kilgore on this, except I suspect he's experiencing the same thing I did when I joined this board way back when. For some reason, some people here see the wrong time zone on their posts. If you go into the "my options" link at the top of the page, you'll see a way to change the time zone you're listed in. In my case, in order to see Eastern Time, I have to look at the board as if I was logging in from the Atlantic time zone. 

No idea why, but if it happened to me, it very well could have happened to Kilgore. Therefore, he saw the posted time as 10:50, even though it was an hour later for everyone else. 

Just one of the weird Boardhost quirks that doesn't seem to affect everyone. 

July 31, 2018 4:06 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

It's easy to make fun of Kilgore on this, except I suspect he's experiencing the same thing I did when I joined this board way back when    

My timing has been "off" since August 16, 1977.     Thank you for your indulgence

K.

July 31, 2018 4:07 pm  #17

That 1968 top songs list is a gem. Have not seen it before. Interesting to note that the Stones She's Like a Rainbow" charted much higher than Jumping Jack Flash. The latter has elicliped Rainbow in terms of radio airplay but the former is a great song.

There's also the faux heaviness of Max Frost and I believe that was from the soundtrack of some teen exploitation film. Quite a few FM crossovers such as Big Brother, the Who, Canned Heat and others.

Linda Ronstadt's debut with the Stone Poneys  ( written by Mike Nesmith) and Eddy Grant's Equals.

Now getting back to the thread topic I don't know the answer but I know they had the CHUM chart with the"Supermouth is Coming" promo before Jackson Armstrong started.

Cool Airchecks and More:

July 31, 2018 4:18 pm  #18

Fitz wrote:

There's also the faux heaviness of Max Frost and I believe that was from the soundtrack of some teen exploitation film.

Indeed it was. It was from an amazing 1968 film called "Wild In The Streets" And for a silly exploitation movie, it had some pretty terrific names. Among those in the film: Hal Holbrook, Ed Begley Sr., Shelley Winters, Christopher Jones (who played Max Frost) and Richard Pryor.

If you ever get the chance to see this thing, it's definitely worth your time. Not only is the soundtrack great but the plot is incredible. It's about a rock star who manages to get himself elected president of the United States and lowers the voting age to 14. It was the time of "Never trust anyone over 30" and the new prez decides to put everyone over that age in an LSD reformation camp, where they're put on acid and gotten out of the way. 

There's a scene in Congress where all the elected politicians are stoned after LSD gets in the water supply, a moment that has to be seen to be believed.

And it has a twisted ending that I won't reveal here. 

It sounds absolutely insane and it's certainly a creature of its time. But what a great schlocky flick and all these years later, it's still one of my favourites.

July 31, 2018 7:43 pm  #19

Just to clarify...Dean was a vocalist with the Staccatos for only a couple of years in the early 60s.  [63-64]  They enjoyed almost no measurable success beyond the confines of Ottawa until Les Emmerson replaced Dean.  Several of the originals stayed with the group right through the growing years including their bass player Brian Rading and drummer Rick Bell [Belanger].  A 4th original Vern Craig hung in until the switchover from being the Staccatos to the 5 Man Electrical Band.  Ted Gerrow became the 5th member in 1968 and shortly thereafter Vern called it a day.  Rick's brother Mike Bell [Belanger] was added into the mix around 1965 [as their 2nd drummer]

The Staccatos were the summer 'house band' up at Hidden Valley near Huntsville in '67.  They packed the place every time they played there.  They were excellent...in both incarnations