sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2018 7:05 pm  #1

Most Powerful Man In Network TV Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

Just when you thought there couldn't possibly be another huge #metoo scandal in Hollywood, comes a whopper of a story. 

You may have never heard of Les Moonves, but he's the most powerful man in American television, the executive in charge of #1 network CBS, and the guy who helped develop such shows as The Big Bang Theory. But now he's accused of serious sexual misconduct over a period of several years. 

In a stunning New Yorker story by Ronan Farrow, the same journalist who outed movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, several women have come forward to accuse the executive of some pretty odious conduct - and that includes allegations that another CBS muckety-muck, Jeff Fager, the boss at 60 Minutes, also allowed such behaviour to take root at that venerable show. 

Moonves hasn't entirely admitted to anything, but has issued a statement saying that while he may have made some women "uncomfortable," he never crossed the line. But his alleged victims think it was more than just "uncomfortable." 

"Four described forcible touching or kissing during business meetings, in what they said appeared to be a practiced routine. Two told me that Moonves physically intimidated them or threatened to derail their careers. All said that he became cold or hostile after they rejected his advances, and that they believed their careers suffered as a result.

“What happened to me was a sexual assault, and then I was fired for not participating,” the actress and writer Illeana Douglas told me. All the women said they still feared that speaking out would lead to retaliation from Moonves, who is known in the industry for his ability to make or break careers.

“He has gotten away with it for decades,” the writer Janet Jones, who alleges that she had to shove Moonves off her after he forcibly kissed her at a work meeting, told me. “And it’s just not O.K.”

The story has already cost CBS in at least one way. Its stock fell more than 6% on Friday as a result of the allegations. So can the most powerful man in TV survive the scandal? That question may be better than any drama on his network.  

You can read the entire story here.

======================================================================================

Moonves statement:

"Throughout my time at CBS, we have promoted a culture of respect and opportunity for all employees, and have consistently found success elevating women to top executive positions across our company. I recognize that there were times decades ago when I may have made some women uncomfortable by making advances. Those were mistakes, and I regret them immensely. But I always understood and respected — and abided by the principle — that ‘no’ means ‘no,’ and I have never misused my position to harm or hinder anyone’s career.

This is a time when we all are appropriately focused on how we help improve our society, and we at CBS are committed to being part of the solution."

Last edited by RadioActive (July 27, 2018 7:19 pm)

July 27, 2018 9:24 pm  #2

Re: Most Powerful Man In Network TV Accused Of Sexual Misconduct

Les Moonves is married to CBS personality / host Julie Chen. 

Chen hosts Big Brother, and is a co-host / moderator on the daytime chat show "The Talk"

July 27, 2018 11:17 pm  #3

Glen Warren wrote:

Les Moonves is married to CBS personality / host Julie Chen. 

Chen hosts Big Brother, and is a co-host / moderator on the daytime chat show "The Talk"

Ms. Chen has released a statement that sounds like textbook pr supporting her husband.

Harvey Weinstein's wife Georgina Chapman owed much of the success of her clothing line Marquessa to her husband, and Julie Chen's professional and personal identity is tied to her husband, and his standing in the industry. Her credibility and reputation is on the line as well.

It is also being insinuated that Shari Redstone, CBS controlling shareholder, is working behind the scenes of the Moonves investigation, with the merger of CBS and Viacom as her ultimate goal.

Pity 'The Newsroom the movie' isn't in the pipeline. I would love to see Aaron Sorkin, and his team sort though the #MeToo uprising, the opioid crisis, the failure of Hillary and the rise of the Trumps, and the changes in the media landscape.

Last edited by betaylored (July 27, 2018 11:43 pm)

July 28, 2018 12:44 am  #4

Some guys is just dumb. 

July 28, 2018 8:36 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Just when you thought there couldn't possibly be another huge #metoo scandal in Hollywood,

Never thought that at all. Surprised it took this long for the next scandal to emerge. 

July 29, 2018 12:43 am  #6

Let's be honest here. Isn't it possible that the majority of us have dark skeletons in our pasts? If we're attained any level of success, didn't we get there with possibly some questionable actions in our history? If you think about it, isn't it possible that we didn't treat the opposite sex and/or our coworkers with less than optimum habits? How many of us are just breathing a bit swallowly just waiting for the possibility of a shoe to drop? 

July 29, 2018 1:10 am  #7

From the New York Times: "Vatican meets #MeToo as nuns denounce their abuse by priests". The Associated Press, Global, CBC, they're all running the story. Not too much of a surprise considering past stories of the abuse of children, but the details are still appalling.

September 9, 2018 4:33 pm  #8

Looks like CBS boss Les Moonves will soon be turfed out, after more women surfaced with additional allegations against him in yet another piece by Ronan Farrow - who also brought down Harvey Weinstein.

This exec. is arguably the most powerful man in network TV. In most cases, these departures happen at lightning speed. But this time, it's taken more than a month. 

Les Moonves Poised to Step Down as CBS CEO Following Second Wave of Sexual Assault Allegations

New Yorker: As Leslie Moonves Negotiates His Exit from CBS, Women Raise New Assault and Harassment Claims

In an update to the above article, it appears Moonves will not receive a huge payout to leave. Instead, the money will reportedly go to organizations that help sex assault victims. 

September 12, 2018 7:29 pm  #9

Les Moonves is gone and now one of the most powerful producers at CBS is out the door with him - Jeff Fager, the guy behind the venerable powerhouse 60 Minutes. 

Jeff Fager Out at ’60 Minutes’ Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

December 5, 2018 9:52 pm  #10

Well, I suppose if this is true, it's sort of a deviant and horrible perk - a new report suggests ex-CBS chief Les Moonves had one female network employee who was said to be "on call" for oral sex whenever he felt like it. And that's just the beginning of the sins alleged in an internal investigation into the once high flying former honcho.

Moonves denies all the accusations against him, but these latest revelations could cost him millions of dollars in severance. 

Former CBS chief Moonves accused of more sexual misconduct 

December 5, 2018 10:47 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

- a new report suggests ex-CBS chief Les Moonves had one female network employee who was said to be "on call" for oral sex whenever he felt like it.

The entitlement complex is astounding, is it not?

December 7, 2018 4:55 pm  #12

Do you suppose 60 Minutes will ever do a piece on this?

From The Hollywood Reporter:

"Among the most eye-popping findings in the leaked draft of the report is that CBS has been paying, for more than 20 years, a former staffer who was allegedly repeatedly assaulted by the late '60 Minutes' creator Don Hewitt.

The original $450,000 settlement has been renegotiated several times, including this year, and the total amount she has received has exceeded $5 million, and includes annual payments of $75,000 for the rest of her life."

Leaked '60 Minutes' Report Raises Concerns Over CBS Hush Payments

December 17, 2018 6:46 pm  #13

Just to put a final (?) coda on this story, CBS has finished its internal probe on the allegations and has concluded Mooves was fired for cause - and therefore gets not a dime of his $120 million severance. Expect an appeal, but for now, not a cent from the Eye Network.

CBS Says No $120M Severance For Les Moonves; Terminated For Cause Declares Board