sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2018 6:25 pm  #1

Shortwave Archive Is Online

It's not exactly Reelradio or Rockradioscrapbook.ca (which by the way, is two weeks away from its 1,000th edition, Congratulations, Dale!) but someone has concocted a shortwave archive that keeps those long distance radio stations alive. 

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you're curious, you can check it out here.  

Speaking of Reelradio, the site disappeared after the death of its founder, Richard Irwin, earlier this summer. It seemed to be gone forever, but now a new placeholder is online at the old address, saying "Please Stand By. ReelRadio will return." There's no word on when, who's behind it or whether all those amazing airchecks will be included. 

July 24, 2018 10:46 pm  #2

Re: Shortwave Archive Is Online

Very cool.  Especially the archive of final broadcasts.

Which got me to doing some research on what happened to one of my favourites, Radio Netherlands.  I used to enjoy listening to their English service, especially a program called "Media Network".  It was about shortwave radio but did a lot more including an attempt at shortwave data transmissions for home computers.  As it turns out, the host of that program has so far, archived several hundred of these programs and made them available on the web:

http://jonathanmarks.libsyn.com/

There's a lot of history there as well.  Including some "local" content.

http://jonathanmarks.libsyn.com/mn15031984cfrb-toronto

Last edited by Peter the K (July 24, 2018 11:12 pm)

July 24, 2018 10:59 pm  #3

Re: Shortwave Archive Is Online

I don't know if you remember when WRNO, an FM station based in New Orleans, received a shortwave radio licence from the FCC and actually put a Top 40 station on shortwave. It was doomed to failure - who would listen to music amidst endless fadeouts on AM? - but it was certainly an interesting experiment. The owner actually thought he could make money by sending American-style radio out to the rest of the world. 

A long time ago, I wrote the station about what they were doing and asked for more info. Here's what they sent me.