sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 21, 2015 1:24 am  #1

CTV anchors to read recorded newscasts on CFRA

[Via Ottawa Sun & Cosford's List]

There are more changes coming to Bell Media’s Ottawa operations, the Sun has learned.

Starting Monday, CTV news anchors are taking over the reading of the radio’s newscasts from their CFRA colleagues. For CFRA employees, it’s a a kick in the teeth - demoting them from reading the news on-air to writing it for the television anchors.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” said Gord McDougall, a former news reporter with CFRA before he was let go several years ago.

The news comes on the heels of longtime newsman Steve Madely announcing his retirement on Monday.

Then on Tuesday, Bell Media announced layoffs at both CTV Ottawa and CFRA - including TV news anchor Carol Anne Meehan, morning radio host Shelley McLean and popular radio news producer Mike Murphy - and a married couple - both in sales.

Social media has been going fast and furious with outrage over the layoffs - most notably about Meehan’s firing.

As of Friday morning, almost 17,000 people had signed an online petition http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/WeSupportCarol calling for her reinstatement - and of those - almost 10,000 have taken the time to comment on her exit.

According to an internal CFRA email, CFRA news reader Mai Habib will write the news from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. for CTV’s Annette Goerner to record and read. CFRA’s Chris Holski will write the news for Graham Richardson to read and record from 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and CFRA’s Jenn Pritchard will be writing for Patricia Boal from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

“Nobody really knows what’s going on,” McDougall said, adding several key radio personalities - including Lowell Green, newsman Norman Jack and Madeley’s producer Tom Woodward are all on holidays.

But there’s plenty of speculation about who will have jobs, and what they will be, when the shakeup finally ends.

“It’s breaking a lot of hearts. People are worried we may lose the CFRA name, maybe this is all about a rebranding. And they’re going to be recording the newscast, what happens if there’s breaking news?” McDougall said. “It’s just so sad.”

Richard Gray, the general manager of Bell Media in Ottawa, couldn’t be reached for comment.

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 21, 2015 12:05 pm  #2

Re: CTV anchors to read recorded newscasts on CFRA

The problem with radio is that once they lower the bar, it stays lowered. No one notices the difference in quality in radio if EVERYONE is doing a lower-quality version of it. So recorded newscasts on radio are here ... that may soon be the norm and to hell with immediacy. Anything to improve the bottom line. How many billions do these companies need?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 21, 2015 12:22 pm  #3

With what is happening at CFRA, why would I even bother listening to them anymore?

I'd be better off getting my news from the CBC and 1310 News. (I do much the same here in Buffalo; WBFO, the CBC and 680 News in Toronto are my go-to's if I want news. Unless I want my blood pressure to rise, I do NOT listen to WBEN. And if Clint Buehlman and Jeff Kaye could see what that station has become, they'd likely be spinning at high velocity in their graves.)

November 21, 2015 2:19 pm  #4

There have been rumors around about a CTV Newsradio. This could be the start of it.

November 21, 2015 8:01 pm  #5

Reading & writing news is the entry point for many creative and talented broadcasters.
When I worked at CFRA as a Top 40 Rocker (Evenings only) from 1976 to 86 we had hourly newscasts written and read by many names you know today.
My newscasters were people like Erin Davis now legendary at CHFI and Gene Valaitis formerly of Jesse & Gene on Q107.
One of my board ops was Terry Marcotte currently the sports director at CTV Ottawa.
I worked and still do with young people seeking a career in broadcasting, but I must admit that I discourage them and advise that you have to be prepared for a lot of heartbreaking stupidity in this business.  Talent means nothing to the bean counters.  Creativity is discouraged if it might cost money and that's all they really care about, isn't it?
Luckily under the CHUM system in those years talent was encouraged and supported with enthusiasm by visionaries like Alan Waters, while other radio companies had people in charge with a similar mindset like Allan Slaight, & Ted Rogers.
Yes, a license to broadcast was a license to "print money", but these people understood the need to encourage emerging talent and support it.  I benefited from this kind of thinking and even though I was a maverick, CHUM knew that I made them money.  Lots of it.
I wondered why when CHUM bought CKLW FM Windsor where I was working in 1993 they fired the entire staff but kept me.
Why? After almost burning the building down when leaving CFRA in 1986 why did CHUM keep me at their new acquisition?  Bob Laine put it in the simplest terms: What I did at CFRA is the stuff legends are made of. (His words, not mine)
Why should we care if people like these can't find work today?
Duh?

Last edited by Mark Elliot (November 22, 2015 12:47 pm)

November 22, 2015 7:09 pm  #6

=12px>> I can see Bell radio stations promoting the following for example. Your listening to  Newstalk 1010.  CTV News is next.  If you think outside of the box it could just happen.

I think they'll just rename the stations CTV Newsradio Toronto, CTV Newsradio Ottawa, etc., or maybe just all call them generically CTV Newsradio.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 22, 2015 8:52 pm  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

or maybe just all call them generically CTV Newsradio.

Would the very idea of being the new CKO work today? (As a CTV Newsradio, respectfully)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2015 10:44 pm  #8

I wonder how many remember that CTV tried to form a national news network in 1992, well before Bell swallowed it up. If memory serves, it was run by Del Archer, who I'm told was one of the good guys in the biz. The entity, known as CTV Radio News, didn't last long. Last I heard, Archer was retired and living in Halifax after a long and successful career. But that update is about ten years old, so I hope he's still with us.  

Despite his efforts, CTV never really made it in radio, until Bell bought all the CHUM and Astral stations, and didn't have to start from scratch. 

Last edited by RadioActive (November 22, 2015 10:45 pm)

November 23, 2015 9:23 am  #9

I remember running that on air on C-59 in Toronto as the was place was being gutted for sale.. Lloyd would read it for the most part.. sure didn't sound "local"

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder how many remember that CTV tried to form a national news network in 1992, well before Bell swallowed it up. If memory serves, it was run by Del Archer, who I'm told was one of the good guys in the biz. The entity, known as CTV Radio News, didn't last long. Last I heard, Archer was retired and living in Halifax after a long and successful career. But that update is about ten years old, so I hope he's still with us.  

Despite his efforts, CTV never really made it in radio, until Bell bought all the CHUM and Astral stations, and didn't have to start from scratch. 

November 23, 2015 1:45 pm  #10

pinto wrote:

I remember running that on air on C-59 in Toronto as the was place was being gutted for sale.. Lloyd would read it for the most part.. sure didn't sound "local"

Good ole' Country 59. I thought they were using Broadcast news...??

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 23, 2015 6:22 pm  #11

I suspect that Bell will eventually move most of their radio stations to having the news fed in from a central fed.  Have one person write and read it to a file and sent to stations across Canada.  Sadly, this I would suggest is step one.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 23, 2015 6:23 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio.