sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2018 9:53 am  #1

1460 CJOY Guelph

Today is CJOY's 70th anniversary. CJOY went on the air June 14, 1948 and is one of the few AM stations still playing music-currently a classic hits format (70's, 80's, 90's - although they still play some 60's). As a teenager in the 50's I did not listen that much, but I do remember when Bob McAdorey did the morning drive and Jack Gracie did PM drive with a Top 40 music show. We all know Bob McAdorey's history after CJOY but I have no idea what happened to Jack Gracie. A CJOY staple was Jimmie Rogers who was there four different times, as well as at sister station Magic 106.1, and Wayne Moore who came to Guelph from CFGM Toronto and stayed for years. Marilyn Kane was another who was there forever, but more at the FM sister CKLA (now Magic 106.1). I understand that Bob Bratina, Lloyd Robertson and Gordie Tapp also all worked at CJOY at one time - and Norm Jary, who was the mayor of Guelph for many years, did news, sports and Guelph hockey play by play. Currently morning drive is hosted by Mike Devine, who is himself a local radio legend. There is much more that others will know and remember.

June 14, 2018 2:28 pm  #2

Re: 1460 CJOY Guelph

I worked with Jimmie Rogers 35 years ago doing a morning show somewhere. Can't really remember where but I think the town was called Hell's Half Acre Ontario. Great guy -- very easy going.

And don't forget C-JOYS Larry Mellott -- first met him circa 1971. He's STILL at it.

How the fuck old am I?

Last edited by unclefester (June 14, 2018 6:35 pm)

June 14, 2018 3:53 pm  #3

unclefester wrote:

How the fuck old am I?

Entirely.  +1

June 15, 2018 6:59 am  #4

You can ad our own Peter The K to the alumni list.  Oh ... and you can add me too.
Also I must mention Neill Clemens, long time morning newscaster. He retired last year after nearly 45 years at CJOY.
Amazing longevity ... and he's a great guy to boot.

June 15, 2018 9:34 am  #5

unclefester wrote:

I worked with Jimmie Rogers 35 years ago doing a morning show somewhere. Can't really remember where but I think the town was called Hell's Half Acre Ontario. Great guy -- very easy going.

CKDK Woodstock? I think the only places JR did the morning show were CJOY (and Guelph couldn't be the town you describe) and CKDK Woodstock. He was at CKDK for years, first doing mornings and later switched to mid days until CKDK became part of the Energy Radio network and he became redundant.

June 15, 2018 11:32 pm  #6

Storm wrote:

unclefester wrote:

I worked with Jimmie Rogers 35 years ago doing a morning show in Hell's Half Acre Ontario. Great guy -- very easy going.

CKDK Woodstock? 

June 15, 2018 11:33 pm  #7

Right on the money Storm

K-104 FM in Woodstock Ontari - ari - ario