sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2015 1:49 pm  #1

Christmas Comes Early To GTA Radio

CHFI began playing all Christmas tunes Sunday at noon. Love it or hate it, it seems to work. Ratings show the endless pool of Yule does well. Expect others to follow suit. Among them: CFHK-FM aka Fresh 103.1 in London, which started the holiday hoopla on Friday. 

My sympathies to any live jocks, who will have to listen to this over and over and over for more than a month. 

November 15, 2015 1:54 pm  #2

Re: Christmas Comes Early To GTA Radio

Interesting to take a quick peek at the CHFI Facebook page. While many listeners seem to be cheering the annual format switch, some aren't quite as enthusiastic. Among their comments:

I will not be listening to you anymore! I cannot take 6 wks of strictly Christmas songs! It does not make me merrier!

See you in January when you go back to regular programming. Bah Humbug!!!!

I'm sorry, but this is a little early, I think the music should start December 1st….by the time Boxing Day arrives, I am so fed up with it I usually don't turn this station on until the middle of December when I am really in the mood and won't get tired too fast of it, and I listen to this station all year round….this is the only time when I find it way too much….sorry for feeling like this but its the truth

Time to change channels, six weeks of all Christmas music is way too much. Too bad you don't mix in the Christmas music with other songs.

I think that last poster makes a point. 

November 15, 2015 1:57 pm  #3

The 'Ho ho ho" you hear in November comes from the sales manager's office, but it's also too loud to be ignored.  It's a massive cash cow and ratings success as has been proven year after year.    (Especially in a PPM world with shops and offices blasting it out.)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 15, 2015 2:22 pm  #4

ig wrote:

ratings success as has been proven year after year . . . in a PPM world with shops and offices blasting it out

Are you suggesting that some "listeners" didn't actually tune in CHFI but get counted as "listeners"?    Shocking

November 15, 2015 2:26 pm  #5

Not at all, I'm just suggesting as they are singing along, they don't know they're listening.

Kilgore wrote:

ig wrote:

ratings success as has been proven year after year . . . in a PPM world with shops and offices blasting it out

Are you suggesting that some "listeners" didn't actually tune in CHFI but get counted as "listeners"?    Shocking

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 15, 2015 3:26 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Time to change channels, six weeks of all Christmas music is way too much. Too bad you don't mix in the Christmas music with other songs.

I think that last poster makes a point. 

That was tried in Chicago last year against Christmas powerhouse WLIT, and it didn't work.

The All-Christmas stations that do best rely heavily on the classics, while their normal AC formats have become more current Top 40 influenced than ever. The mix ends up being just awful, and pleasing neither side.

November 15, 2015 3:32 pm  #7

Kilgore wrote:

ig wrote:

As it should be. The primary purpose of ratings is to determine the chances and frequency of an advertiser's message being heard. Whether the listening being voluntary or not affects the chances of a reaction from the audience to the ad is purely qualitative, and could be argued either direction.

Last edited by Don (November 15, 2015 3:34 pm)

November 15, 2015 5:57 pm  #8

My favorite float was Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends

November 16, 2015 7:25 pm  #9

The funny thing is...on the OTHER side of Lake Ontario, WTSS(Star 102.5)STILL hasn't made the flip to all-Christmas music. They've caught some MAJOR heat in the past for going to holiday tunes in early November. (That said, it'll still go off my car's pre-sets when it does change.)

November 16, 2015 7:46 pm  #10

Yeah, now that they and WMSX (WJYE) have both moved more towards HOT AC, there's a bit of a standoff on this one. Once one blinks, the other will too though.

November 16, 2015 10:33 pm  #11

ckg927 wrote:

The funny thing is...on the OTHER side of Lake Ontario, WTSS(Star 102.5)STILL hasn't made the flip to all-Christmas music. They've caught some MAJOR heat in the past for going to holiday tunes in early November. (That said, it'll still go off my car's pre-sets when it does change.)

From Nov. 11th via WIVB:

Radio station still holding off on Christmas music

November 17, 2015 8:38 pm  #12

Don wrote:

Yeah, now that they and WMSX (WJYE) have both moved more towards HOT AC, there's a bit of a standoff on this one. Once one blinks, the other will too though.

Unlikely, IMO. Last year, Mix 96 said in promos that they'd work Christmas music into their playlists, but not do a total flip. And SPEAKING of Mix 96...I'm sorry, but I still cannot get into that station at all over a year since they flipped their identity. To begin with, their music is sped up so much you'd think that someone slipped amphetamines into the music. (In all honesty, a good deal of stations do speed up the music, but Mix is VERY blatant about it). Second, it doesn't know if it wants to be a hot AC station or an oldies station.