sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2018 6:49 pm  #1

Buster Poindexter past the summer bumpers....

Not to get all hot and bothered by the derth of good bumpers on the air these days, but there is more to play than Nick Gilder, and the handful of others that bored board bunn.. nope, won't type it, operators can choose from.

The tune "hot hot hot" from the one and only Buster Poindexter is a great choice on a hot day like we had today and yesterday, but I think I may have heard it used by Robert Turner on Newstalk 1010's "Moore In The Morning" last year once or twice, and that's about it.

Question: just how time consuming is it to whip up a bumper? It's not like you still need a razor blade, patience, and a great ear anymore.

There's got to be a reason why Imagine Dragons and that Bjorn and Peter whistle-y bit are still being used *frequently*. Jeff Blair over on the Fan590 is the only one who constantly changes his music. Every one else (Robert Turner excepted) just uses the same ol' songs.

A Simpsons old man yada comment is valid about this thread, but I really do want to know why bumpers are ignored. Technically a pain in the butt to do? Not worth it?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by betaylored (June 1, 2018 6:54 pm)

June 1, 2018 8:03 pm  #2

Re: Buster Poindexter past the summer bumpers....

Technically super-simple.

It's one of those things that slips through the cracks of "who's job is it"

Ultimately, though, it's the PD's responsibility, and they don't update them because:
1) They think it's fine
2) They're swamped, and it's low on their priority list.

Last edited by Don (June 1, 2018 8:03 pm)

June 1, 2018 8:30 pm  #3

Don wrote:

2) They're swamped, and it's low on their priority list.

If only they had adequate staffing...

June 1, 2018 8:33 pm  #4

Indeed. But if it's a big company, the PD has no control over that.

June 2, 2018 12:41 am  #5

Irvine wrote:

Or you could just work a little extra or at home (it's all just software really).  I had a college show and I made liners, etc with nary a nickel in it for me.  Big radio people can too. 

You cannot possibly be serious?!  People working "off the clock" or at home to make a better product for the listener and possibly showing management the self-initiative that they are serious about their career?  C'mon.  I just spilled my bottle of Vodka when I read that.  No, the mindset is "do as little as possible because the big, bad company OWES ME".  Certainly someone wouldn't want to display their extra efforts at creativity and creating flourishes without compensation because that big, bad company is making a profit for their shareholder.  After all, those demonic profiters are directly spawn from Lucifer herself.

Here's the thing... because some of us grew a pair and took it upon ourselves to learn, adapt and expand our skill set, that WAS noticed by management and the bean-counters. And, guess what? We were spared the axe, whilst those that have an "us vs them" attitude towards their workplace are clipping magazine articles from the 70s. (sorry, being blunt again). And, I don't want to hear about "well, I tried extra things and the PD or ND didn't like it, so why should I bother?"  So freaking what? Chalk it up to experience and try again.

June 2, 2018 2:30 am  #6

ya know.... people don't need to be a dick in every post....

June 2, 2018 9:11 am  #7

Management loves it when you donate labour.

June 2, 2018 1:19 pm  #8

Am I the only one who hates Buster Poindexter's version of this song?

David Johansen, aka Buster Poindexter was great in the New York Dolls, but Arrow's versions are the only ones that really do the song justice.  Poindexter is just a pale imitation.  (no racial joke intended)

June 2, 2018 2:19 pm  #9

Peter the K wrote:

Am I the only one who hates Buster Poindexter's version of this song?

David Johansen, aka Buster Poindexter was great in the New York Dolls, but Arrow's versions are the only ones that really do the song justice.  Poindexter is just a pale imitation.  (no racial joke intended)

Had to zip over to YouTube and check out the different artists again. I agree, Aarow does the truest version of "hot hot hot" with the Merrymen just okay. For the purposes of a bumper, I think the schmaltz camp of Buster's vocals on the chorus would be easier for the listeners to hear, the Aarow version could sound tinny and thin. By the by, was it you Peter the K, who mentioned Pinetop Perkins ages ago? I read the name, and went and checked him out. Amazing talent, and I made a note to listen to more of his work.

Re bumpers. Either offering to, or going ahead and putting together a bunch of fresh bumpers could get you bonus points with the boss, or a visit to chez bow wow if he/she is inclined to see it as a criticism of the way the station is sounding. Dua Lipa is a huge up and coming artist that's got a hit summer song, Weezer just did a cover of Toto's "Africa" Three Days Grace has a hit with their Linkin Park ripoff, there's lots to choose from to catch the listeners ear.

Me, I'd whip up "Work Shoes" by U.S.S. , the chorus is perfect for afternoon drive radio.

Now that I know how super easy the tech side of it is, thanks Don and Irvine, I will sneer at my radio the next time "Star Boy" gets re played played played.

Anybody who works in radio, if you are a board op, or have a show, I challenge you to "bumper" fresh content into your lineup.

Last edited by betaylored (June 2, 2018 4:20 pm)

June 2, 2018 3:55 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Management loves it when you donate labour.

Who wouldn't? But, let's be honest, creating bumpers, etc really isn't a long process. If it sweetens the sound of the station and appeals to listeners, someone in the Tower may notice. This, to me, shows that the editor believes in their station and is willing to go above and beyond. It also shows that the editor is familiar with the equipment, whether in-house or at home. That can never be a bad thing.

Now, the counter-argument is "what if the PD's ego is bruised because you're toying with their sound?" Or, "what if he/she takes credit for your work?" My answer: so?! Are we really so thin-skinned that either of those scenarios will crush us? Hopefully not.

June 3, 2018 3:52 pm  #11

betaylored wrote:

By the by, was it you Peter the K, who mentioned Pinetop Perkins ages ago? I read the name, and went and checked him out. Amazing talent, and I made a note to listen to more of his work.

T'was I.  Glad you enjoyed.  One of the most amazing things about youtube is you can "discover" the most amazing music that's been around forever.  There are so many artists in various genres that I've found that just left me speechless.

As for Arrow, he wrote it, and yes, to my ear, it's much more authentic.  As a white Polish kid who got into Reggae & Calypso on my parent's stereo that was locked onto CHIN, I'd tune in on other occasions and once I caught the Calypso sounds J.C. Macdonald was spinning, I was hooked.

June 3, 2018 10:10 pm  #12

Peter the K wrote:

betaylored wrote:

By the by, was it you Peter the K, who mentioned Pinetop Perkins ages ago? I read the name, and went and checked him out. Amazing talent, and I made a note to listen to more of his work.

T'was I.  Glad you enjoyed.  One of the most amazing things about youtube is you can "discover" the most amazing music that's been around forever.  There are so many artists in various genres that I've found that just left me speechless.

As for Arrow, he wrote it, and yes, to my ear, it's much more authentic.  As a white Polish kid who got into Reggae & Calypso on my parent's stereo that was locked onto CHIN, I'd tune in on other occasions and once I caught the Calypso sounds J.C. Macdonald was spinning, I was hooked.

😁

June 3, 2018 11:27 pm  #13

Peter the K wrote:

betaylored wrote:

I missed that, but I had found out about Pinetop many years ago when a regular on the oldiesmusic.com discussion forum mentioned him. Checked him out as a result and so did my father, and we both thought he was great. Good on you for mentioning him here.