sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2018 2:07 pm  #1

Advertisers cheating on radio and tv with Twitter

Advertisers have started tagging people on Twitter, finding them using trending hashtags and it's going over like a lead balloon.

#SundayFunday is a popular choice for some companies, Medieval Times is one, to hit up people with a sales pitch. #MondayMotivation #Caturday the possible avenues are endless.

Has television priced itself out of reach? Did radio raise what's always been considered a reasonable price for air time?

And would this trend and how displeased some are with it make a good story for radio to cover?

June 3, 2018 2:56 pm  #2

Re: Advertisers cheating on radio and tv with Twitter

betaylored wrote:

Advertisers have started tagging people on Twitter, finding them using trending hashtags and it's going over like a lead balloon.

#SundayFunday is a popular choice for some companies, Medieval Times is one, to hit up people with a sales pitch. #MondayMotivation #Caturday the possible avenues are endless.

Has television priced itself out of reach? Did radio raise what's always been considered a reasonable price for air time?

And would this trend and how displeased some are with it make a good story for radio to cover?

With apologies, I have the most absolute minimal comprehension what your point is.  Beyond that, repeat the phrase: "KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE"!  Where are the younger sets flocking to? Social media... well Facebook uptake on millennials and Gen-Z are tumbling. Twitter, Insta and Pin are hot again. Savvy marketers know this and are hitting the dump button on tv and radio en masse.  Some of us saw this coming a while back and adapted. Others......

June 3, 2018 8:12 pm  #3

I question why a company would "cold call" tweet someone, instead of going for the promoted tweets, along with radio and television advertising.

Not sure I believe that companies are ending up tagging people on Twitter simply because advertising on radio and television is that much less effective cGrant.

Last edited by betaylored (June 3, 2018 8:33 pm)

June 3, 2018 9:41 pm  #4

Irvine wrote:

I take offense to advertisers using #Caturday.  #Caturday was the creation of hackers from "B tards" on 4chan.  Of course the funny part is companies are using a term created on one of the most wild, ugly and outright disgusting parts of the internet.  A place that advocates rape, supports Nazi's, etc.  *LOL*.  

I must be naive: "#caturday" is used in my circles as people posting feline (yes, actual cats) pictures on Saturdays. I wasn't aware I was part of some Nazi-generated plot to overthrow the world. meow