sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2018 1:00 am  #1

Friday Flashback: Local Radio Hosts Who Wound Up On Local TV

It’s an often inevitable progression for many in the radio biz – jumping ship to the boob tube to match the face with the voice. (Plus, the money’s better.) Here’s a look back at some Toronto talent who made the leap so you could see how they looked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay Nelson

Yes, he came to fame in this area as “Jungle” Jay with a kid’s show on WKBW-TV, where legend has it, Allan Waters’ kid suggested him for the new CHUM morning show. But he was also busy, at least in the summer of 1966, hosting an obscure CTV show called “It’s Happening.” As you can see by the first week’s guests, and with apologies to Robbie Lane, it wasn’t exactly an all-star line-up.

Jay would later briefly serve as a weatherman on the old CityPulse on City TV. And Nelson wasn’t the only CHUM jock to host an on-air music show. Dave Mickie (aka Marsden) was in front of the camera on the early 60s dance show “Mickie A Go Go.”

Mike Darow

He was on CHUM in the 60s but had bigger plans in TV. Mike Darow would eventually end up on an ABC game show called “Dream House,” which gave contestants a chance to win just that. But before he crossed the border, he hosted another competition on CTV known as “Going Places.” It offered trips as a prize, although knowing the budget for these kinds of Canadian shows in those days, you likely wouldn’t be sent very far.

Larry Solway

I honestly don’t remember Larry Solway having his own TV talk show, but the ad below proves he did. Like many others featured here, it was on CHCH out of Hamilton.

Al Boliska

Former CHUM morning man Al Boliska had his own TV show? Who knew? Well, whoever was watching something called “Point Of You,” a weekly light-hearted look at the news. It aired in 1967.

John Michael

The late, great John Michael, who fronted talk shows on both CJRN and CKTB in St. Catharines-Niagara for many years, often referred to this TV show on air – and not always favourably! It was called “Street Talk” and here’s the proof that it actually did exist back in 1978.

Bob McAdorey

He gained fame on CHUM, but ended his career as a much loved Global-TV personality. In this Canadian TV Guide article from Dec. 1982, McAdorey revealed how close he came to not choosing TV at all.

Elwood Glover

Best known for his “Luncheon Date” show on TV, he also did afternoon drive on CBL, the powerhouse CBC signal that used to be on 740.

Tom Gould

Tom became famous as an international CTV correspondent, but he also appeared for a while on CKEY, doing an afternoon drive newscast. It was popular and he continued on it, until one fateful afternoon when they played his intro and listeners heard only a very loud “arrgh, arrgh.”

Gould had a heart attack on air seconds after turning on his mic. Paramedics saved his life and whisked him to the hospital, but he was never the same after that.

Gord Martineau

Not really a Toronto radio guy, Gord started on that side of the medium in Montreal and Eastern Canada before becoming a famous Toronto TV newscaster. Here he is on CFTO under his real name back in 1974. Early on in his time there, they insisted he go by the name “Gord Martin,” which he did reluctantly. But it always made him angry. When he left CFTO and returned before his long tenure at City TV, he was allowed to use his real moniker, although I don't ever recall him referring to himself as "Gordon," like in the ad below.

Pat Murray

One of the great smooth voices on CKEY and other Toronto stations, Pat Murray was also a regular in the early days of CFTO. This ad is from 1961, not long after the station signed on the air.

June 1, 2018 9:33 am  #2

Re: Friday Flashback: Local Radio Hosts Who Wound Up On Local TV

There was also Music Hop hosted at first by Alex Trebek and then David ( Mickey) Marsden,
Music Hop.

Jackson Armstrong was on TV in Cleveland for a while before he came to Toronto. Here's something I found online about that show:

Last edited by Fitz (June 1, 2018 9:34 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 1, 2018 9:48 am  #3

and oh how could I forget Night Music on TVO with Reiner S.

This is about another well loved show but features Reiner.

I made a recording of RS on cable 10 maybe in the mid 1980's that I may upload to You Tube at some point. A show about employment belive it or not. Not that intersting except that it features RS:

Last edited by Fitz (June 1, 2018 10:04 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 1, 2018 10:09 am  #4

I wish Mac had stayed with radio. He would been great on CKEY, CJCL or AM 740.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 1, 2018 12:25 pm  #5

..and don't forget Rick Moranis.   Certainly not his own television show, and not a local show but from CHUM-FM, to starring roles on SCTV, and beyond.

June 1, 2018 12:32 pm  #6

And again not quite the same as their own television shows, but we briefly got a chance to see what they looked like when both Jeff Ansell and Rick Hodge of CHUM FM did a few weekend fill in stints up in Barrie doing News and Sports on CKVR.
As well, Hodge also hosted a Junior Hockey show called Rinkside.
Gord James, again also of CHUM-FM hosted a skiing based show on CKVR for a couple of years called Ski Base.

June 1, 2018 1:08 pm  #7

Jeff Ansell was a reporter for City TV for several years, so his visage was seen quite a lot. 

June 1, 2018 1:11 pm  #8

Another good example, although not from Toronto, is Kevin O'Connell, who spent years as a rock jock before gravitating to TV. He's been the weatherman at several Queen City stations for years and years. 

June 1, 2018 1:15 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Jeff Ansell was a reporter for City TV for several years, so his visage was seen quite a lot. 

After his brief stint in Barrie, a training ground for a lot of future Television people.

June 1, 2018 1:44 pm  #10

I remember Larry Solway's show.

A side observation...in its day CHCH provided an opportunity for a lot of original news/opinion programming;  in addition to its entertainment productions.

June 1, 2018 2:33 pm  #11

http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/16200/afternoon_delight/details/

Sorry.  Can't find the Globe and Mail Magazine Picture

June 1, 2018 3:40 pm  #12

John D wrote:

http://www.tvarchive.ca/database/16200/afternoon_delight/details/

Sorry.  Can't find the Globe and Mail Magazine Picture

Wow. I don't recall this one at all. But it's fascinating to see who else was on it - Earl McRae and Max Haines, the true crime columnist at The Toronto Sun. Weren't both of them on the air with you at CJCL around the same time in the 80s? 

Here's the Wikipedia entry on it (and yes there IS one!)

June 1, 2018 3:59 pm  #13

Fitz wrote:

and oh how could I forget Night Music on TVO with Reiner S.

This is about another well loved show but features Reiner.

That guy with Reiner in the video is Chas Lawther, aka Chuck The Security Guard, host of the now infamous and much missed "All Night Show" that ran on CFMT, Channel 47 in 1980. (His co-host was a 'cameraman' named Ryerson, played by the late Erroll Bruce.) 

I remember I used to roll my VCR all night on the thing and then watch it the next morning.

The ad below is from the premiere night, Sept. 19, 1980.

June 1, 2018 4:11 pm  #14

Under the category of local radio hosts who wound up on national TV, there's Paul Hanover, CHML's "Mayor of the Morning" for many decades, who also hosted the CTV game show "It's Your Move" for most of its run.  

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

June 1, 2018 4:27 pm  #15

How about Sandy Hoyt? He came from a radio career that led to morning shows on CKFM and CHFI, along with his work on 680 CFTR in between. Sandy is also fondly remembered for his analysis with my dad, Norm, on Jr. Red Wings hockey at CHCH and as a co-host with Susan Hay on Global's Santa Claus Parade broadcast.

June 1, 2018 4:28 pm  #16

And, you wonder why I post the fact that some people wallow and romanticize in the past? Those that have donned on their rose-colored glasses are more than likely not currently employed in the biz. And, those are the very same that most likely gripe about the current state of media and how hard-done-by they currently are because some corporation won't employ them and how they are owned a working wage for life. 

Isn't it "surprising" that museum ticket admissions are at an all-time low and falling? Hmmmmmmm.....

June 1, 2018 4:42 pm  #17

mike marshall wrote:

How about Sandy Hoyt? He came from a radio career that led to morning shows on CKFM and CHFI, along with his work on 680 CFTR in between. Sandy is also fondly remembered for his analysis with my dad, Norm, on Jr. Red Wings hockey at CHCH and as a co-host with Susan Hay on Global's Santa Claus Parade broadcast.

Here are two for you, Mike. The first is a small blurb from the Dec.  29, 1956 edition of TV Guide. The second is self-explanatory  Enjoy!

June 1, 2018 4:52 pm  #18

cGrant wrote:

And, you wonder why I post the fact that some people wallow and romanticize in the past? Those that have donned on their rose-colored glasses are more than likely not currently employed in the biz. And, those are the very same that most likely gripe about the current state of media and how hard-done-by they currently are because some corporation won't employ them and how they are owned a working wage for life.

Careful, you're generalizing, which is a real waste of time. Might I suggest that nobody is forced to read every thread. Let the subject lines be your guide.

June 1, 2018 5:02 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Here are two for you, Mike. The first is a small blurb from the Dec.  29, 1956 edition of TV Guide. The second is self-explanatory  Enjoy!

Thanks, RA. Good bits.

June 1, 2018 6:08 pm  #20

Lets not forget Boom's morning man Stu Jeffries on Good Rocking Tonight, which aired on CBC...

Jon Mahjor and I think Tarzan Dan also hosted...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (June 1, 2018 6:08 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 1, 2018 9:59 pm  #21

Thanks RadioActive.  I left Q to do this Summer TV show.  It was a Summer replacement for the Bob MacLean time slot.  Cindy my producer took a chance on a radio guy.  The ratings were good; but as I was told at the time Bob was coming back.  We did it at Studio 4 on Yonge Street; which is now a Staples store.  Max became a life long friend.  Yes he did do CJCL with me and of course Earl was there as well.  They are both sadly gone now. I went back to CHUM-FM; after the show ended and then on to CJCL.

It was a great Summer.

June 2, 2018 5:50 pm  #22

Don't forget that Al Boliska (while still at CHUM) hosted a local Toronto weekly TV show on CBLT called "On The Scene" that profiled events and performers in the city.  The CHUMmingbirds were on the show once.

Dave Mickie (aka David Marsden) co-hosted "Music Hop" on CBC locally.  His original co-host was Alec Trebek.  Then he handled hosting solo.  David can correct me, but I believe he left CKEY to concentrate on the TV show.