sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2018 8:28 am  #1

Kevin Frankish Leaving BT

It was a sad announcement on Twitter this morning, as Kevin announced his last show is Friday. 

Already speculation on Toronto Mike whether he was pushed or left on his own....

https://twitter.com/KevinFrankish/status/1001422674227224576/photo/1?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=ijg&utm_content=1001424668501438467

never worked ever, in radio

May 29, 2018 10:54 am  #2

Re: Kevin Frankish Leaving BT

Andy Frost, Kevin Frankish.... who's next.

Kevin's tweet says that he'll be doing other projects for the station, but I wonder if that's another version of a hockey team firing a coach or general manager, and then giving them a senior advisor role in the front office.

A possible way to tell, watch Kevin on-air Thursday and Friday for his last two shows. His attitude may be calm enthusiasm, a smile in his eyes or perhaps he'll be reserved, and pleasant, with a practiced professional smile.

Either way, I think there's a lot more to him than what the television audience has seen over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else snaps him up (if that's what he wants).

Last edited by betaylored (May 29, 2018 10:54 am)

May 29, 2018 11:19 am  #3

betaylored wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else snaps him up (if that's what he wants).

Conspiracy possibilities aside, the truth in the pudding will be, depending on his NCC, if he shows up on City Panic Too-Four.

May 29, 2018 11:59 am  #4

Irvine wrote:

rather than wait for the next casualty those working in the business might retrain or look for other venues. 

WHAT?!? The industry isn't allowed to change - ever. Technology isn't allowed to affect those that work in the business. Efficiencies? Budgets? Please. Nope. If someone has worked in the business for any length of time, they must be guaranteed a job for life with full benefits. Personalities must be celebrated simply because they've done the exact same job in the exact same way for any period of time. Music must be frozen in time. Schedules must be frozen in time. Companies and their shareholders are not allowed to make a profit or grow. Companies may not own more than one singe station anywhere on the planet. Etc, etc, etc.

May 29, 2018 2:50 pm  #5

Let the man "retire" in peace...

May 29, 2018 4:45 pm  #6

His goodbye message says he's moving on to do "documentaries for CityTV". Give me a goiter filled with rhubarb-coloured infected pus of a break. Since when has (or will) City air documentaries? Really?!? Their primetime schedule is rife with American simulcasts of popular fare. I highly doubt we'll be seeing a Doc filled with Jo Jo Chintoh impersonators wearing suspenders. 

May 29, 2018 4:59 pm  #7

Chuck99 wrote:

Michael Hainsworth recently left BNN to pursue a career change.  On the Toronto Mike'd podcast, he explained that he thought it would be better to make the move at age 47 than wait and be down-sized when he was older and when career opportunities would be more limited.   But I agree, he is the rare exception.

Most on this bored would disagree. They absolutely believe their employer owes them a job for life. They believe it's NEVER their fault for losing a gig. They believe the management team that forces them out are idiots and wrong. They believe it's cute to use the words "robbers", "bhell" and "corass". They believe that corporate profits and shareholders deserve NOTHING; in fact, they believe they should lose their initial investment and declare bankruptcy. They believe amalgamating traffic schedules amongst similar formats within their clusters is pure demonic possessive possession. They believe they are the centre of the universe and everyone should bow at the altar that is them.

May 29, 2018 11:14 pm  #8

cGrant wrote:

His goodbye message says he's moving on to do "documentaries for CityTV". Give me a goiter filled with rhubarb-coloured infected pus of a break. Since when has (or will) City air documentaries? Really?!? Their primetime schedule is rife with American simulcasts of popular fare. I highly doubt we'll be seeing a Doc filled with Jo Jo Chintoh impersonators wearing suspenders. 

On an Ironic note, Avrey Haines left CityNews because she chose to focus more on Documentaries. 
If Kevin Frankish is sticking around...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2018 12:24 am  #9

Well perhaps CityTV is starting its own version of W5?  Frankish would be a great candidate to host such a series.

May 30, 2018 2:22 am  #10

TomTV wrote:

Well perhaps CityTV is starting its own version of W5? Frankish would be a great candidate to host such a series.

How are the ratings for W5 in 2018? 
Is there room to compete with it?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2018 11:04 am  #11

TomTV wrote:

Well perhaps CityTV is starting its own version of W5? Frankish would be a great candidate to host such a series.

Rogers actually spending money on Can-Can for their primetime, instead of buffing up their schedule and doing battle with Global and CTV? I doubt it. Long-form investigative docs are not a thing for the much-valued demos of 2018.

June 1, 2018 12:19 am  #12

There is another possibility: the documentaries are only meant to keep Kevin busy for some indeterminate period of time while the execs carefully watch what happens to the ratings of BreakfastTV. 

If they nosedive severely without Kevin as anchor, City then has the option of just moving him back quietly to his old job -- basically pull an Ann Rohmer so to speak, and pretend like "Uhm, let's pretend he never left at all". 

This could be why they didn't outright let him leave completely, to keep him as a fallback and prevent him from getting scooped up by competitors.

June 1, 2018 1:21 pm  #13