sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2015 12:48 pm  #1

News not mentioned in City TV fall schedule

I know.. 2 days in a row..  but it's another good story angle from Weisblott!
And it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rogers walked away from news.  My nightlyt routine is City news @ 11 and CTV at 11.30, but the 11.30 is PVR'd on the off chance I miss them.  News is an expensive proposition to do properly, and a waste of time, reources and electricity if you don't. So you either give it your all, or walk away. I think the days of 'CityPulse' are behind us.  Especially when you consider during the winter they could regularly run western hockey games without having to piss off regular news viewers.

<Via 12:36> (Read by me at 12:45... posted at 12:48...  10-4.)

Rogers Media has unveiled the 2015–16 schedule for City Television. But one thing is missing from the release: any reference to its nightly newscasts. 

The company has been actively cutting back on such programs—most recently replacing them with discussion-oriented shows on the multilingual Omni channels, and turning its Edmonton nightly news into the much cheaper Dinner Television chat show. 

Paying reporters to put a story together for a just a couple minutes of local airtime is a pricey proposition Rogers seems more than willing to get rid of where they can. So, despite unprecedented attention for reporter Shauna Hunt and the #FHRITP showdown, whether Toronto’s CityNews sticks around in its current format much longer remains to be seen. For now, anyway, Gord Martineau remains on his job of 38 years.

Last edited by ig (June 2, 2015 12:50 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 3, 2015 6:15 pm  #2

Re: News not mentioned in City TV fall schedule

After reading the release, I have a feeling the reason they left it out, was simply because CITY is being done as a national 3rd private national network.  Toronto is the only market with a regular 6pm and 11pm newscast.   To mention it on a national level, makes the annoucement sound "too Toronto" to markets outside Ontario.    I think the logic to this press release is a national one, and mentioning something uniform between all City station's makes sense, vs shows like CityNEWS that only run on Toronto's City. 

I could be completely wrong on this, but I'm betting in Toronto; BT, CityNEWS etc. will all be returning.

June 3, 2015 7:19 pm  #3

radiokid wrote:

I could be completely wrong on this, but I'm betting in Toronto; BT, CityNEWS etc. will all be returning.

Same here, I know nothing about it, but based on ratings and revenue, BT would probably be untouchable, but 6 and 11, especially 11 might be a tough sell.  They removed it from weekends for just long enough that people found another source, then brought it back, so who knows.  But if they're becoming more of a 'sports' station, the 6 to 7pm block would be attractive for afternoon games on the west coast or even european sports rebroadcasts.  And a lot cheaper.

I for one hope they don't, being the news junkie that I am, but I'm guessing people would migrate quickly over to CTV if it was pulled.

June 3, 2015 9:34 pm  #4

Citynews Toronto is a full two hours on Saturday nights, starting at 10.
That's interesting. 
It tells me that people (in Toronto) want CityNews.

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 3, 2015 9:35 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 3, 2015 9:46 pm  #5

So isn't the new hockey format just poking the bear then?  I'm guessing from September through June or whenever hockey season ends, there would be a game or 2 every Saturday night?  Though I'm showing my complete ignorance of anything sports, especially hockey. 

Radiowiz wrote:

That's interesting.  It tells me that people (in Toronto) want CityNews. 

June 4, 2015 1:13 am  #6

ig wrote:

So isn't the new hockey format just poking the bear then?  I'm guessing from September through June or whenever hockey season ends, there would be a game or 2 every Saturday night?  Though I'm showing my complete ignorance of anything sports, especially hockey. 

Radiowiz wrote:

That's interesting.  It tells me that people (in Toronto) want CityNews. 

Saturday night hockey is usually over by 10 PM (overtime excluded) is it not?
Even when it runs over, at least there's no "Programming already in progress" after the game. News starts from the begining right after Hockey...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.