sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2018 9:36 am  #1

Lyndsey Vanstone now Executive Assistant to Doug Ford

Formerly with Newstalk 1010, Lyndsey Vanstone has turned her not inconsiderable skills to framing Doug Ford in an intelligent, flattering light.

As the reporter in the Ford campaign ads presented as a news report, she's a new presence in the political landscape. The National Post has referred to the reports as "simulated news".

The wisdom and honesty of using these reports to reach voters sparked a conversation on 1010's roundtable this morning, with John Moore calling Lyndsey's reports "unpaid advertising". Other roundtable participants felt they're "fake news" and it was debated as to whether or not the average person could tell the difference, or would bother to do so.

The wisdom of Ms.Vanstone investing her professional credibility, reputation and future with Ford hangs on the results of the election. It's a bold, brave move. Go get 'em Lyndsey.

May 4, 2018 10:31 am  #2

Re: Lyndsey Vanstone now Executive Assistant to Doug Ford

*sigh* I used to quite respect Ms. Vanstone.  Key on the word "used".  With this new insight to her integrity & willingness to join forces with a con-man, I guess we can now refer to her as "Kellyanne".

May 4, 2018 10:35 am  #3

betaylored wrote:

It's a bold, brave move. Go get 'em Lyndsey.

If John Moore can endorse Frank Leo & a magic pillow, surely he can understand Ms. Vanstone taking this on, no? 

May 4, 2018 11:12 am  #4

Electronic press kits have been around forever, I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is on Ford creating them also, other than, as EPK's were designed to do, they tend to take the editorial decisions away from professional critics and put those tools in the hands of others.    

He just has a better distribution model in place (Facebook, Twitter et alia) than companies have had in the past, and dones't rely on a 'newsroom' editor or reporter acting as the propagator for the information.

This whole debate kind of reminds of people calling "Canada newswire" the Business wire.  If you didn't understand the difference, you shouldn't have been allowed in a newsroom.  Both served a purpose, but very very different ones.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 4, 2018 11:53 am  #5

Kilgore wrote:

If John Moore can endorse Frank Leo & a magic pillow, surely he can understand Ms. Vanstone taking this on, no? 

The difference is huge. John Moore is a show host, while Ms. Vanstone is a reporter. Hers is supposed to be an objective report.

May 4, 2018 11:53 am  #6

McGuinty did the same thing a few elections ago, calling it "Liberal TV." 

Not only fake news, but also old news!

May 4, 2018 5:15 pm  #7

Charlie wrote:

Since when was Vanstone a reporter?  She was a producer on the 640 morning show
Some people aren't fooled, but most probably will be.  Sneaky, slightly dishonest, but hardly illegal. 

Who is saying this is illegal?

Yup. Vanstone did some reporting early on.

As for people being fooled?  I'm betting 98.9% of the audience WILL be fooled, yes.  Audiences, subscribers, patients, etc. are ALL beyond emotionally, developmentally and physiologically retarded. (And, I use the proper form of that term.)  Audiences, en masse, ARE BUBBERING IDIOTS. They accept and swallow any and all inbound information that passes their pathetic excuse of a life.

My first mentor taught me that. He'd retch, heave and spit on listener letters and was known to drag those letters to the lavatory and use them as toilet paper. If he found a return address, he'd mail the very soiled letters back to the minion.

He disdained any and all audience with a passion. Ultimately, he took enough pills to chock the gut of an obese walmart shopper and shot himself with a hunter's gauge shotgun to the brain. The slatter pattern was impressive according to the M.E.

May 4, 2018 6:01 pm  #8

Charlie wrote:

Vanstone is just playing the part of a news reporter, to shill for Ford.  Nothing more, nothing less, and no worse than the rest of the lies that politicians try to pass off as 'truth'. 

Yup. And, hence, the absolute end of her short career. Very near-sighted. VERY. Who is going to hire her for a REAL reporting gig after this. I guess it's back to being an ever-interrupting board bunny on one of 640's also-ran yakkers. Pity.

May 4, 2018 7:25 pm  #9

Her reputation is now attached to DoFo, much like Oakley was welded to RoFo. If DoFo fails she is finished in the biz.

May 5, 2018 1:38 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

Her reputation is now attached to DoFo, much like Oakley was welded to RoFo. If DoFo fails she is finished in the biz.

John Oakley is therefore indirectly responsible for the Corus Entertainment shares in my RRSP having gone down the toilet?  

May 5, 2018 1:40 pm  #11

Shit, now I will never be able to afford to retire.     Have to work till I'm 85 like some of those broadcasters RadioActive digs up here from time to time

May 5, 2018 1:50 pm  #12

Chrisphen wrote:

Her "flexible" integrity has now been displayed for all to see. 

Doesn't matter if DoFo wins or loses; her willingness to shill for a con-man has been set. 

May 5, 2018 1:55 pm  #13

g121 wrote:

her willingness to shill for a con-man has been set. 

Stay tuned for her "personal endorsements" for pillows, real estate agents, unemployment lawyers, precious metals, men's clothiers, airport seminars, primerica and pink weight loss potions....

May 5, 2018 1:58 pm  #14

For fuck sake, It's a job, the integrity or lack thereof, imho could also easily be attributed to anyone who works for McGuinty, Wynne, or any politician anywhere on the planet.   Same thing for people who work for certain radio companies that I wouldn't trust nor want to be associated with.  They have bills to pay, and very possibly don't share my opinion of the company or person.

As usual, I love how people hiding behind their fucking pseudonyms are so quick to bravely call out real people.  It's so simple sitting in your underwear in front of the computer monitor to call out people that you assume will never react. 

It's one of the reasons, on the few occasions it's happened, I've gladly given boardhost my go ahead (not that they'd need it with a subpoena) to release IP information of posters to the appropriate authorities, when lawyers start poking and prodding around here.  I'm certainly not going to invest 1c of my money in protecting the 'identity' of some clown who feels he/she answers to nobody.  Reality is, you do.  

Having said that, if I do try to respond to you via e-mail, and discover it's a 'disposable' e-mail address, consider your account nuked.  Either update it with real contact information, or go away.  Simple choices.

Closing this thread because it's sliding into stupid name calling and the usual political bullshit that I honestly don't have time or interest in.

For today, it's just the thread that's being closed, but I'm very close to walking from the entire thing.  The majority of posters are so predictable I could write their stuff for them, and their multiple personalities.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.