sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2018 11:17 pm  #1

Why Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study is bad news for Radio PDs

I’d be losing a lot of sleep at night if I was still the Program Director at Newstalk 1010 in Toronto, after listening to the Edison Research and Triton webinar about the penetration of online digital audio in Canada. The inaugural Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study explores the online platforms and technologies replacing that box we call a radio.

Here is the scariest part of the study.

The Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study shows 51% of 18-34 year-olds don’t own a radio at home.  That's one in two millennials who don't have either an AM or FM radio where they live. How is that not bad news for a PD who depends on 18-34 listeners for job security, never mind their ratings bonus?

The latest competition to radio are podcasts. This year has seen an explosion in the popularity of podcasts in Canada according to the Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study. Check out this slide:

I fiound the Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study is a bit overwhelming. My take is that all the people with buds in their ears walking, cycling, driving, using public transportation or sitting in cafes have become a generation of digital zombies!

Click here to read the latest On The Kowch Blog

Last edited by kowchmedia (April 17, 2018 11:18 pm)

April 20, 2018 11:29 am  #2

Re: Why Infinite Dial Canada 2018 Study is bad news for Radio PDs

To me this is where this story runs flat.  As long as the stations are PPM encoding their streams, they get full credit, as someone wiser than me said the other day, this isn't about the death of radio, this is about people moving to an alternate delivery method.   We have a radio in the shower, but that's about it for the house.  But there's radios on all over the place, NT1010 or 680, Boom or Kiss depending on which room you go into.  All being streamed as opposed to 'received'.  That's the only difference.

One of the huge mistakes stations make though is archiving their board feeds for interviews etc. as opposed to archiving the bus feed.  When someone re-listens to a podcast or archived clip, if it's just the board feed there's no ppm credit there, if it's the bus feed or off-air, then the boxes have at least a chance of picking up the encoding.   

So it's not about the demise of radio by any stretch, but if owners are allowing their stuff on the internet without watermarking it, they're missing out on possibly a ton of ratings points, especially like in Toronto, where that one person listening back to the podcast version of the show could represent 5000 listeners, or the difference between a point or 4 depending on the day and hour.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 21, 2018 1:40 pm  #3

Chuck99 wrote:

The future of radio, television and newspapers will depend on the success of monetizing their digital offerings.  Those that succeed in doing so, will survive.

So then...as has always been the case...CONTENT will continue to matter.  The delivery of the 'offerings' won't 'really' matter.  The info-content will.  As elsewhere is already more than adequately covered...it'll be HERE/Right Here which matters.  Local will be more important than regional which will be more important than nondescript.

April 21, 2018 3:05 pm  #4

What the Illuminati here seem to forget is the "average" listener doesn't give a chocolate-covered brussel sprout that's been found in an airplane lavatory's ass about the vast majority of minutia that's discussed here.  They don't give a fig if the playlist on their chosen station is the exact same as in the next market over. They couldn't throw a pitted-peach it the announcer they are listening to is voicetracking from his basement and uploading the elements to five different stations. They couldn't pick their grandma's nose and care what the branding is. And, most importantly, they couldn't slice into a Ukrainian cheesecake filled with earwax and toenail clippings about the station's history.

And, they sure as a warm Yukon spring day in hell could care less about the jocks, themselves.  Face it, the last time you went to the hospital, did you give a shaved cat about the nurse or the minion that cleaned your floor and disturbingly-stained toilet? Or the clerk at the parking tollbooth? No? Well, the same is true about the "average" listener caring about the guy in that radio box.

Sometimes, we overestimate the importance of all the wasted vitriol and navel-gazing we do here. Truly.

April 21, 2018 5:25 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

I saved the part which made any sense whatsoever.  The rest was just your usual 'drivel'.  Why I've done this for you I don't know.  Guess I haven't taken the time to utilize the IGNORE function... ... ...yet.

April 21, 2018 5:41 pm  #6

Old Codger wrote:

The rest was just your usual 'drivel'.  

Bait taken.

Ironic for you to cite me for my "usual drivel".  Irony, indeed, coming from a one-note poster.

Old Codger wrote:

Guess I haven't taken the time to utilize the IGNORE function... ... ...yet. 

That said, I just took "the time to utilize the ignore function".  Thank you.

April 21, 2018 11:08 pm  #7

There IS a gawd.

April 22, 2018 9:50 am  #8

Old Codger wrote:

cGrant wrote:

I saved the part which made any sense whatsoever.  The rest was just your usual 'drivel'.  Why I've done this for you I don't know.  Guess I haven't taken the time to utilize the IGNORE function... ... ...yet.

Post of the year.

April 22, 2018 12:12 pm  #9

maybo wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Post of the year.

Thank you, Chris!  I worked real hard on that punctuation.

April 22, 2018 7:18 pm  #10

cGrant wrote:

maybo wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Post of the year.

Ideal choice for the font, too!

April 22, 2018 8:46 pm  #11

maybo wrote:

cGrant wrote:

maybo wrote:

Post of the year.

Ideal choice for the font, too!

Yeah. Although, I was thinking of going rogue and maybe use some italic.