sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 9, 2018 9:43 pm  #1

JACK FM in Central Ontario ??

Posing a question for anyone who may know.
As noted in an earlier topic Bell has taken over Larche Communications with stations in Central Ontario, Barrie, Midland and area.
Now there are spots running on one of the new Bell stations 104.1 The Dock asking "..what's Jack."   There are also billboards in Barrie asking the same question.
Please tell me that Bell is not converting one of the stations to the Jack format.   
From what I have been able to find, all Jack stations in Canada are owned by Rogers, so this doesn't really make any sense, 
As well, The Dock is a great branding for a station in this area, being as it really is cottage country just north of Toronto.   Perfect fit.
Sadly though if this is what is being done it would not surprise me.   As my mother would say.."Bell could screw up a one car funeral.

April 9, 2018 11:14 pm  #2

Re: JACK FM in Central Ontario ??

Sounds like Bob FM is coming? That would make more sense. 
Bell has several BOB FM's in various markets...except Ottawa, where that BOB went Country a few years ago.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 9, 2018 11:20 pm  #3

Jack FM from Vancouver is still apparently carried by Rogers digital on channel 906 in the GTA. I have not listened to the station for more than a minute or two.Wonder if anyone else does ?

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 10, 2018 12:33 pm  #4

The DOCK is the most perfect name for such a station up there I love listening to it (or probably used to as I didnt go up in awhile until summer).

BOB FM?  Thats really dumb sounding.  Bell Media to me is like walking into Tim Hortons.  Cookie cutter, lack of any kind of proper taste.

April 10, 2018 1:43 pm  #5

And, how is this different than what the CBC does?  Same Coast-to-Coast. 💤

April 10, 2018 2:52 pm  #6

Lets see what happens to Vista Radio's MOOSE FM stations.  Those are all disctincly local and offer great programming. 

April 10, 2018 3:01 pm  #7

Hey!  You want to have the perfect station, with the perfect local jocks, perfect mix and perfect clock? Buy your own damn station.  In fact, buy a couple dozen -- and run them completely independently with no centralization or voicetracking.  Don't combine absolutely any element, department or format even it they are inside a local cluster.  Don't dare change formats.  After all, it's YOUR station and you have nobody to answer to.  Even if you have a partnership or shareholders, who cares about them or profit!

Ridiculous, you say?  When then, don't whine if someone else does it.

April 10, 2018 3:29 pm  #8

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

As noted in an earlier topic Bell has taken over Larche Communications with stations in Central Ontario, Barrie, Midland and area.
Now there are spots running on one of the new Bell stations 104.1 The Dock asking "..what's Jack."   There are also billboards in Barrie asking the same question.
Please tell me that Bell is not converting one of the stations to the Jack format.   
From what I have been able to find, all Jack stations in Canada are owned by Rogers, so this doesn't really make any sense, 
As well, The Dock is a great branding for a station in this area, being as it really is cottage country just north of Toronto.   Perfect fit.
Sadly though if this is what is being done it would not surprise me.   As my mother would say.."Bell could screw up a one car funeral.

2...maybe 3 things...

1.  People in the 'big smoke' may think that Barrie is located in central Ontario.  Maybe people in Barrie think so too.  It isn't.  Not really even close.  Barrie is merely and only ,now, but a suburb of the G.T.A.

2.  People in the 'big smoke'...you know...the same twits who call Muskoka "The Muskokas"...wouldn't even likely consider Barrie to be located in "cottage country".  Lake Couchiching...is 'arguably' the almost start but really?  Cottage Country  is to be found in Muskoka, Hailburton and up Parry Sound way.  [You know...the extreme lower portion of 'Central Ontario'...which extends up to the northern tips of North Bay.  As you exit from "The Gateway City" to travel the Trans Canada Highway either via Highway 11 or 17 you begin to experience the near North...The southern extremities of Northern Ontario.]  Barrie just has that big-ass Simcoe for a lake...and a whole heap of cottages which are, often, inhabited year round. 

3.  Your Mom is right about the funeral procession...And Bell?  They definitely don't know 'jack' when it comes to any radio format.  They used to know phones.  Then there's now.

April 10, 2018 5:11 pm  #9

So that the big yellow board is not sexist, there was also Alice:
This from the Buffalo News precisely 21 years ago - April 8, 1997:WSJZ-FM 92.9 has dropped its smooth jazz format, including music by Kenny G and David Sanborn. It has switched to such acts as the Goo Goo Dolls, Alanis Morissette, No Doubt, Hootie & the Blowfish, R.E.M. and the Cranberries."We needed a change. Smooth jazz just wasn't meeting our expectations," said Jeff Silver, general manager of WSJZ and a vice president of American Radio Systems of Boston, the station owner.The new station simply bills itself as "Alice."

April 10, 2018 5:27 pm  #10

Old Codger wrote:

Barrie just has that big-ass Simcoe for a lake . . . and a whole heap of cottages which are, often inhabited year round. 

"Cottages" on Simcoe (FM 101.1, a division of Q-107 + a half dozen others) along with Midland (FM 104.1, a division of George Cope Broadcasting) and the Bayshore outfits from Owen Sound have to deal w. the fact that "cottages" are often dark from Dec. 1 to April 30 (5 months) when it evidently is difficult to sell time except to car dealerships.  That's not criticism; the area is growing but growth is retirees -- people who can get AM-740 with no difficulty, and so they do. 

Over to you, Codg 

April 10, 2018 5:37 pm  #11

anything north of highway 7 is "northern ontario" right?

Actually, @geo, the market for winter tourism is expanding amongst snowmobilers, skiers, and people attracted to the region for winter getaway deals, or festivals.  "the muskokas" aren't as dead as it once was.  Granted, it ain't the summer bonanza, but it does maintain itself to a degree in radio sales.

April 10, 2018 5:42 pm  #12

As opposed to up in 'cottage country' where they're 90 something percent dark from Thanksgiving 'til Victoria Day geo? 

Look...Bob and Doug and Jack and whomever/whatever FM are useless 'noms de plume'.  They're like an inside joke and have no real meaning or connection to any community.  Wanna forget call letters and go with something more memorable you cheap lazy turds out there in 'Imagingville'?  At least pick a name that connects with your town, city or community.  Jack?  Puuuuuuulease!!!!!  Better yet.  Buy some jingle$.  Coke and McDonalds made billion$ using jingle$.  Jingle$ help people to remember what they're listening to.  They even $ing 'em.

Oh ... sorry ... I forgot ... that costs money.

It also makes money.

April 10, 2018 5:53 pm  #13

splunge wrote:

the market for winter tourism is expanding amongst snowmobilers, skiers, and people attracted to the region for winter getaway deals, or festivals.

Will tourists re-align their radio buttons for FM 97.7 the Beach or Rock 95 (FM 95.7) while in the area for the weekend?

April 10, 2018 6:23 pm  #14

splunge wrote:

the market for winter tourism is expanding amongst snowmobilers, skiers, and people attracted to the region for winter getaway deals, or festivals.  "the muskokas" aren't as dead as it once was.  Granted, it ain't the summer bonanza, but it does maintain itself to a degree in radio sales.

Be serious -- winter activities in Muskoka is only vibrant for the last couple decades.  Nobody on this board keeps track of anything post 1957-CHUM summer.  No, they're all in Florida for the winter, driving 15 kph in the fast lane, screaming at the young whipper-snappers. 

April 10, 2018 7:34 pm  #15

cGrant wrote:

Be serious -- winter activities in Muskoka is only vibrant for the last couple decades.  Nobody on this board keeps track of anything post 1957-CHUM summer.  No, they're all in Florida for the winter, driving 15 kph in the fast lane, screaming at the young whipper-snappers. 

Make seasonal cottages illegal and we're good. 

April 10, 2018 9:33 pm  #16

aah cgrant, i love how you troll this board seeking an argument.  good for you sir!

April 10, 2018 9:54 pm  #17

@geo, yes, especially if the format and local info appeals to listeners. If they want rock, then sure, rock95 will stick.  if bell screws up the dock, then they lost.  vista has a lock on ac, and don't forget bayshore has a licence for country in gravenhurst that will, eventually, get on the air.

April 10, 2018 10:42 pm  #18

splunge wrote:

aah cgrant, i love how you troll this board seeking an argument.  good for you sir!

Trolling? Hardly. Show me where, in that statement, I'm wrong. Go ahead.

April 10, 2018 11:43 pm  #19

cGrant wrote:

splunge wrote:

Trolling? Hardly. Show me where, in that statement, I'm wrong. Go ahead.

I wasn't even alive back in 1957 myself...

April 12, 2018 10:18 am  #20

CHAY-FM used to own the Cottage Country Market, with sold out weekends at drive time rates, a quarter-million listeners weekly and a 2 share in Toronto.  Of course, Corus put a stop to that!

April 12, 2018 1:33 pm  #21

PaulR wrote:

CHAY-FM used to own the Cottage Country Market, with sold out weekends at drive time rates, a quarter-million listeners weekly and a 2 share in Toronto.  Of course, Corus put a stop to that!

Yes...this station dominated that market back in the day, so did their signal.   Now...what a waste.

Rock 95 is another one thats done well in years up there, im not sure about now but that format and station name is still running I believe since the 80s.

April 12, 2018 11:08 pm  #22

markow202 wrote:

PaulR wrote:

Yes...this station dominated that market back in the day, so did their signal.   Now...what a waste.

Rock 95 is another one thats done well in years up there, im not sure about now but that format and station name is still running I believe since the 80s.

Rock 95 is still a little guy company, so it's no surprise they didn't change to a cookie cutter format of some sort.

April 13, 2018 7:45 am  #23

markow202 wrote:

PaulR wrote:

No offense to the people who still romanticize Chay but it wouldn't exist today no matter what.  Schlocky elevator music with a low energy morning show isn't really a recipe for success in 2018.

April 13, 2018 11:18 am  #24

CHAY, operated by the folks who knew it best, would exist today but would have evolved to meet audience demands as it did for the first 24 years of its life before Corus blew it up in 2000.  Yes, when it signed on in the 1970's it played schlocky elevator music, but the playlist was very current for the final years of the station's existence and the audience numbers were still in the 250,000 listeners per week range and growing.  Sales numbers were still solid, so I believe a regional soft rock non-corporate sounding station with a meaningful news component would still serve the region well.  The station spent a great deal of time and money on programming and was dedicated to serving the local and regional audience first.  Isn't that what is missing from today's corporate radio formats?  Tune in to it today if you want to hear the exact opposite.  

April 13, 2018 12:26 pm  #25

Prod Guy wrote:

markow202 wrote:

PaulR wrote:

No offense to the people who still romanticize Chay but it wouldn't exist today no matter what.  Schlocky elevator music with a low energy morning show isn't really a recipe for success in 2018.

As noted, it would have obviously evolved.  It was quality that you were listening to in terms of personality, local involvement but again thats changed these days in radio so yes this is all a reminiscence of what used to be.  

One thing I remember is how serious sounding the news reporters were.  Its like the world was ending.

April 13, 2018 3:23 pm  #26

PaulR wrote:

CHAY, operated by the folks who knew it best, would exist today but would have evolved to meet audience demands as it did for the first 24 years of its life before Corus blew it up in 2000.  Yes, when it signed on in the 1970's it played schlocky elevator music, but the playlist was very current for the final years of the station's existence and the audience numbers were still in the 250,000 listeners per week range and growing.  Sales numbers were still solid, so I believe a regional soft rock non-corporate sounding station with a meaningful news component would still serve the region well.  The station spent a great deal of time and money on programming and was dedicated to serving the local and regional audience first.  Isn't that what is missing from today's corporate radio formats?  Tune in to it today if you want to hear the exact opposite.  

Best way to sum it all up - at one time most radio stations were owned by people with a passion for radio. Corporate stations today are owned by people who couldn't care less about radio.

April 13, 2018 5:11 pm  #27

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

This is the original posting. 
This is what I suspect they mean:
Before Country, there was Jack FM Orillia...but...where's Jack? 
Oh well...thankfully there's the Dock FM...or is it...BOB fm??? 

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 13, 2018 5:11 pm)