sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2018 9:53 pm  #1

Punch Andrews

Hard to believe but today marks the 10th anniversary of Chris 'Punch' Andrews' death.  I was as shocked as anyone in the building.  He was always so full of life, and just so madly in love with his job, being on the radio and entertaining everyone.  Just 6 months after being diagnosed with lung cancer, he was gone.

Without exception he was 'up', 'happy' and 'on'.   In another time and place he would have been one of the 'boss jocks' that are so revered today.  A kind, generous and funny friend.  And I miss him still today.

-------------8<----------------------
Astral Radio Personality Chris "Punch"Andrews passes away
Sun, 2008-03-30 11:19.
Lori Paris

A sad day for the Astral Media family, as we mourn the loss of our own.

Chris "Punch" Andrews passed away at 4:30 this morning, losing his battle with lung cancer. He was 43

Punch was our fill in traffic reporter here at CFRB, going by Chris Andrews when Guy Valentine was away, and as Punch he hosted a weekend show on our sister station, 99.9 MIX FM.

Punch started his career working at Cable 10 in Aurora as an on-air host at the age of 17.

While studying radio and television at Ryerson, Punch started working at a radio station in Newmarket, eventually leaving to take on a job as a producer at AM 640.

After 3 months doing that, Punch went to Prince Edward Island to take on the roll of evening announcer at All-hits CFCY.

Two years later, Punch was hired to do over nights at MIX 99.9 in Toronto. He then moved to evenings 7pm to midnight, moving on to become a swing announcer and host of the Saturday Night Party MIX on 99.9 MIX FM.

Punch also taught Communications Technology classes at Vaughan Secondary School and Humber College.

In Lieu of flowers, Punch had asked that donations be made to Canadian Cancer society

A tribute to Punch is available on our web site at cfrb dot com, and a special tribute will air tonight on CFRB between 9 and 10 tonight

Godspeed Punch, we'll miss you.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

March 30, 2018 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Punch Andrews

Punch was truly one of the good guys.  A real guy.

A real loss.  Still.

March 31, 2018 12:53 am  #3

I'll never forget his CKAN days. (Energy 1480)
He was a pro even then. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 1, 2018 1:06 pm  #4

Hard to believe. 10 years. I worked across the hall; from Punch at Standard.   God Bless You Punch. You were always positive ; with a smile on your face. Greetings; from the west coast.