sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 28, 2018 5:39 pm  #1

Why The Ontario Liberal Budget Is Like The Greatest Radio Contest Ever

I debated whether to post this, given this is not supposed to be a political forum. But while I was out walking the dog on Wednesday listening to the droning voice of Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa reading the bloated Liberal budget, it suddenly occurred to me that what I was actually hearing was a retread of what could arguably be called the greatest radio promotion in history.

I’m talking about "The Last Contest," which originated at KCBQ in San Diego and was syndicated to radio stations all over North America – most notably in the GTA on CFTR and CHAM in Hamilton.

In case you missed that remarkably hyped hit that helped put the fledgling CHUM challenger on the map, it involved a series of intricately and incredibly produced promos that promised listeners they could win "prize packages" filled with jet planes, huge yachts, new houses, trips around the world, your own tropical island and unbelievable one time only events (like getting the O’Keefe Centre rented out to you and your friends for a night, with a promise of a limousine ride to the venue and a standing ovation no matter what you did.)

It was a breathtaking idea, giving away potential fantasy prizes, some worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

There was just one catch. You had to be the right caller at the right time when they gave out the secret phone number. And of course, they only gave out the number twice in the entire six months or so that the thing ran. So in effect, they promised you the moon and barely gave away a clog of dirt. It was brilliant and yet you couldn’t turn it off.

Fast forward several decades and the Liberal budget is doing the exact same thing – giving away every conceivable goodie while not actually having to deliver any of them.

So as much as I hope we never see their likes again after June 7th, I have to give them credit for taking a lesson from a classic radio element that appealed to the greed in all of us.

And let’s just hope this truly is their Last Contest.

March 28, 2018 5:44 pm  #2

Re: Why The Ontario Liberal Budget Is Like The Greatest Radio Contest Ever

that kind of spin on a story is worthy of The Rebel, or Fox news!

March 28, 2018 5:51 pm  #3

Actually, I'm not a member of any party, I'm just sick of this one. But I really just wanted a way to remember The Last Contest, which I still consider the greatest radio promotion ever. If you've never heard it, it's worth a listen.

The Last Contest 

March 28, 2018 6:08 pm  #4

All that's missing is Tom to front Kathleen Whine's announcements by butchering the language. Followed by Saul to meander and wheeze some absurd story about him and old Kathy hosting a trunk show on Danforth. Add some Jack injecting some babble about the other parties are forever going out of business. Heck, free My Pillows for everyone.

March 28, 2018 6:57 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

All that's missing is Tom to front Kathleen Whine's announcements by butchering the language. Followed by Saul to meander and wheeze some absurd story about him and old Kathy hosting a trunk show on Danforth. Add some Jack injecting some babble about the other parties are forever going out of business. Heck, free My Pillows for everyone.

Is there a point to your incessant babble?   Same tripe over & over & over again.  Basically, as predictable, boring and pointless as the faux Frank D'Angelo worship posts.  

March 28, 2018 7:43 pm  #6

see what you started RadioActive?

March 28, 2018 9:25 pm  #7

They're all the same R.A...Promise the world...deliver the proceeds collected in the 'basement' of the outhouse.  And if you read my 'prattles' about current music radio programming...that's pretty much what they serve up as well.  Been delivering those goods for close to 1/4 of a century...ever since a never-ending diet of hip/hop, rap and dancin' 24/7 became the 'thing'.  [It never became the 'thing']

Talk radio?  They just add to the 'basement' supplies.

March 29, 2018 12:55 am  #8

Chuck99 wrote:

The whole budget smacks of desperation.  Its truly an example of throwing a lot of shyte at the wall and hoping some sticks.

Liberals first mistake is beyond the reality of cost. Nice to offer something for day care, but where is the promise to shut down the illegal daycare centres? 
Both the Conservatives and NDP OTOH also fail to promise both care for daycare and the shutting down of illegal daycares all in the same breath.

Sadly, Doug himself is all hot air, fully supportive of illegal daycare centres.
He doesn't care where parents leave their kids. 
He doesn't care who can afford what.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.