sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2018 12:45 pm  #31

Re: Paul Bliss

TomTV wrote:

He was already investigated, by his employer and subsequently fired. 

I find it highly ironic, that in another thread, you infer that you distrust the corporations and their transmittal of news, citing only a public broadcaster can do it justice.  Yet, here, you are willing to accept only the corporation's side as a conclusive closure on the allegations.

Colour me cynical, but, this "investigation" was nothing more than optics. They knew they'd be under fire if they did nothing.  So, they "investigated" and terminated.  In my books, that's not the ultimate pinnacle of the issue.  At all.

March 14, 2018 4:58 pm  #32

No, I am more than willing to hear Mr Bliss' side as well. If anything, he should contact Ms Christie Blatchford (who has spoken up for the men being accused by women) and do an interview with her.

He didn't commit a crime that should see him go to court and face jailtime, but what he presumably did was extremely unprofessional and quite frankly, gross. He still deserves the chance to offer up a mea culpa and then begin to repair his reputation if he wants to keep working in the industry. And I think people, including myself, can be very forgiving - men especially can understand sexual desire driving a person to do something stupid. Most men are able to recognize where to draw the line though, between flirtation/dating and harassment/inappropriate advances.

I'm willing to trust the corporation's view because it falls within the parameters of who is an adequate judge of this type situation: this is not a case of an ongoing predatory behavior like with Harvey Weinstein, just a one-time event. I don't think it ever needed to go to the courts, and even Ms Brown as said she didn't want that. So if the victim is fine with, there's no reason not to let them handle it.

Also, regarding the CBC, I didn't say ONLY the public broadcaster should deliver the news. I said I do not trust a world whereby ONLY corporations deliver the news. I want COMPETING viewpoints delivered by different sources with different agendas. As already noted, somewhere in the middle of all that, there's usually the truth.

March 14, 2018 11:25 pm  #33

TomTV wrote:

If anything, he should contact Ms Christie Blatchford

Wouldn't he be better served turning to a competent PR firm rather than a bottom-shelf gadfly hack?

March 14, 2018 11:35 pm  #34

Other than Steve Paikin, I can't think of any accused individual who survived accusations since the Harvey Weinstein outbreak. And Mr. Paikin survived only because his accuser is considered a flake.  While it may be true that the presumption of innocence is is foundational in the court system, it's not necessarily the case in the real world. However, we are now operating in a world where in the presumption of guilt is the standard. That's just not good.

April 6, 2018 3:36 pm  #35

I just read that Paul Bliss is suing CTV along with the woman who made the accusation.

Interesting that I got this from NT1010 breaking news e-mail.

April 6, 2018 3:56 pm  #36

Peter the K wrote:

I just read that Paul Bliss is suing CTV along with the woman who made the accusation.

Interesting that I got this from NT1010 breaking news e-mail.

Another perfect example of abuse of the "breaking news" label.  Much like the endless "food recalls" that are sent out everyday, the public tunes out of these flagrant misuses. 

April 6, 2018 4:37 pm  #37

$7.5 Million

April 6, 2018 5:53 pm  #38

This will be settled out of court. He may get some money out of it, but his reputation is ruined. The truth - whatever it is - doesn't matter.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 7, 2018 8:01 am  #39

April 7, 2018 11:37 am  #40

I hope he gets EVERY penny. He's 100% and totally innocent 'til it's proven otherwise. Ruin a guy's career?  'Cause maybe?  If it's B.S...if Bell jumped the gun...7.5 mil is letting them off lightly.  I hope that you're entirely innocent Paul. I have absolutely no reason to believe otherwise. Go get 'em!!!

April 10, 2018 11:36 am  #41

Paul Bliss is indeed fighting back.  Suing for 7.5 million dollars in damages.  Here's the whole story.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4128502/paul-bliss-suing-ctv-sexual-misconduct/

Last edited by AMFM (April 10, 2018 11:37 am)

June 4, 2018 9:43 am  #42

CTV has finally decided who's going to replace Bliss as its full time Queen's Park Bureau chief. It's Colin D'Mello, who's basically been covering the beat for the last few months anyway. It means he'll have to give up his weekend anchor duties but he certainly inherits the gig at a very interesting time.

April 2, 2019 5:51 pm  #43

Remember this sordid tale from January of last year? New court documents have resurrected it and put it back on the front burner.

They allege that former CTV Queen's Park Bureau Chief Paul Bliss was fired for having a history of sexual misconduct, including at his workplace, for over 10 years. Bliss has a multi-million dollar lawsuit against CTV owner Bell, denies the allegations and says he was defamed by the company. 

His termination notice from the network was part of the papers filed and the allegations contained in it are eye-opening.

"...you admitted to consuming alcohol and repeatedly engaging in sexual activities, including intercourse, as recently as within the last year, after hours in the workplace," the letter states. "You also admitted to entering into romantic relationships with young women with whom you could exert some influence to assist them in their careers."

You can read the rest at the link below, which ironically takes you to a Global news page - although the story is on the CTV site, both featuring the same Canadian Press piece.

Ex-CTV reporter Paul Bliss was fired for repeated sexual misconduct allegations, broadcaster says

April 3, 2019 7:44 pm  #44

Bentwater wrote:

Whew.  As I scrolled through comments cGrant repeatedly appeared.  Fortunately, I missed looking at the posting date. 
Man, it's way more peaceful in here.

I had the same reaction and agree with your observation about our current "climate".