sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2018 1:40 pm  #1

Rogers & Bell Hitting Customers With Huge Internet Fee Hikes

On your mark, get set, gouge! The country's two biggest Internet providers are at it again and you will quite literally pay the price if you use them. 

Rogers has confirmed it's hiking its Internet prices by a whopping $8 a month or four bucks if you have their cheapest (and no-longer-so-cheap) package. The pain will start next week, with the fees skyrocketing on March 12th. 

Bell will keep you waiting until April 1st - maybe not so coincidentally April Fool's Day - to lift more out of your wallet. Subscribers there will fork over an extra five bucks a month, plus an additional $4 a gigabyte if you go over your data limit. All this comes as Canada continues to have some of the highest web access fees in the world. 

The telcos claim "service upgrades for the future" are responsible for the hikes, but I'm guessing most consumers won't buy the excuse. The real question remains if they'll continue to buy from Rogers and Bell. It's not yet clear whether independent competitors like TekSavvy - which piggybacks on the lines set up by both companies - will also have to raise their prices as a result.

From the CBC:

Telecommunications consultant Lawrence Surtees says telcos do have added costs when they expand their networks. However, he's not certain that explains why internet prices have continued to creep up over the past couple of years. 

"They budget that, they figure out how much it's going to cost, then they do an increase. I'm not quite sure why they need to do second or third increases," said Surtees, with market intelligence firm IDC Canada. 

"I'm a bit skeptical."

Only a bit? 

Rogers & Bell set to hit Canadians with internet price hikes

March 9, 2018 2:01 pm  #2

Re: Rogers & Bell Hitting Customers With Huge Internet Fee Hikes

I don't understand why people still use them when they can go with a 3rd party service provider (Teksavvy is my personal favourite but there are lots out there) and not have to pay through the nose for Internet.

I have friends who are technically adept enough to know better, yet they still go with the likes of Bell, pay their ridiculous fees, and then complain about the high overages they pay because of the limited bandwidth they get.

I know the third party providers use the incumbents (Bell and Rogers) as their last mile to the house but that doesn't mean you might as well go with Bell/Rogers.  I can also understand that the likes of Bell/Rogers are selling a complete turnkey system -- just plug it in and go -- let them worry about the tech stuff.  That should be considered a premium service for which you'll be paying a premium price.

So basically, if you complain about what you pay for Internet, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

March 9, 2018 2:02 pm  #3

Update: I just spoke with a rep at TekSavvy, which is my provider.

He didn't know if the Bell/Rogers move meant their company would also be facing a future hike. But for now, they say they have no plans to raise their prices. I'm told they give customers a 2-month warning if they're going to do so. 

March 9, 2018 2:18 pm  #4

TekSavvy rates shouldn't increase at all.

Rogers and Bell are increasing their retail rates to consumers.  However, the wholesale rates they charge 3rd party ISPs are controlled by the CRTC.  In order to change those rates, they actually have to apply for and justify a new set of rates for 3rd party service providers.

They are currently working on rates for access to megabit speeds and fibre to the home.  Rogers, especially, is dragging their heels anyway they can about this. Expect it to take years to hash out.

March 9, 2018 2:21 pm  #5

Peter the K wrote:

I don't understand why people still use them when they can go with a 3rd party service provider (Teksavvy is my personal favourite but there are lots out there) and not have to pay through the nose for Internet.
So basically, if you complain about what you pay for Internet, you have nobody but yourself to blame.

A few extra observations on this, more related to this board. You would think this would be a fairly significant story. Imagine if, say, Air Canada suddenly decided to tack on an extra $50 for each piece of luggage you use. It would be a lead story. But as of this posting, I have yet to hear a word about this on any of the Bell or Rogers stations I've been monitoring. I first saw it on CBC's noon news, but nowhere else.

Bell's CTV's noon news led with March Break, which in itself was a pretty strange lead, given the ongoing developments in the PC leadership race and new revelations in the serial killer case. Nothing on 'RB, either. And there was radio silence on the newscast I listened to on Rogers' 680 News, including on their business report.

Only Bell-owned BNN had a very short article on the move and the Canadian Press version of the story was finally added to the CTV News website. Otherwise, it was the Star, the CBC and Canoe that featured the tale. 

So I guess Corus' 640 talker may well end up having this story all to itself. I hope they take advantage of not being a telco or having self-interest in this thing and run with it. 

Things could change as the day heats up, but considering the size of the hikes and how many people are affected by them, you'd think this would be a pretty important yarn, regardless of station ownership. I'll be interested to see what the afternoon drive brings.

March 9, 2018 2:52 pm  #6

I don't think this hike applies to Rogers customers who are bundled...??? 
(or took a contracted deal of some sort prior to this increase)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 9, 2018 3:54 pm  #7

New customers of Virgin Internet (the modem's name is Steve) can now get 3 months free with select packages. Even with any possible increase, the 3 free months helps make up for the increase in the short run.
The long run might also suggest lower prices than sister company Bell or competitors Rogers/Fido.

Peter the K wrote:

I don't understand why people still use them when they can go with a 3rd party service provider (Teksavvy is my personal favourite but there are lots out there) 

I'm not sure what rates are like for Teksavy vs Virgin though...
(or for people who are currently bundled with Rogers...hopefully not hit with a rate increase)

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 9, 2018 3:58 pm)

March 10, 2018 2:23 pm  #8

Teksavvy cable internet (using Shaw's cable) currently is 39 bucks a month here in Vancouver. 
For that, I get 30mbps down, 5mbps up and 300gb per month.
You also get unlimited free downloads overnight during a four or five hour window.
I added home phone for another 10 bucks a month, ditching Telus which was charging 34 bucks a month for a home phone line.
I've been a Teksavvy customer for over five years, since they first offered service in BC.
They have real techs to help you with any problem and really go the extra mile for their customers when problems arise which almost have been non-existent.
Any problems when I had DSL were with Telus which is why I recently dumped the DSL in favour of cable.

March 10, 2018 3:35 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

On your mark, get set, gouge! The country's two biggest Internet providers are at it again     

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at these S.O.B's

Any chance Verizon would reconsider their decision on entering the Canadian market??

Need them now more than ever

March 10, 2018 4:33 pm  #10

unclefester wrote:

Any chance Verizon would reconsider their decision on entering the Canadian market??

A good read from 2016: http://peternowak.ca/verizon-canada-yahoo/

March 10, 2018 4:59 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

unclefester wrote:

A good read from 2016: http://peternowak.ca/verizon-canada-yahoo/

Thanks for that wiz...

One small step

What I really want is for Verizon to take on these two cork soakers and eat their m f'n lunch

March 11, 2018 8:10 am  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I first saw it on CBC's noon news, but nowhere else.

Bell's CTV's noon news led with March Break, which in itself was a pretty strange lead, given the ongoing developments in the PC leadership race and new revelations in the serial killer case. Nothing on 'RB, either. And there was radio silence on the newscast I listened to on Rogers' 680 News, including on their business report.

RA, to be fair to CTV, I do recall hearing about the rise in rates very briefly on their 6pm newscast. That's where I got my info that my rate would soon be going up. It was mentioned so quickly that if I doubt I'd have heard about it if I hadn't been focused on the newscast at that moment (otherwise, it's usually more background noise as I'm prepping my dinner in the kitchen during that hour).

March 11, 2018 8:31 am  #13

TomTV wrote:

RA, to be fair to CTV, I do recall hearing about the rise in rates very briefly on their 6pm newscast. That's where I got my info that my rate would soon be going up. It was mentioned so quickly that if I doubt I'd have heard about it if I hadn't been focused on the newscast at that moment (otherwise, it's usually more background noise as I'm prepping my dinner in the kitchen during that hour).

And to be equally fair, it should be pointed out that I noted that it was "as of this post." That was at 1:20 PM, so obviously that was long before the 6 o'clock news. The fact it turned up later (although briefly, as you noted) doesn't completely excuse the fact that they all had it in time for the noon news and never reported it at all.

I also listened extensively to 680 News for an extended period of time after the news broke and there wasn't any mention of it - not even on their business report.

Yes, I'm an old cynic, but I find it hard to believe that was a coincidence. 

March 14, 2018 5:07 pm  #14

Oh I don't disagree, and I wasn't admonishing you for pointing out the noon news was missing the price hike, just that at least they did it eventually to whatever minimal amount of airtime they felt they could get away with.  I recall Global News also offering a quick mention of the hikes that evening too.

March 14, 2018 7:25 pm  #15

While I may or may not be getting an $8 increase, I did manage to switch from 200g internet to unlimited internet at "no extra charge". (That was normally offered for $10 extra) 
Therefore, if I am being charged a new rate of $8 more, at least now I'm still saving $2.
I'm a happy camper and I still love Rogers very much!! 
Rogers is the best!! 

March 21, 2018 11:03 am  #16

Shocking!!!  Who'da thought that these 2 media icons would suddenly become so money hungry and cold-hearted.  Imagine my surprise just coming out of my stint in solitary confinement to discover that these consumer friendly lexicons had 'changed'.  What next?