sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2018 2:29 am  #1

Making it easy to compare results from different PPM rating periods

At kowchmedia we've made it easier to see if a radio station is up or down in the Winter 2018 PPM ratings from last Winter's PPM ratings or Fall 2017 PPM ratings. We're using the same criteria of how broadcasters and Program Directors earn PPM rating bonuses. Broadcasters get their rating bonuses based on Fall to Fall, Winter to Winter and Spring to Spring ratings. So we're providing Winter '18 and '17 rating results so you can compare who is up, down or flat.

David Bray adds Fall 2017 PPM ratings to give you more perspective on the ups and downs of radio ratings from this Winter to last Fall's rating period.

Click here to see the Toronto numbers.

Click here to see results in the Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver PPM markets.

March 10, 2018 8:41 am  #2

Re: Making it easy to compare results from different PPM rating periods

Who gets a bonus from 12+ numbers?

March 10, 2018 9:29 am  #3

Re: Making it easy to compare results from different PPM rating periods

12+ is in many contracts as a morale booster .... x number of dollars per each share point over a set target. It isn't a lot of money but something to shoot for. The bigger rating bonuses are reserved for hitting 25-54 and 18-34 demos. Sometimes the bonus structure pays for both female and male listeners - or just one of them that targets a certain demo like males for Rock and femails for EZ listening.

While you can't take a rating bonus to the bank as potential revenue to secure a loan, management uses them to entice talent to the radio station when they can't afford to pay them big bucks.  Bonuses are usually limited to Fall and Spring rating periods. Summer and winter books are too prone to lost listeners because of vacations and Christmas. Snow Birds who migrate down south for months also impact oldies and talk stations. 

As I write this I'm thinking rating bonuses might make a great On The Kowch blog ....

Thanks Boom Boy for your question that sparked this response.

So if you have a ratings story ... post it here or email me at skowch@gmail.com ... Names and radio stations confidential ... but I would want to use the format.  Program Directors, General Managers and Owners are encouraged to participate.to answer questions like:

Did you EVER get a ratings bonus?
How much?
How often?
For what demo?
Which demos were your bonus target?
What was your biggest ratings bonus cheque?
What did you do with the money?
Does (did) your PD ever show you the actual ratings for your show? Or NEVER?
If you asked, did they show you or not?
Why should PDs share ratings with individual on air staff?
Did a ratngs bonus seal the deal for a new job?
If not, was that reason to not switch jobs,
Did a rating bonus try to make up for a smaller salary offer? Did it work?

If you are a PD, GM or owner ,,... do you show the ratings to on air staff?
If yes, why?
If no, why?
Do you offer a ratings bonus when recruiting on air staff?
Is it a way to offer more money when the budget can't afford to pay higher salaries?

All comments welcome ... Or copy and paste the question and your answers .... I could use it as a polI. I think it would make a great blog and great posts. Again, my email is skowch@gmail.com

Thanks!

Last edited by kowchmedia (March 10, 2018 9:32 am)