sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2018 5:55 pm  #31

Re: CBC Marketplace Tonight - 8 P.M.

cGrant,
Happily, yours will not be the prevailing position. No doubt, you refuse to watch CBC News Network or any CBC program as a means of registering your disgust. Hopefully, someone will notice.

Meanwhile, those of us who value a more Canadian perspective, in addition to that offered by the private networks with their insistent re-hashing of American programming, will continue to learn more about THIS country with all its wonderful foibles. Sadly, for others, the Sun News Network is gone but its odious nature remains in our collective memories. Somehow, we're surviving.

March 4, 2018 6:10 pm  #32

Dial Twister wrote:

those of us who value a more Canadian perspective, in addition to that offered by the private networks with their insistent re-hashing of American programming, will continue to learn more about THIS country with all its wonderful foibles. .....Somehow, we're surviving.

So, you need to be spoon-fed whatever the Mother Corp decides to inseminate to you?  In your world, it's either the CBC or Sun? That says a lot.  If your education encapsulates a tv network educating you, then I question what you call education. Do you blindly accept what the CBC says? Is there no other viewpoint worthy of your time?

I say again, if the CBC is such a valuable entity, let it stand alone, privately fundedTHEN we'll find out if mine is the prevailing opinion or not.  Just because it's Pravda-like anointment is bestowed on you, doesn't make it so.

March 4, 2018 6:30 pm  #33

what are cGrant's primary news sources?

how does cGrant access these sources?

Last edited by g121 (March 4, 2018 7:42 pm)

March 11, 2018 8:02 am  #34

@CGrant: I don't think you understood my point. I understand your desire not to pay for something you have no wish to watch and has no use whatsoever to you personally. There are plenty of things that my tax dollars pay for, that have no use for me at all (anything related to childcare or parenting, for example since I don't have any kids). Doesn't meant that it doesn't provide a useful benefit to society - otherwise, I'd like my share of my tax dollars back for any government service that doesn't benefit me in any way, and there are plenty.

My argument to you is that unless you truly want to live in a world where all the major news is only provided via a corporate source (because as you noted, a news organization funded by the dollars of individuals isn't going to even remotely rival a big corp's budget and scale), a public broadcaster in any country is a boon to that society by providing an alternate voice (or at least competing agenda) to the corporate voice. 

Comparing it to the milk delivery man or horse and buggy is a terrible strawman argument, if you don't want to pay for the CBC, then you may as well start protesting the government now to also stop funding any other service that you don't personally use - we can then all go back to driving on unlit roads at night, using Patreon to fund pothole repairs, or hire our own snowplows to clear our personal routes to work/home after a snowfall.

Last edited by TomTV (March 11, 2018 8:02 am)

March 11, 2018 10:55 pm  #35

[b wrote:

cGrant[/b]]Your precious CBC is morbidly behind the arc on their digital platforms.

How so?
CBC's content is available on Netflix, and live for free on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, their website, and on four different CBC apps.  They also podcast every major radio show and archive nearly every TV show.  

I can't watch CTV or Global live online for free (legally).

Last edited by Prod Guy (March 11, 2018 10:57 pm)

March 12, 2018 12:56 am  #36

g121 wrote:

Sun Mar 4 5:30 pm
what are cGrant's primary news sources?

how does cGrant access these sources?

A week has past & nothing but **crickets** ..

I was actually interested in what his responses were .. maybe we'd be genuinely enlightened .. but he appears to be nothing but bluster.