sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2018 4:23 pm  #1

Equipment question

Hi everyone.

My apologies in advance if this isn’t the right place to pose this question.
A former resident of Stouffville is interested in starting up a new show on WhiStle-FM, our town’s volunteer radio station.
He would be doing his show off site and is looking for recommendations on equipment for in person interviews and for telephone interviews.
I am as ignorant as can be on modern equipment for tasks such as these and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Thanks!

March 1, 2018 5:31 pm  #2

Re: Equipment question

Pretty simple request.
A good microphone for interviews, hand held, the good old EV 630A, a non budget breaker.  Any decent solid state recorder, from your smart phone with a recording app and an appropriate dongle to connect a pro mic and a good pair of earbuds to monitor should be sufficient.
For phone interviews, using a smartphone into a recording device, there are any number of inexpensive alternatives that you can search on the web.   This will give you a small portable rig to record and then transfer your clips to the station by email.

March 1, 2018 6:41 pm  #3

Many thanks, Mike.  I’ll pass this along...

March 2, 2018 1:05 am  #4

Also worth considering, a small basic laptop capable of running Audacity, free software and a USB mic.  You can record, edit then email your interviews very simply.  This basically is my rig when I'm on the road, except I use a much higher quality mic and a CEntrance Mic Port Pro which converts the mic audio to travel to the computer by a USB cable.  This has been standard procedure for CNN radio and the BBC for quite a few years.

March 2, 2018 12:59 pm  #5

Solid suggestions.  Thanks again!