sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2018 8:54 am  #1

More changes at AM640?

Yesterday Stafford alluded to it being his last time working with Patrick.  Any ideas on what the change is this time?

February 16, 2018 10:03 am  #2

Re: More changes at AM640?

Heard Sherman(sp?) yesterday saying he was going to be filling in for Mike a couple of days next week at his.. meaning Stafford's request

February 17, 2018 7:40 pm  #3

Toronto Mike seems to be indicating Stafford will be taking over the Morning Drive.

https://twitter.com/torontomike/status/964208904778362880

February 17, 2018 9:18 pm  #4

I don't think too many here will argue that Stafford has earned the morning show gig - and the hopeful pay boost that comes with it.

The only thing I worry about if he takes this on will be the formatics of mornings. It's a rushed get-it-all-in-and do-it-all-quickly kind of format that makes it harder to do the sightly more relaxed show he does at 9 AM. Plus he'll likely have to add interviews to the mix which he's often said is not really his thing, although he does them well. And who knows, they might even force a panel on him! 

His current show's pace is exactly the reason most of us like it so much. I'd hate to see it lost to the hustle and bustle of the morning rush. Other than that, I think it's the exact right move, especially since the current incarnation of the 640 morning shift is not working at all. 

=================

By the way, ever wonder what Patrick Malkin looks like? Here he is below taking Humber College students on a tour of Corus studios in 2014 (Pic by Paul Cross)

February 17, 2018 9:44 pm  #5

All current creative assets will be liquidated if this nonsense becomes public. God help us all.

February 17, 2018 9:50 pm  #6

Followup. I don't savour the flavour of Stafford effluvium. Sorry for not being a team player on this forum, but he's not that great.

February 21, 2018 5:32 pm  #7

February 21, 2018 5:51 pm  #8

torontomike wrote:

Here are the details of the changes at GNR 640.

That's genuinely too bad. As much critical grief as I give that station, I rather enjoy Stafford (minus this teeny-bopper Bored Ops) in that slot. Sadly, his supreme sense of style and programming will be wasted by the AM drive clock. What was a potential ratings threat to 1010 is now reverted to streetcar-noise background static. RIP 640.

Last edited by cGrant (February 21, 2018 5:52 pm)

February 21, 2018 7:10 pm  #9

Is this for real?  The result is NOT better.  Put Ryan and Patrick back with Stafford. Leave Matt where he is but get him a humorous cohost that doesn’t speak like a robot.  Get Lorne H back in there somewhere. He was great.  It really isn’t complicated. I guess the Corus bosses don’t listen to the morning show.

February 21, 2018 9:44 pm  #10

Oh, so that's why Stafford did a few shifts with Spaghetti around end of December. Corus wanted to see if there is any chemistry. See if the kids at Casa Stafford will keep quiet after 8 pm so the legend can have his sleep

February 21, 2018 10:35 pm  #11

NikS wrote:

that's why Stafford did a few shifts with Spaghetti around end of December. Corus wanted to see if there is any chemistry.

Well, if it was a "chemistry test", clearly someone failed. Something smells worse than that fat lady at walmart who has toenail clippings all over her magnificent moustache and has a distinct odor that's a cross between cottage cheese that's been left betwixt a Bulgarian wrestler's thighs and scented naval lint.

February 21, 2018 11:44 pm  #12

Charlie wrote:

So, the weak link of the morning show stays put, and Stafford is thrown in to right the ship?  He's the best host in Toronto, but he'd better have a strong back.  Some fix.

You took the words right out of my fingers.  The whole morning debacle should have been gassed.

Hope they're paying Stafford well for the move.  One can hope he'll either wind up solo or get back to a more civilized timeslot.

Gonna miss you Mike.

February 22, 2018 10:15 am  #13

Talk about history repeating itself.

Just a few years after John Oakley left mornings at what was then called AM 640 for afternoons, the brains at Corus are at it again – starting a semi-new morning show without a word to its audience.

I simply can’t understand how they can move an important talent like Mike Stafford to morning drive and treat it like it’s a state secret. There hasn’t been anything about this on air and any listeners who tune in Monday morning are in for a surprise.

They did the exact same thing when Matt and Supriya took over for Oakley, refusing to mention a single word about the change until the Friday before it happened. And now it's taking place again next week in the most important daypart for any station and – nothing. Nada. No hype, no big announcements, no publicity. C-SIS should hire them as spies – if captured, they won’t tell anyone anything. It may be the most bizarre thing I can remember seeing from a station in the major market in this country.

And it makes absolutely no sense.

No other company would do this. When Wally Crouter retired from CFRB, they played it to the hilt for months, including letting you know who would take his place. Don Daynard’s “Last Breakfast” aired live and they made a big deal about it. When CHUM lured Jay Nelson out of Buffalo to become its new morning host, the hype made headlines. CFTR took out billboards, made promotional coffee cups and spread the word that (John) "Landecker Has Landed" when he came to 680 mornings. And when Erin Davis returned to CHFI, the station’s PR Dept. made sure you heard about it.

But when GNR640 makes a significant morning show change – it’s radio silence for a second time.  

I wish Stafford luck on his new gig. I just hope he hasn’t told anyone in Port Credit about it. Apparently, no one is supposed to know.

Assuming that this report is true, can anyone here explain this bizarre strategy?

February 22, 2018 10:49 am  #14

RA: it's simple, really. It prevents the usual fawning over the departing host by not having the sickophants from waxing about how it'll be the end of times .

Also, it prevents a potential audience from formulating an opinion of the new show before they even heard it.

This is a catch-22 for me. I don't have the time to listen to morning drive. At best, I hit 680 for their non-fake "chopper" traffic updates. Tuning in at 9am was the perfect oasis for listening to Mike. Now, it's a full skip and I might return at 2 for Kelly. (sorry, I can't stand Arlene Bynon with her over-the-top FM-esque sex voice). I skip Oakley because... Well, because he is very tedious with schtick from decades ago.

And Mike has stated countless of times that he's happy in his current slot. He even indicated that he's "too old" for AM drive. I expect him to use that snarky fact during his new morning show. Frankly, I don't see it lasting a full year, sorry.

February 23, 2018 12:10 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

When Wally Crouter retired from CFRB, they played it to the hilt for months, including letting you know who would take his place. Don Daynard’s “Last Breakfast” aired live and they made a big deal about it. When CHUM lured Jay Nelson out of Buffalo to become its new morning host, the hype made headlines. CFTR took out billboards, made promotional coffee cups and spread the word that (John) "Landecker Has Landed" when he came to 680 mornings. And when Erin Davis returned to CHFI, the station’s PR Dept. made sure you heard about it.

Every single one of these examples is outdated because they happened before the shattering of the media landscape, ie when radio was one of very few options. So please can we stop with the "back in the day" comparisons? Times have CHANGED, accept that or die.

That being said, I agree with your underlying point (and it may be a recent phenomenon); but radio these days does a tremendously shitty job of promoting its talent. I see commercials for radio stations all the time and what do they promote? The MUSIC. Are you kidding? I can hear that song anywhere and at anytime; even RIGHT NOW if I desired. Sell me on what you have that is UNIQUE; then maybe I'll listen. Radio needs to get back to promoting its personalities instead of its "format".

February 23, 2018 1:54 am  #16

BoredOp wrote:

Every single one of these examples is outdated ..... So please can we stop with the "back in the day" comparisons? Times have CHANGED, accept that or die.

Radio needs to get back to promoting its personalities instead of its "format".

Irony defined right there.

Beyond that, people do NOT tune in for the personality; they tune in for the format. I listen to Boom. I couldn't care less if the ressurected demonic hybrid souls of Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler hosted the show, I'm there for the music. Period.

February 23, 2018 2:08 am  #17

cGrant wrote:

BoredOp wrote:

Every single one of these examples is outdated ..... So please can we stop with the "back in the day" comparisons? Times have CHANGED, accept that or die.

Radio needs to get back to promoting its personalities instead of its "format".

Irony defined right there.

Beyond that, people do NOT tune in for the personality; they tune in for the format. I listen to Boom. I couldn't care less if the ressurected demonic hybrid souls of Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler hosted the show, I'm there for the music. Period.

Sorry, but if we're talking "Mornings with Manson and The Fuhrer" I'm totally tuning in every day, even if the format is heavy metal polka.

February 23, 2018 3:36 am  #18

BoredOp wrote:

I see commercials for radio stations all the time and what do they promote? The MUSIC. Are you kidding? I can hear that song anywhere and at anytime; even RIGHT NOW if I desired. Sell me on what you have that is UNIQUE; then maybe I'll listen. Radio needs to get back to promoting its personalities instead of its "format".

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 23, 2018 10:10 am  #19

Zero chemistry with current morning show - both of them have a 'tuff' time talking casually - MG puts this annoying emPHASis on the syLLABLES that gets tiresome.  Spaghetti just doesn't have 'it'.  

Staffy has IT, HP is the best as the on-the-spot youngin' reporter that can explain that 19-35 cultural mystery demo (despite me having 2 of them at home)

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

February 23, 2018 10:27 am  #20

Radiowiz wrote:

BoredOp wrote:

I see commercials for radio stations all the time and what do they promote? The MUSIC. Are you kidding? I can hear that song anywhere and at anytime; even RIGHT NOW if I desired. Sell me on what you have that is UNIQUE; then maybe I'll listen. Radio needs to get back to promoting its personalities instead of its "format".

Amazing. I guess I'm not watching enough Rogers television. Thanks!

And it's okay to listen to a station for the music, but radio in general could do a much better job at promoting its own, like 92.5 highlights in the example above.

February 23, 2018 11:21 am  #21

You don't be buttin' the Green Goblin
~ M. Stafford

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

February 23, 2018 1:04 pm  #22

Anyone else hear Stafford's emotional time slot farewell? He paid a heartfelt tribute to his producers and board ops both past and present, and related how in his long almost 40 years working different shifts at different stations, he was never offered a full time morning host gig.

Until now.

It was quite an interesting not-to-be-missed nine minutes or so - so much that I turned off one of only two appointment shows I listen to every week ("Touhdowns and Fumbles") on 'RB to hear this. 

Stafford is a very talented man. I wish him a lot of luck in his new spot.  

February 23, 2018 2:00 pm  #23

This one's for Stafford if he checks in here. And it's incredibly stupid:

Ted Cruz Calls Democrats 'The Party of Lisa Simpson' For Some Reason  

February 23, 2018 2:25 pm  #24

Here is the official press release:

GLOBAL NEWS RADIO 640 TORONTO LAUNCHES NEW MORNING DRIVE, MID-MORNING TALK SHOWS

http://www.corusent.com/news/global-news-radio-640-toronto-launches-new-morning-drive-mid-morning-talk-shows/

Last edited by andysradio (February 23, 2018 2:25 pm)

February 23, 2018 4:37 pm  #25

Stafford reminds me somewhat of the late Larry Lujack, the caustic former Chicago jock (WLS, WCFL, etc.) whose shows were a mix of talk (all him) and music. He's not nearly as grumpy as Lujack was, but both are entertaining.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 23, 2018 5:26 pm  #26

Who wants to start a pool for how long either show will last? Let's give odds for how long it will take for Stafford going solo in AM drive. I've said it before, he's better with a looser clock. The drive clock is far too restrictive for his talents. Pity.

February 23, 2018 5:48 pm  #27

I'm really surprised he's never been offered the morning show gig until now.  He's too good not to at least have been asked.

If Stafford really wants the morning gig, then more power to him.  He's certainly strong enough to carry it on his own but enough of a professional to make it work with whomever he's saddled with.  

Having said that, I'd give it six months before he's flying solo.    Likewise, I'd (hopefully) expect the morning show to conform to his style rather than the other way around.

I guess I'll have to change my routine to start listening earlier in the day. 

February 23, 2018 6:01 pm  #28

As I expressed earlier in this thread, I agree with cGrant when it comes to the restrictive nature of the morning drive. There isn't much time for fun or frivolity, because you're constantly pressured to move onto the next programming element, be it traffic, news, an interview, a sports update or whatever it is - not to mention the increased spot load.

I will definitely miss the 30 or 60 mins. devoted to topics like "what was the thing your mom threw out that would be worth a fortune today?" or the "greatest driving songs of all time" kind of feature-y stuff he did so well. I doubt there'd be a lot of time to devote to that in the early AM. But it sure was fun while it lasted! 

(I'm still waiting for someone to do the "what's the worst thing you've ever done?" topic. A now deceased colleague of mine and I once debated doing this, and he told me off air that when he was a kid, he was playing with matches and he accidentally burned down his parent's garage. Quite the admission and if you let the callers stay anonymous, it could work as a subject!) 

That said, after nearly four decades, Stafford has certainly earned the shot at the big time in the country's largest market.

February 23, 2018 6:19 pm  #29

I actually hope Stafford brings in respectable numbers for the morning. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 23, 2018 6:25 pm  #30

RadioActive wrote:

Stafford has certainly earned the shot at the big time in the country's largest market.

Well... At the end of the day, let's remember it's 640 afterall. Their ratings are generally close to a flatline and there should be a "do not resuscitate" order on that patient.

Having him on AM drive in the country's largest market is akin to being the smartest kid sitting at the <insert derogatory mental illness here> table. 🤪🤯😴