sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2016 2:00 am  #1

Toronto Vs. Buffalo & The Bigoted Shame Of Channel 2

I love TV history, but I have to admit I've never heard this story before. It was apparently quite a big deal at the time and involves a group of Toronto students who went down to Buffalo's WGR in 1959 to appear on Pat Fagan's locally produced "Dance Party." What happened when a male black student was seen dancing with one of his white female classmates is an amazing tale that made headlines back home - but was all but ignored in the Queen City. 

Here's the story of a shameful but long forgotten part of Toronto, Buffalo and local Western New York TV history. Thank God times have changed. But this tale gives a disturbing new meaning to the term "black and white television."

U.S. TV Bans Toronto Boy Who Danced With White Girl

February 17, 2018 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Vs. Buffalo & The Bigoted Shame Of Channel 2

RadioActive wrote:

Thank God times have changed. 

Toronto in the 70's (15-20 years later) not only allowed a black person to dance with a white person, but they even allowed two guys to dance! Ah, but this wasn't WGR...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 18, 2018 4:56 pm  #3

Even closer to our hearts is the late 1950s story of an inspiring young Black announcer in Edmonton who sent out audition tapes, and got a call from a station about 40 miles away.  He drove there for the interview, but was not allowed past Reception when the interviewer, likely the PD, saw him face-to-face, so to speak.  My assumption is that they were worried about him being on Remotes, which the station, to this day, is still famous for.

I first met his about 5 years ago when he introduced himself while two of us from the Edmonton Broadcasters Club were having a coffee break and passionately talking about Broadcasting.  He has since joined the Club.

As for his career, that experience made him take a serious look at Reality, and he became an independent Electrician.  But he always had to be prepared to have a White employee available when he would occasionally arrive on a new Job Site and be "rejected".  He is in his late 70s now, still owns the business, but probably has not done any Electrical work in quite a few years.

February 14, 2021 4:57 pm  #4

This story was first posted here in 2016. Almost exactly five years to the day, The Star has resurrected it with a few updates. It's still pretty powerful - and pretty horrible, 

More than 60 years ago a Black teen from Malvern C.I. was told to stop dancing with a white girl on a Buffalo TV show. Toronto exploded

February 14, 2021 6:08 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

This story was first posted here in 2016. Almost exactly five years to the day, The Star has resurrected it with a few updates. It's still pretty powerful - and pretty horrible, 

More than 60 years ago a Black teen from Malvern C.I. was told to stop dancing with a white girl on a Buffalo TV show. Toronto exploded

I can’t help but wonder if a similar situation to what happened in Buffalo would have happened in another part of Canada outside Toronto in those days. Even in my childhood split between London and rural Eastern Ontario 25-30 years ago, there was a huge difference in attitude towards visible minorities or LGBT individuals compared to Toronto. It was barely over 10 years ago that someone threw a banana at Wayne Simmonds when he played a preseason NHL game in London, and in 1997 we re-elected an openly homophobic mayor at a time Toronto was far more LGBT-friendly (though not as much as today).

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 14, 2021 6:10 pm)

February 14, 2021 6:18 pm  #6

Swingin Time and before that Top Ten Dance Party both on CKLW TV in Windsor had this all figured out in the late 50's into the late 60's.  Way before it was common these shows had black and white kids dancing together on the dance floor with a lot of the participants coming over from Detroit.  And the shows also featured Detroit artists all the time in studio with interviews and performances.  CKLW radio got most of the credit, but CKLW TV also  had it's important part in breaking Detroit's music to other parts of the country, and introducing black artists to a mostly white audience.  More from Motor City Radio Flashbacks... 
https://www.mcrfb.com/?p=1676