sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2018 11:59 am  #1

WHAT??? People still want CDs??

Best Buy is saying good bye to the CD section of the store.
To quote the subject line of the article People are "Freaking out"

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/best-buy-pulling-cds-from-stores-reaction-2018-2

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 14, 2018 12:10 pm  #2

Re: WHAT??? People still want CDs??

I never thought there would be a day (at least from the vantage point of my 1990 self) that a shop would allocate space for LPs, but NOT CDs.  Unbelievable.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 16, 2018 2:00 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

I never thought there would be a day (at least from the vantage point of my 1990 self) that a shop would allocate space for LPs, but NOT CDs.  Unbelievable.

I know.  Strange times we live in, huh?  The other half of this strange situation is you can go to any number of stores and there are junky suitcase record players with crappy ceramic cartridges made for wearing your records out for sale in the year 2018.

Ok, I don't know if the cartridges in these new ones are as bad for destroying records as the ones of old but the old ones at least came with a decent sized speaker in the lid that certainly weren't high fidelity by any stretch but they would at least make some volume and bass.  The new ones have these itty bitty speakers that would be more suited to a clock radio.  But they have USB ports!  They've gotta be flying off the shelves to 20 year-olds that have no idea what a good turntable is.

February 16, 2018 2:23 pm  #4

Plate Voltage wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I know.  Strange times we live in, huh?  The other half of this strange situation is you can go to any number of stores and there are junky suitcase record players with crappy ceramic cartridges made for wearing your records out for sale in the year 2018.

Ok, I don't know if the cartridges in these new ones are as bad for destroying records as the ones of old but the old ones at least came with a decent sized speaker in the lid that certainly weren't high fidelity by any stretch but they would at least make some volume and bass.  The new ones have these itty bitty speakers that would be more suited to a clock radio.  But they have USB ports!  They've gotta be flying off the shelves to 20 year-olds that have no idea what a good turntable is.

I know its pretty sad to see this crappy record players. 

Ive since restored a Dual 1249 in perfect working order and let me tell you, vinyl sounds much better than a CD let alone, the posters, lyric books etc is an experience on its own.  Something you dont get on Spotify or a CD.

February 16, 2018 6:42 pm  #5

Plate Voltage wrote:

They've gotta be flying off the shelves to 20 year-olds that have no idea what a good turntable is.

Because of the USB, who cares about the quality of the turntable if one just wants to convert records to MP3 (or whatever)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 17, 2018 11:47 am  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

I never thought there would be a day (at least from the vantage point of my 1990 self) that a shop would allocate space for LPs, but NOT CDs 

I had your post in mind while at the CIAS yesterday.   GM vehicles have all evidently dropped CD players while some Fords still have them.  For example 2019 Transit Connect station wagon, has a single disc CD player as std equipment.      Ford more years. 

February 17, 2018 12:04 pm  #7

What horsepuckey. Guess I won't be buying a new GM car.  OOOOhhhhh! Look at me! 18-speaker premium sound system in my car and I'm blasting out shitty tin-sounding MP3s!

February 17, 2018 2:01 pm  #8

I just bought a CD off Ebay from the group "Rockapella", which includes the Carmen Sandiego theme song. first time in over a decade I think I've bought a CD

February 17, 2018 2:47 pm  #9

RadioPaulPA wrote:

I just bought a CD off Ebay from the group "Rockapella", which includes the Carmen Sandiego theme song 

A CD player is useful for favorite travelling music in CD format collected in the 80s + 90s, although not everyone is into content like Paul.     Their loss.

February 17, 2018 2:50 pm  #10

Jonny wrote:

RadioPaulPA wrote:

I just bought a CD off Ebay from the group "Rockapella", which includes the Carmen Sandiego theme song 

A CD player is useful for favorite travelling music in CD format collected in the 80s + 90s, although not everyone is into content like Paul.     Their loss.

I bought the CD because I wanted an original recording that probably wasnt smashed to bits by processing and processed over and over on youtube downloaded, uploaded, over and over.. you get the idea.