sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 13, 2018 11:41 am  #1

Jerry Howarth Calls It A Career

Jerry Howarth has announced he's retiring as the voice of the Blue Jays, effective immediately. He's been calling the games for 36 years. No word yet on whether Siddall and Wilner will be his replacements or whether Rogers will hire anyone else to fill the gap. Howarth was treated for prostate cancer last year but it's not clear if that contributed to his decision. He does cite the voice problems that kept him off the air for a month last season as one of the reasons there will be no 10th inning.

Howarth made it official on - where else? - The Fan, with an almost two-hour long appearance taking calls and listening to highlights.

I can't wait for summer, but it won't quite be the same without that voice calling a home run with the now infamous "And there she goes!"

And there he goes.

Blue Jays broadcaster Jerry Howarth retires after 36 seasons

Call It 36: A Tribute To Jerry Howarth

Jerry Howarth’s most memorable Blue Jays calls

February 13, 2018 1:15 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Howarth Calls It A Career

Jerry literally closed on a business deal worth thousands to me at my second station.  Jerry was sharing Romans 12:2 with a saved and secular church/minor baseball/local media crowd, as the headliner at our Blue Jays Blast-Off, celebrating the return of Blue Jays baseball to Peterborough radio.

I called a prospective advertiser who had been sitting on the fence, and told him "Somebody wants to say hello".  Handing the phone to my esteemed colleague, who spoke with his ever-present, ear-to-ear grin... "Hi Mike, it's Jerry Howarth! When are you coming on board?".  Right then and there, the advertiser committed - no more sales pitching being needed - and paid upfront. 

For Jerry's commitment to his craft, his professionalism - and his prayers - my continued, heartfelt thanks and lifelong appreciation.

Andy McNabb
AndyMcNabb.com

February 13, 2018 5:20 pm  #3

Does anybody find it odd that he retired "effective immediately"? You'd think after such a long career, he (and the network) would want some pomp and circumstance.

February 13, 2018 10:06 pm  #4

I think he really wanted to give it a go cGrant and yet as he indicated in his interview on the Jeff Blair show, he felt his stamina and voice would not hold up...I think it truly was a last minute decision.

I just wonder who will replace him, I am hoping it is not Mike Wilner, I would love to see Dan Shulman, but he is in with ESPN...

Perhaps it will be the play-by-play guy in the Jays Triple A affiliate in Buffalo...Ben Wagner..

Considering quite a few Spring Training games are on the radio, a decision will have to be made soon!

I am also sure Howarth might be a guest on a few broadcasts

But here is to a great career and some amazing Blue Jay moments!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 14, 2018 12:18 am  #5

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I think he really wanted to give it a go cGrant and yet as he indicated in his interview on the Jeff Blair show, he felt his stamina and voice would not hold up...I think it truly was a last minute decision.

I just wonder who will replace him, I am hoping it is not Mike Wilner, I would love to see Dan Shulman, but he is in with ESPN...

Perhaps it will be the play-by-play guy in the Jays Triple A affiliate in Buffalo...Ben Wagner..

Considering quite a few Spring Training games are on the radio, a decision will have to be made soon!

I am also sure Howarth might be a guest on a few broadcasts

But here is to a great career and some amazing Blue Jay moments!

cGrant doesn’t deserve to be aloud to post on this website

February 14, 2018 2:51 am  #6

Just a wonderful, first-class man.  I'm so sorry to see him call it a career but his health comes first.  Jerry never forgot a name or face and was always genuinely keen on your well being whenever he stopped by to chat.  I'm sure Rogers will see to it that he is honoured properly during the upcoming season.  Like the late Ernie Harwell in Detroit and the late Tom Cheek before him, Jerry Howarth was the soundtrack of my summers.

Last edited by maybo (February 14, 2018 4:21 pm)

February 14, 2018 10:42 am  #7

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I would love to see Dan Shulman, but he is in with ESPN...

​Shulman is employed by both ESPN and Sportsnet. He was on a bunch of Sportsnet Blue Jays broadcasts last year. He left ESPN Sunday Night Baseball after last season. Will continue to do college basketball for them and ESPN baseball post season radio. 

​I'd say the job is his to turn down. He cited wanting to spend more time with family in Toronto for retiring from Sunday Night Baseball. 

February 14, 2018 4:22 pm  #8

He's also the best scrabble player I have ever played with.  Amazing. 
You earned some rest Jerry.  Enjoy your family!!!

February 16, 2018 3:27 pm  #9

Former DJ, baseball announcer, and writer for MASH, Cheers and Frasier offers his tribute to Jerry.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.ca/2018/02/jerry-howarth-is-retiring.html?m=1