sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2018 10:18 pm  #1

Former CBC Radio Host Dying Of Cancer

I don't listen to a lot of CBC Radio 1, but one show I really used to love was called "Basic Black." It aired Saturday mornings in what is now the Day 6 time slot and was hosted by the often hilarious Arthur Black. It was on at a time when Saturday morning radio was almost a wasteland and provided a lot of very bizarre content that I still remember to this day. 

Black, who retired almost two decades ago, is now 74 and sadly suffering from pancreatic cancer, which is a certain death sentence (or as he calls it in the linked article "the Mike Tyson of Cancers.") But those who remember him won't be surprised he hasn't lost his legendary sense of humour. 

'Everything is funny': Former CBC Radio host Arthur Black diagnosed with pancreatic cancer

February 22, 2018 11:40 am  #2

Re: Former CBC Radio Host Dying Of Cancer

Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is almost a sure killer, as I can sadly attest from my own family.

And it usually doesn't take long.

In this case, it didn't.

CBC Radio personality Arthur Black dead at age 74

February 26, 2018 12:42 pm  #3

Re: Former CBC Radio Host Dying Of Cancer

Thank you for posting this. Arthur Black and, "Basic Black" was a Saturday morning staple in our house in the 80s. We first enjoyed him as a featured guest on Fresh Air (with Bill and Cy) when he was based out of Thunder Bay. From there, we followed him as he moved first to Toronto and then out to British Columbia. 
I met him once at a CBC openhouse when I was around 10 and it was a huge thrill. 
My favourite Basic Black character was George St. John (Sinjin) Quimby "in London" and his crazy news of the world.  R.I.P. Arthur Black.