Offline
The PWHL isn't coming until December. So what did the CBC show in place of its first Saturday night post-Hockey Night In Canada timeslot since 1952?
Cricket.
Yes, cricket.
That's a far cry from the weekly Leafs game generations have been used to. And the Corp. says there could be a lot of different programming in the timeslot until the Women's Hockey League hits closer to Christmas.
"CBC said its sports programming will vary from week to week rather than revolve around a single Saturday-night property.
“As the public broadcaster and Canada’s Olympic broadcaster, we want to provide the biggest and brightest stage possible for Canadian athletes and major events held in Canada,” (spokesman Chuck) Thompson said.
“We will be live on CBC Sports Prime Time as much as possible.”
CBC replaces Hockey Night in Canada with cricket
Offline
I was a little surprised when CBC decided to stay with sports on a Saturday night, but good for them for trying. I thought they would have put The National on at 10pm, making it a 7 day a week program.
Offline
Last Saturday's Super 60 cricket matches on CBC did beyond terrible in the ratings. Overnight numbers were 27,000 for the men's match and 19,000 for the women's match that followed. The tournament continues this Saturday. More on details on last Saturday night in sports from Bill Brioux...Saturday nights in Canada: how the numbers have changed post HNiC – brioux.tv
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Last Saturday's Super 60 cricket matches on CBC did beyond terrible in the ratings\
You completely missed the opportunity to say "were met with crickets"
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
paterson1 wrote:
Last Saturday's Super 60 cricket matches on CBC did beyond terrible in the ratings\
You completely missed the opportunity to say "were met with crickets"
Bill Brioux wrote something similar in the article.
Offline
Within a generation Cricket will be Canada's national sport.
Offline
Full disclosure, I played cricket as a kid/teenager, wasn’t very good at it but still enjoy playing. As a result I will tune in to watch a match time to time. I used to have Willow, the cricket channel, until Bell took it out of my sports package!
I enjoy the game probably because I played it but I can’t see it finding much of a new audience in Canada, so no surprise it rated poorly. And Walter, I really don’t see cricket being Canada’s national sport ever, we’re too impatient as sports viewers and some of these matches can last a weekend or more.
Last edited by Shorty Wave (October 7, 2026 7:47 am)
Offline
RadioAaron wrote:
paterson1 wrote:
Last Saturday's Super 60 cricket matches on CBC did beyond terrible in the ratings\
You completely missed the opportunity to say "were met with crickets"
Pretend for a second that Brampton Ontario is the ratings for all of Canada...
Offline
This was the first time CBC has shown cricket on Saturday evening, so most fans of the sport likely didn't even know it was on. If they continue eventually the broadcasts will find an audience, but that will still be a very small number. Sounds like they are actually planning to show various sports throughout year on Saturday night.