Offline
It's been on (well, off and on) since the early 60s. But the British TV classic Doctor Who has been put into limbo when its production company surrendered the rights, leaving the BBC trying to find new backers for the sci-fi stalwart.
But now there's a new wrinkle - an episode of the show that is entirely generated by Artificial Intelligence, featuring a brand new (unreal) actor named "John Warr" as the Time Lord. And as much as I'm suspicious of all things A.I., I have to admit this is pretty amazing.
It's a single episode called the "The Curse of Kilmorag" and despite being totally machine generated, it looks pretty good. Even the new head of the BBC agrees it's an impressive effort.
It was made by a fan-generated project called "The Unmade Season" and has already been viewed by hundreds of thousands of people online.
Depending on how negotiations go, we may never be able to see an actual new human-made Doctor Who. But this one is quite remarkable, despite its A.I. roots.
You can watch it for free and judge for yourself here.
And remember, the word "TARDIS" contains the letters "A.I.' in it, if that means anything.
Doctor Who Fan ‘Reboot’ Blows Up Online as AI Controversy Intensifies