Offline
This is the kind of announcement I wish I never had to make. Eric Alper is reporting that longtime disc jockey and CFNY genius David Marsden has passed away. He died on Friday but his influence on radio will live on.
Marsden was Dave Mickie on CKEY Radio for several years, but it was his programming on CFNY that created The Spirit of Radio, one of the most cherished stations and formats in Toronto radio history. His contributions to the medium earned him a spot in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, one of only two Canadian radio personalities to receive that honour.
He was also a cherished member of the SOWNY Board and his contributions, while infrequent, were always memorable and appreciated.
He was a true original and his passing leaves a big hole in broadcasting in this country.
The cause of his death hasn't been revealed but his final sign-off came at 85 years old.
David Marsden, Broadcaster Behind CFNY-FM’s Spirit of Radio Era, Dies at 85
Offline
Drex will have Ivar Hamilton on his show Monday to remember Mr. Marsden.
Offline
Broadcast Dialogue says Marsden passed away as a result of injuries sustained in a fall.
Sadly, falls are one of the major traumas suffered by people in their 80s and 90s that too often lead to their demise. It happened to both my mother and my aunt. And it's the same tragedy that appears to have taken Marsden away from us.
Marsden's website, where he re-created the old CFNY, will continue to operate online.
Meanwhile, Buffalo's PBS will be rerunning the full length Spirit Of Radio special at 8PM on October 10th.
Offline
Marsden's last posting was on his Facebook site on Sept. 11th.
Alan Cross remembers his old friend and provides his official obit.
Farewell to the Marsbar
Offline
The V.P. of Durham Radio, which owns The Rock 94.9, is mourning the passing of Marsden. The legendary jock worked there doing an overnight show for over 10 years, where he was allowed to pretty much play whatever he wanted.
"We were extremely lucky to have two time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee David Marsden to work with us for over a decade,” said Doug Elliott, Program Director of 94.9 The Rock. “His legacy is everlasting, as was his ear for alternative new music.”
His final appearance at the station was on Christmas Eve 2014.
The final curtain closes on The Marsden Theatre
Offline
Most here remember Marsden as the slow talking laid back jock telling you about the music he just played. But here's what he sounded like back in the early 60s, when he was Dave Mickie on CKEY, at the time a Top 40 competitor to CHUM.
It is almost impossible to believe it's the same person, but it shows how talented he was to be able to do both!
Dave Mickie CKEY, June 17, 1963
(Courtesy Rock Radio Scrapbook)
Offline
They couldn't be more different but Muskoka's Bay 88.7 claims David Marsden did a lot to shape the way the station operates.
"Marsden proved that radio doesn't have to be predictable to be beloved. He proved that listeners are smart, that local personality matters, and that a radio station should reflect real human taste rather than a pre-packaged corporate strategy."
Remembering David Marsden: How "The Spirit of Radio" Shaped the Soul of The Bay 88.7
Offline
I had the fortune to walk the same hallway that David did at 83 Kennedy Road in Brampton from 1985-1987 when I was an announcer for CKMW which shared the studios. I was in awe of everyone who worked at NY, it was the highlight of my radio career. I just did a search and can't find any mention of his time in New York as a top 40 DJ . One thing that I wish to point out from my time there is how it opened my eyes and heart to the diversity of people in this world. I had spent my previous time in the Maritimes and a year in Midland Ontario and wasn't exposed to the alternatives that some people chose to live their lives in. I had some reservations about being in such close proximity to those lifestyles, but I learned fairly quickly that people are people and it does not matter what they do in their private lives. I am grateful for the lessons learned and have carried those lessons to this day. RIP David.
Last edited by mic'em (Yesterday 6:11 am)
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
The V.P. of Durham Radio, which owns The Rock 94.9, is mourning the passing of Marsden. The legendary jock worked there doing an overnight show for over 10 years, where he was allowed to pretty much play whatever he wanted.
"We were extremely lucky to have two time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee David Marsden to work with us for over a decade,” said Doug Elliott, Program Director of 94.9 The Rock. “His legacy is everlasting, as was his ear for alternative new music.”
His final appearance at the station was on Christmas Eve 2014.
The final curtain closes on The Marsden Theatre
Living in the east end of Toronto, I picked up The Rock very clearly from Oshawa and enjoyed listening to The Marsden Theatre. He would mix the most unlikely songs together and make it all work amazingly. I think that his final appearance happened a week earlier than it was scheduled to in 2014 and I remember being pretty disappointed that he was not doing his show anymore.
He was a Canadian broadcasting icon. Rest in peace, Mr. Marsden.
Offline

What a shame about the fall. I think he was at the Rock 94.9 longer than any other GTA station. Found a tape of him at the station. Here's a bit from that. Playing CFNY favs Flash and The Pan who were once in the Easybeats of Friday On My Mind Fame :
Marsden - The Rock 94.9
Last edited by Fitz (September 29, 2026 8:50 am)
Offline
Alan Cross was on CBC Radio's As It Happens remembering his late former boss and longtime friend. But perhaps the highlight of the story is the embedded video - an impossibly young Marsden as Dave Mickie co-hosting a Sock Hop show on CBC TV, introducing a then relatively unknown singer. His name? Gordon Lightfoot.
You can see the video from the CBC archives here.
Offline

Some shoddy work in that CBC archives article:
"He began his radio career as "Dave Mickie," a fast-talking CHUM-FM DJ in the early '60s. He made such an impression that renowned media scholar Marshall McLuhan referenced his speedy patter in his landmark book, Understanding Media".
Also as Mr Marsden himself shared right here. CKEY was not even his first radio gig.
Last edited by Fitz (September 29, 2026 8:40 pm)
Offline
I'd long forgotten about this film - "I Am What I Play" was a documentary about four maverick disc jockeys, and David Marsden was among them. The film showcased how these radio announcers went above and beyond to not only fight the encroachment of corporate radio, but to ensure they got to control their own playlists.
Marsden talks about the freedom he sought and how he went from playing the hits to playing what he wanted.
The film was released in 2014 but hasn't hit the web for free yet. But it's coming. TubiTV has confirmed it will be adding the flick to its roster of free offerings beginning October 13th, and you can see a taste of what it's about in the trailer below.
Offline
"I Am What I Play" was conceived and produced by Roger King. His father was on the air in Detroit. Roger has been in Canada for years, was part of Democrats Abroad, and has been the owner of non-union voice agency PNA (Performers Network Agency) with offices in Toronto, Montreal and New York City, as well as non-union voice agency Etnic Voice Talent.
Offline
Sadly I hear, David put on his wings that Friday, I had no idea he was 85 when we lost him but I wish him Godspeed. Thank you David for the quality radio you provided.
Offline
dsgraham wrote:
Sadly I hear, David put on his wings that Friday, I had no idea he was 85 when we lost him but I wish him Godspeed. Thank you David for the quality radio you provided.
You might say he's now literally the "Spirit" of radio...