sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2018 2:34 pm  #1

Another One Bites The Dust At City TV

I was very sad to learn via 12:36's Twitter feed that producer Perry Gray is being let go from CityNews. I know Perry well and I can tell you in all candor that he was the sports department at the station. Someone scored a key goal or hit a home run 30 seconds before the nightly report was set to begin? Perry somehow got it on air in time - and that was in the era of slow videotape editing. 

He'd been there since 1984 and has managed to survive almost every purge and eccentric sports personality that has passed through the place. Until now. 

Apparently, like CTV, Rogers has decided that local sports can be better handled by its staff at the national Sportsnet than by the folks on the ground in T.O. Watching CityNews, it's obvious that local sports is no longer something they really care about. This from a station that made its bread and butter by being local, local, local and covering high school teams or competitions no one else gave a thought to. Anyone can and does show the Leaf highlights. But Perry conscientiously kept track of high school games, the Metro Bowl, the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team, the minor leagues and more. 

You likely never knew his name, but Perry almost single-handedly kept that department going from the days of Jim McKenny and John Gallagher, right up to today.

While I realize no one is guaranteed a job forever, it's just another case of Rogers being penny-wise and pound foolish. I hope he finds something soon. 

January 9, 2018 7:42 pm  #2

Re: Another One Bites The Dust At City TV

No room at Sportsnet for him?  You had a good run "Stats".  Good luck in the future!

January 9, 2018 9:41 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

...it's just another case of Rogers being penny-wise and pound foolish. I hope he finds something soon. 

Having worked for Rogers for 16+ years before getting that "Tuesday Tap", I can tell you that this has always been the case "post Ted".  The focus is always on short-term share price as the suits will leave after 5 years and cash in their stock options.

January 9, 2018 10:21 pm  #4

Justalistener wrote:

This has always been the case "post Ted".  The focus is always on short-term share price as the suits will leave after 5 years and cash in their stock options.

This is comforting to know...