sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2017 11:03 pm  #1

"Those mic socks are cesspools of disease!"

Richard Crouse, noted film critic, who has a show Saturday evenings on Newstalk 1010, and also contributes to roundtable discussions, has tweeted a close-up photo of a mic covered by a red sock with the familiar 1010 logo, commenting that "those mic socks are cesspools of disease!"

Back in my radio days, I remember the mic socks reeking of dope and "darts" and I made it a point of not putting my mouth too near, and adjusted the mic level accordingly.

Radio people still seem freaked out about the germy foam socks, you'd think some enterprising soul would have come up with a solution, maybe a spray...or maybe they could just clean 'em every now and then?!

December 20, 2017 4:09 pm  #2

Re: "Those mic socks are cesspools of disease!"

A real broadcast professional doesn't need windscreens or foam balls on microphones.
They know how to breathe and work all types of microphones and you won't hear them breathe, even with massive compression and processing.
And yes, those foam balls and windscreens are disgusting.
At my last few radio gigs, I brought my own microphone to the station and always had my own headphones.

December 20, 2017 5:18 pm  #3

Mike Cleaver wrote:

A real broadcast professional doesn't need windscreens or foam balls on microphones.

Well, better mic socks than talking into NT1010's Jim socks! I knew some broadcasters who used to bring their own mic sock in with them every day and take them home when the shift was over. That way it was one to a customer and no doubt about who had exposed their various bodily fluids to it on a daily basis.  

December 21, 2017 1:18 pm  #4

Mike Cleaver wrote:

So a true carpenter has no need for a saw?

Tools are there to make life just a little bit easier.

December 21, 2017 2:59 pm  #5

BoredOp wrote:

Mike Cleaver wrote:

So a true carpenter has no need for a saw?

Tools are there to make life just a little bit easier.

Thank you Mr. Bored Op! When I saw the original comment, I thought it was blatantly absurd. All v/o pros use screens. The notion, otherwise, is ridiculous.

Personally, I do bring my own cans and screens. And I use them.