Offline
Right now, they own 75% of the entity that controls the Leafs and the Raptors. But soon, they hope to have it all.
“We expect to complete the purchase of the remaining 25% minority interest in MLSE in the second half of this year,” Rogers Communications CEO Tony Staffieri said on the earnings call. “Following the close, we plan to combine our assets into one of the most significant sports ownership, media and entertainment entities globally.”
Rogers Plans To Take Full Control Of MLSE
Offline
I hate to say it but after seeing the list of teams Rogers owns or partially own, I find it hard being a Toronto sports fan as all four of these teams are underwhelming, even with the Raptors making the playoffs. If they want top performing teams, then spend the money and get the talent and don’t be the usual cheap Rogers.
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
I hate to say it but after seeing the list of teams Rogers owns or partially own, I find it hard being a Toronto sports fan as all four of these teams are underwhelming, even with the Raptors making the playoffs. If they want top performing teams, then spend the money and get the talent and don’t be the usual cheap Rogers.
Hey isn't there an article in the Globe or something reporting that Rogers plans to cut 30% of their staff?
I guess this is where the money is going...(?)
Offline
Rogers Sports and Media's 'How To" guide on never, ever winning a league championship.
Offline
Binson Echorec wrote:
Out of curiosity, who owns the remaining 25% of the NBA, NHL, and MLS teams?
According to the linked article, it's Larry Tanenbaum's Kilmer Sports Ventures.
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
Shorty Wave wrote:
I hate to say it but after seeing the list of teams Rogers owns or partially own, I find it hard being a Toronto sports fan as all four of these teams are underwhelming, even with the Raptors making the playoffs. If they want top performing teams, then spend the money and get the talent and don’t be the usual cheap Rogers.
Hey isn't there an article in the Globe or something reporting that Rogers plans to cut 30% of their staff?
I guess this is where the money is going...(?)
Possibly Radiowiz, however, Rogers Media has burned through a ton of cash of late having acquired/poached HGTV and Food Network, (and screwing up initial carriage), plus other higher than usual programming cost with Mandel’s Price is Right etc., so they’re feeling the pinch and their executives’ bonuses may be a bit lower this year, after the layoffs…..!
Last edited by Shorty Wave (April 24, 2026 8:00 am)
Offline
And now, sadly, it's done.
Rogers completes takeover of remaining 25% of MLSE
Offline
Some good questions raised by Toronto Sun columnist Rob Longley now that Rogers owns virtually every major sports franchise in Toronto. He's afraid of their well known penchant for eternally trying to increase their profits, where enough is never enough.
"If you thought it was expensive being a sports fan now, look out. With complete control, Rogers can jack prices for tickets, merchandise and broadcast programming to whatever stratosphere it sees fit.
Ticket hikes at the Rogers Centre and Scotiabank Arena haven’t exactly scared fans away, nor have the increased costs to Sportsnet programming."
With Rogers finally in full control of MLSE are Toronto sports fans about to be screwed?
Offline
I stopped going to leaf games. (unless someone buys me a ticket)
Not just because of the ticket price, but also because I hate how the snack bar section is royally ripping people off.
$8 for a 500ml bottle of pop? Come on!
That is waaaaay too high of a price. GOUGING at it's best!
Offline
Radiowiz wrote:
I stopped going to leaf games. (unless someone buys me a ticket)
Not just because of the ticket price, but also because I hate how the snack bar section is royally ripping people off.
$8 for a 500ml bottle of pop? Come on!
That is waaaaay too high of a price. GOUGING at it's best!
I know you often like to defend Rogers, but even you have to admit their "greed is good" mantra is way over the top.