sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2017 8:36 pm  #1

Does Corus Management Ever Actually Listen To This Weekend Show?

When Jack Berkovits first went on air at was then called AM 640 a few months ago, I listened to his premiere show out of curiosity. The one thing I distinctly recall him saying at the start of it was that it was not a sponsored show, that it has nothing to do with his businesses and that it was a serious outlet for exploring serious issues.

I’ve tuned in and out since then but on Sunday afternoon, I happened to hear his latest show. Almost the entire first hour was devoted to his outrage over a poor review his restaurant received and he went on and on and on about it, wondering why a customer would be trying to harm his business with a bad rating online. No surprise, he also managed to get in copious and repeated references to his jewelry business as well. 

I can’t help but wonder if anyone from Corus is listening to this thing and if they are, why they’re a) not charging him for the commercial time and b) not labeling the show as being a paid program. I admit I don’t listen a lot, but every single time I have, there are constant mentions of his jewelry store by name. I’m sure he’ll claim it’s just a coincidence or related to the topic, but it happens so often I would find that hard to believe.

He also went on air Sunday and started talking how the Numeris numbers came out this week and claimed his ratings have tripled since he started doing the show. First, while I suppose it’s allowed, it’s generally considered bad form to talk about your ratings on air. Second, what he didn’t say is that CFMJ had an absolutely atrocious book, coming in with an awful 1.8 share of the audience, down from the previous survey.

As for his numbers going up, I believe this was somewhat disingenuous, as well. If I increased from, say a 0.1 to a 0.4 (and I’m not saying that’s his rating, merely an example), I might be able to claim my numbers had skyrocketed, too. But that doesn’t mean they’re any good.

I have nothing personal against Mr. Berkovits and I wish him success in his broadcasting endeavours. I just wish he’d lose the ridiculous spin that puts whatever credibility he might still have at further risk every week. And for God's sake, stop with the free commercials.

December 10, 2017 9:02 pm  #2

Re: Does Corus Management Ever Actually Listen To This Weekend Show?

I heard that too...and he was also inquiring if one person's review on social media of a mom and pop shop, is ethical and how it can damage one's livelihood, especially for those business owners like him who are treading water.

There is a way to manage social media posts in a way that can really make a business come out shining. Is he really struggling to make ends meet? He spends soooo much money on radio...that I hardly think he is struggling.

Personally, I cringe and change channels when I hear his Omni ads...he is always yelling at the listener to buy...that the deals are ending soon it will all be over...

I cannot take his ad strategy at all, especially when they air on Jazz Fm, a station is easy, mellow, with nice jazz to listen to. Then he comes on and yells at me to buy jewels at half off...Yuck! Just yuck!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 10, 2017 9:11 pm  #3

Come to think of it, when was the actual last time you heard any of his ads on 640? They've been blatantly absent. They've been gone from RB as well.

And, in radio, EVERY station and EVERY show is #1. The spinmasters always floss over the details and wax hyperbole.

As for his show? I'm surprised it's still on. For me, 640 is a weekday daytime station only. The fact his show is on in the hinterlands, is enough to acknowledge that he's not ready for prime time.

December 10, 2017 9:11 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

When Jack Berkovits first went on air at was then called AM 640 a few months ago, I listened to his premiere show out of curiosity. The one thing I distinctly recall him saying at the start of it was that it was not a sponsored show, that it has nothing to do with his businesses and that it was a serious outlet for exploring serious issues.

LOL
I remember noticing that as well at the time.

"I found it amusing that when one of his ad spots came on during his premier broadcast, he apologized profusely ("That wasn't suppose to happen. It won't happen again.") and said he wanted to keep Jack the show host & Jack the jeweler completely separate. That lasted until the next show. Now, in addition to the ads, he even works his deals into his discussion."

http://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1518

December 11, 2017 11:54 am  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I quite enjoy Jack's show.

down-to-earth compared to early days when he claimed thousands of devoted listeners and callers lighting up the board like Time's Square

December 11, 2017 2:47 pm  #6

Charlie wrote:

Come to think of it, I hardly ever hear Saul anymore, either.

Oh, Saul is most definitely using his death-rattle voice on RB. He seems to have stopped with the ridiculous side-stories about whatever he ate for lunch, his trips to Mars and other psychedelic meanderings. Instead, he death-rattles off a litany of absurd markdowns by each floor of his multi-story den of clothing.