Offline
The American Songwriter site is one I usually really like, with lots of access to behind-the-scenes stories of hit tunes. So you have to wonder how they blew it this bad.
In an article published on Sunday, the site recalled how Dolly Parton's very first song, written when she was just 11 years of age, was not a hit until it was recorded more than a decade later by Donny Osmond. The song was called "Puppy Love" and indeed, she did put out that record by age 13.
But the Osmond hit was another song of the same name written by Canada's Paul Anka, who also had a huge hit with it. The article does not even mention Anka or his composition, which was a far more significant record. First time I've seen them get something so wrong, but I admit I didn't know Parton had written a song with that title. Let alone her first one ever.
So there's that!
67 Years Ago, Country Music Overlooked Dolly Parton’s Debut Single—Until Donny Osmond Turned It Into a Hit
Offline
They might have used AI to write some of this article as it tends to omit glaring details sometimes, (usually a giveaway), like Paul Anka’s “Puppy Love”, the only version I’ve heard of!