sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2026 8:51 am  #1


A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

Many years ago, I discovered this Sangean radio that was unlike any one I've ever owned. They don't make it quite the same anymore and there's a good reason for it. In addition to being a portable pocket radio, about the size of a deck of cards, it came with the traditional AM & FM - and back in the pre-HDTV days, the VHF band. 

That meant in addition to regular radio, you could listen to the audio of TV stations from Channels 2-13. It was incredible. I remember walking one of my early dogs down the street listening to the news or even Johnny Carson. As the old expression goes, "They don't make them like that anymore." And of course, with the conversion to HD, there would be nothing there to hear anyway.

But what a great little radio it was - very strong AM, OK for FM and a bonus for TV. I wish there was a radio that could pull in HD audio, but I realize it's not feasible and probably would not sell. But it was a great radio in its day and I still miss it.  (You can buy the model shown without the TV signals, and it's still a terrific portable radio.)

 

March 29, 2026 10:25 am  #2


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

What is the sound quality like RA?  I realize that through the speaker, the bass would roll off.  But does it sound fuller, or does it sound like a transistor pocket radio?


Cheers,
Jody Thornton
 
 

March 29, 2026 10:40 am  #3


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

Sangean has a small radio that can tune to HD radio stations. The model is HDR-14.  I bought one back in 2019 for about $90, but it's now $140 at Amazon.  I use it to listen to NewsTalk 1010 on 99.9 HD2 and GNR 640 on 95.3 HD2.

 

March 29, 2026 11:14 am  #4


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

Jody Thornton wrote:

What is the sound quality like RA?  I realize that through the speaker, the bass would roll off.  But does it sound fuller, or does it sound like a transistor pocket radio?

The speaker isn't great. It's pretty small. It's meant to be portable and listened to mainly through headphones. And the sound through them is pretty good on FM, remembering that AM is AM no matter how you're listening. There's also a bass boost switch, which makes things better if you're so inclined. 

I also like the fact it's generous with presets, giving you 19 combining AM and FM. That's more than enough for me. But you can also do manual tuning. 

I use it all the time when I'm out and it serves me well. It comes with a belt clip, which is a bit flimsy, but it's also small enough to fit in your pocket. 

Depending on your use, it should last you a few years, but I've had to replace it occasionally when the headphones start only coming out of only one ear. But remember I use it a lot, so that's probably more than most people. 

Here it is on Amazon.ca 

     •Thread Starter
 

March 29, 2026 11:24 am  #5


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

chrishch wrote:

Sangean has a small radio that can tune to HD radio stations. The model is HDR-14.  I bought one back in 2019 for about $90, but it's now $140 at Amazon.  I use it to listen to NewsTalk 1010 on 99.9 HD2 and GNR 640 on 95.3 HD2.

Had not heard of this, but checked it out on Amazon. It's an interesting looking unit and I might consider it. I sometimes like to listen while out shopping and AM radio signals are non-existent in the buildings, while FM does OK. Might be fun to own. Appreciate you drawing my attention to it. 

Now if they could only make one that gets HDTV audio. Those were really fun days!

     •Thread Starter
 

March 29, 2026 2:35 pm  #6


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

I remember I had a portible AM/FM/Weather/scanner radio and I used to get tv audio from CTV, TVO, WNED, and some others.
And when I used to visit family in Brantford, I used to get global on fm I think on 87.7 or somewhere in the lower end of the fm dile.

 

March 29, 2026 3:10 pm  #7


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

Yes, I believe it was 87.7 FM, which was the audio frequency for CBLT on Channel 6 at the time. I remember tuning it in all the time as a kid when they were showing cartoons and I wasn't home. The Global retransmitter on Ch. 6 came later and while it was farther away, it did usually make it into the GTA. I beleive it was based in Paris, Ont.

They mostly went away with the coming of HDTV, but some of the so-called Franken-FMs still exist. The most famous is Chicago's MeTV, which broadcasts as an FM station on Channel 6 and plays oldies. It's actually quite popular and even appears in the radio ratings.

The Sneaky Way Broadcasters Are Using TV on the Radio

     •Thread Starter
 

March 29, 2026 7:55 pm  #8


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

RadioActive wrote:

Now if they could only make one that gets HDTV audio. Those were really fun days!

For that, you might look at something conceptually like https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09G9VMFBF/ , which is actually a tiny TV with a 5 inch screen and receives ATSC digital TV signals. Then just ignore the screen portion.   

I've previously mentioned on this board this portable HD radio (just a little chubbier than a deck of cards) and I like mine; but no AM signals, just FM and HD Radio, so it's been said here it's a dealbreaker for some who still want AM coverage.


 

March 29, 2026 8:04 pm  #9


Re: A Great Radio With TV Audio That They Don't Make Anymore

Yeah, I know it's not a popular position with some here, but no AM equals no interest for me. 

     •Thread Starter