sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2017 2:32 pm  #1

Fall 2017 Numeris Diary Rating Results

Numeris has released its Top Line results for the 13-week Fall 2017 Diary Ratings conducted September 4th - October 29th. Numeris splits the country into  five regions: Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairies and British Columbia.  The ratings listed are for Adults 12+. Results listed include CBC ratings.

Click here for more details.

Just a reminder that the 2017 Fall PPM Ratings for TorontoMontrealCalgaryEdmonton and Vancouver will be released December 6th.

December 1, 2017 3:50 pm  #2

Re: Fall 2017 Numeris Diary Rating Results

What does it say about Bell's continued insistence that TSN Radio is a viable entity when its own CHAM - aka Funny 820, a cheap but completely automated service - beats its far more expensive sister in the ratings? 

CHAM came in at a 0.4 share, itself a pretty pathetic number. But CKOC (TSN 1150) only managed a 0.2. And that from a station that requires on air talent, producers, screeners, etc., those evil salary drawing employees that Bell likes to get rid of on a yearly basis.  

CHAM may run comedy, but there's nothing funny about the results. I understand the logic about branding and spreading the TSN name, but what good does that do when almost no one is listening? And book after book after book features the same sad chapters.

Maybe they shouldn't have given up the oldies after all.  

Station and Share

CHAM (All comedy)                  0.4
CHKX (KX 94 Country)             6.4
CHML  (News/Talk)                   5.0
CHTGFM* (The Grand Oldies) 1.2
CHTZFM*  (HTZ FM)                2.6
CINGFM    (AC "Fresh" Radio) 2.7
CJXYFM  (Rock)                       4.5
CKLHFM (Lite Rock)                 8.0
CKOC (All Sports)                     0.2

*=Spill station

Direct link to Numeris results

December 1, 2017 9:40 pm  #3

Does anyone have or remember the last numbers for CKOC and CHAM before they switched to sports and comedy?

Seems to me they would have done a hell of a lot better by just going with an an announcerless jukebox music format.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 1, 2017 9:52 pm)

December 2, 2017 10:06 am  #4

Ratings in some of the other area markets had some interesting results - to me anyway. 

In my own local market-Guelph-the two Guelph radio stations had a combined share of 17.1 which means an 83 share for out of market stations. Being a radio outsider (listener) I don't know where the Guelph radio listening is concentrated-probably Kitchener or Toronto mostly or CKPC_FM Jewel 92 whose full audience reach is 137,600 (only 24,700 of those are Brantford listeners).

In London the number two station is CKOT (Easy 101), which is not even in London, with a 12.3 share-just .7 behind the number one station-CBC with a 13.0 share. Who listens to Easy 101? - playing the most down tempo music of any area station except for the classical music stations, although it has improved somewhat over the past few months. Apparently a lot of people listen to Easy 101.

Then there is St Catharines-Niagara where the number one station with a 13.3 share is Giant 91.7-a classic rock station in Welland. Numbers two and three are Easy Rock and HTZ-FM with shares of 9.9 and 8.0 respectively. Interestly, Giant is where Kristy Knight wound up after being let go from HTZ. She does the midday 9AM - 2PM shift weekdays and the ratings in her time slot are through the roof-number one in the market. Just goes to show what real talent can do.