Offline
Some of the biggest names in sports radio aren't doing it anymore. And they're disparaging not only their old employers but the sports format itself.
I haven't listened to the Fan beyond the Jays games for years. So I have no idea if it still has the same talent or attraction it did back in the days when it was still on 1430 and had folks like Mark Hebscher or Bob McCown stirring up trouble on the airwaves.
Are the critics right? This editorial suggests they may be.
Sports talk radio isn’t dying, but it isn’t what it used to be
Offline
This...
‘…I’m not saying that any former radio host is wrong to criticize the state of sports radio. Eskin nailed the single biggest problem when he pointed out how little the business values its people.
He said you can make the same money producing a show on 94 WIP that you do at McDonald’s. The difference is that the guy hiring those producers at 94 WIP (who is someone I know well, and to be fair, is probably not the one who decided $13 an hour is all his top shows are worth) isn’t going to hire someone without experience to produce any of his shows. Those producers aren’t going to be able to just forget about 94 WIP until the next day when they go home, the way some other jobs can.
If radio is dying, it’s because radio keeps eating toxic waste and telling anyone who expresses concern that “There’s no proof that this is what’s causing my stomach aches. You sound vaxxed!”
.
Offline
I don't know if the US stations have fallen to this affliction, but Toronto's sports stations are talking too much about...sports. Sports radio works best when it's a sports-oriented personality offering. As mentioned above, other platforms are better for the raw information and speculation.