sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2017 9:38 pm  #1

Alex Pierson and Charles Adler join the am640 lineup

Matt Gurney has tweeted that Alex Pierson will do 7-10pm. and Charles Adler 10pm.-1am.

This starts next week.

(can I just say I hate autocorrect. Typed Matt's last name, correctly, and it turned Gurney into Guernsey. Told myself not to have a cow, and finally sorted the spelling... wonder how many last edited additions are courtesy of autocorrect.)

Last edited by betaylored (November 23, 2017 11:45 pm)

November 23, 2017 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Alex Pierson and Charles Adler join the am640 lineup

Good for Charles...

I'll be tuned in

November 23, 2017 9:42 pm  #3

Finally. They're making use of dead airtime.

Way past due. 

I wonder how long it will last.

November 23, 2017 10:37 pm  #4

I wonder if Charles is planning on having Gary Bell as a guest?

November 24, 2017 7:05 am  #5

Charles has sent out a tweet stating that he is looking forward to working with his friends at am640. He mentions Alex Pierson, and a list of others.

Curiously, he uses the Twitter handles of everyone but Mike Stafford and John Oakley. Their plain names in black look stark in contrast to the sea of blue of the others.

Even if Charles doesn't follow the other two radio hosts, it would have been a friendly, politically correct, smart move to find out and use their Twitter handles, as both tweet, with Stafford having a 'Stafford Show' and separate 'Loogan' account.

I won't be the only one to pick up on this detail, and question the two omissions.

Was this an oversight, or a subtle indication of something else?

November 24, 2017 9:42 pm  #6

Someone once told me that Charles Adler was created after two penniless U of W business students fucked a rolled-up Asper-era National Post.

I don't believe a word of it.

November 25, 2017 1:00 pm  #7

Why would that station add to their line-up and not tweak/change their morning drive?

November 25, 2017 10:19 pm  #8

Perhaps Alex would like to update the copy on her website, which proudly lists her as still being on the long defunct Sun TV - and worse, a regular contributor to Newstalk 1010 CFRB - which is now her direct competition. 

About Alex Pierson 

November 25, 2017 10:45 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps Alex would like to update the copy on her website, which proudly lists her as still being on the long defunct Sun TV - and worse, a regular contributor to Newstalk 1010 CFRB - which is now her direct competition.  

Someone thought it was the best they could do with the resources they had. Why you hate so much? Almost anything's better than what they are currently airing.

November 25, 2017 11:16 pm  #10

I don't hate AM640. In fact, I want them to be a lot better.

It drives me crazy that they don't deliver a better product on a more consistent basis and that they don't have proper back-up if someone gets sick or needs a day off. I think live programming at night is a step in the right direction and long, long overdue. They've played around with it before but this seems to be something that might actually last. 

As for Alex's website, it was just a reminder that it needs updating. It doesn't look good when your own site lists you as working for the competition. 

November 26, 2017 1:44 am  #11

When Stafford joined Matt Gurney, who was solo, last Thursday and Friday for the crossover chat before his show around twenty to 9am, it was radio gold. The two shared easy interesting peer to peer conversation about topics that was easily on a par with Ryan Doyle and Jay Michaels over on 1010.

'Mornings with Mike and Matt' is never gonna happen, but at that time Mon-Fri it's worth tuning in to.

You can fake laughter on the radio, but chemistry, not so much.

November 26, 2017 11:33 am  #12

Is the Charles Adler show on AM 640 a re-roll of his show in Vancouver; or will he do it live; from Vancouver; as they are three hours behind us.

November 26, 2017 12:25 pm  #13

Adler's show airs live 7pm-10pm PST which makes it 10pm-1am here. So, presumably it will be live.

November 27, 2017 11:14 pm  #14

Tuesday night just after 7pm. Alex Pierson takes over the am640 airwaves. I plan on tuning in, on a regular basis depending on if there's a hockey game on, and the topic.

With the holiday season fast approaching, I want to at least sound informed when conversing at parties. One cannot only rely on Mike Stafford and John Moore for information,  insight, spin and opinions.

("Insight, Spin, and Opinions" - the radio show of the future!)

November 28, 2017 11:19 am  #15

betaylored wrote:

When Stafford joined Matt Gurney, who was solo, last Thursday and Friday for the crossover chat before his show around twenty to 9am, it was radio gold. The two shared easy interesting peer to peer conversation about topics that was easily on a par with Ryan Doyle and Jay Michaels over on 1010.

Ryan and Jay? Jeesh

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

November 28, 2017 4:56 pm  #16

echomaster wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Ryan and Jay? Jeesh

Not sure what the "Jeesh" is about. Should it be Jay and Ryan? Do you not like to listen to their afternoon drive show?

I mentioned Jay and Ryan because they sound natural and like they enjoy working together, as opposed to some other radio duos, who have all the chemistry of two people conversing politely at a company dinner party.

December 1, 2017 9:43 pm  #17

betaylored wrote:

Matt Gurney has tweeted that Alex Pierson will do 7-10pm. and Charles Adler 10pm.-1am.

And this pushed Coast to Coast to 1am-5am.
Too bad. I rather enjoyed listening to that show when I was out and about in the car as I often am between 9pm-midnight. Not to be taken seriously but nice, light mindlessness.

December 2, 2017 12:04 am  #18

'Justa' your review "not to be taken seriously...nice, light mindlessness" is spot on. I'd listen to it every now and then at 9pm too. It was interesting when there'd be a guest on about a famous mob member, or an expert on the Beatles, or another band. Ear candy definitely. Brain candy not so much. "Coast" was never as good after Art Bell left.

December 2, 2017 11:32 am  #19

Coast to Coast is mindless entertainment, perfect for its time slot. Where else can you hear a phone call from John Titor, who claims to be a time traveller from the future who's stopping by after going back to 1973 to pick up a computer part. You can't make this stuff up (actually you can)! As the poster above says, it's "ear candy" and not "brain candy."

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 2, 2017 11:32 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram