sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2017 9:29 pm  #1

Tom Brown's Toy Mountain

Am I the only one who is waiting with less than baited breath for Friday's launch of Tom Brown's Toy Mountain Drive on CFTO?  He's even more annoying in those segments than he is when he screams the weather forecast.

November 23, 2017 9:56 pm  #2

Re: Tom Brown's Toy Mountain

While it's a good cause, I have to admit I tune this out. Every year. It's just not that interesting. Especially not over and over and over again for weeks.

Even worse is when they send Anwar Knight on remotes during the noon news. It always comes across as terribly phony, it's almost always something I don't care about (calling it "interesting" or "fascinating," Anwar, doesn't make it so) and the very worst part of all is that it reduces the actual weather report - you know, the thing he's supposed to be there to deliver - to about a minute or less. 

Past surveys I've seen have always indicated that the weather is one of the things people most often tune into newscasts to see - although a lot of those studies came out before the Internet was what it is now. Still, by severally curtailing one of the key components of the show, they're hurting their own cause.

And I generally turn the channel when he starts spieling on about bees, cleaning up creeks, showing kids in Halloween costumes, mulching gardens, touring a lottery house or whatever damn PSA they've decided to feature because it gives them the illusion of "serving the community" and looks good to the CRTC.  

They do it because weather is always an elastic flex point in every newscast and can be lengthened or shortened as needed.  

Just not on the ones I want to watch.