sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2015 10:06 pm  #1

Canadian Radio Station offering $40k for Gender Transition

[Via PaperMag]

Ottawa's New HOT 89.9 radio station is offering $40,000 toward one listener's gender transition -- and all they have to do is write in 100 words of less how it would benefit them. 

Named "The New Normal" contest, it's aimed at giving the "1 percent" of transgender people in their community a chance at living "the life they want to live." And while most have received the news positively, there's an inkling of skepticism clouding many responses, especially as this is coming from a station known for their controversial 2011 "Win A Baby" competition, in which they gave five couples $35,000 for IVF treatments.

-------8<---------------
There's also a comment posted by PD Josie Fenech..

Hello,

My name is Josie, I am the Program Director for The New Hot 89.9. Thank you for covering The New Normal, after all our goal with this is to open up dialogue and educate people as well as assist someone with their transition. 

I just want to correct one element of what you’ve published. Yes, the people who apply have to tell us why the $40,000 would benefit them, however, there is more to it than that. The application form is actually quite detailed. As it was with Win A Baby. We want to make sure the people who are applying are serious about it. 

I can also tell you, sincerely, that this is coming from the right place. All of us who work at The New Hot 89.9 are receiving an education on trans people and important trans issues as we go through this. We hope that The New Normal will have a positive impact, not only on the one person who will receive the $40,000, but on our hundreds of thousands of listeners and beyond.

more...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.