sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2017 11:20 am  #1

How Much Are You Paying For Those Mandatory Cable Services?

The CRTC is going to be holding hearings next April essentially renewing the already mandatory services you get on cable and satellite whether you want them or not or even if you never watch them. In a press release on Tuesday, the Commission revealed exactly how much each subscriber is forced to shell out for such highly watched outlets as CPAC, APTN, TV5 (it doesn’t matter whether you speak French or not – you get it) and The Weather Network.

Here are the ones they listed:

• APTN: $0.31
  • AMI-audio: $0.04
  • AMI-télé: $0.28 in French-language markets, and offered without a wholesale rate in English-language markets
  • AMI-tv: $0.20 in English-language markets, and offered without a wholesale rate in French-language markets
  • CPAC: $0.12
  • Canal M: $0.02
  • CBC News Network (in French-language markets): $0.15
  • The Legislative Assemblies of Nunavut and the Northwest Territories (only on the digital basic service of direct-to-home satellite BDUs serving Nunavut and the Northwest Territories): offered without a wholesale rate
  • OMNI Regional: $0.12
  • RDI (in English-language markets): $0.10
  • TV5/Unis: $0.24 in English-language markets, $0.28 in French-language markets
  • TVA (outside the province of Quebec): offered without a wholesale rate
  • The Weather Network/MétéoMédia: $0.23

This renewal hearing won’t likely be of much interest, since I expect a rubber stamp for most of them. But there is one very intriguing statement that I’d like a bit more clarity on. It reads: “The Commission will examine RDI’s and CBC News Network’s mandatory distribution orders at the next licence renewal of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s English- and French-language services.”

Does that mean they might actually consider not making CBC News Network a mandatory must carry? I can’t believe they would, but I’m not sure how to interpret that sentence. Perhaps they're just delaying it and will deal with it when the CBC gets a hearing of its own.

If it were to be a choice, I’d be very curious to see how many of us would continue to opt in. (And it may not make much difference anyway, since taxpayers continue to fund the CBC in any event.)

One more question, while we’re on the subject. I get why CPAC might be must carry. Even if they don’t care, Canadians should be able to watch what goes on with their government in the House of Commons. But why in the world would TV5 get that status? And  why is the Weather Network given special provisions, when I can get weather from other TV stations, along with radio and the Internet? It’s only 23 cents a month, but personally, I don’t think it's worth that much.

CRTC Release

October 17, 2017 2:20 pm  #2

Re: How Much Are You Paying For Those Mandatory Cable Services?

GREAT list...Gathered here...some of the least likely candidates to be watched at *my* home.  Anyone who wants ANY of that shyte should HAVE to pay for it.

The only one that gathers even a modicum of interest here?  www.theweathernetwork.com .  But wait.  I can go there on my computer and get everything I need immediately instead of having to wait for up to 7 minutes and then, as a further reward,  be 'entertained' by elevator worthy muzac.

The cable company we use now...is, by country miles, the absolute worst we've ever had to deal with...across the country.  They have no clue what to deliver...let alone how to do it.  We will be moving soon.  I think I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed...as WE have since we arrived within the Hellish confines of their 'jurisdicktion'.  We're good and damn tired of being dicked...let me assure you.  We can't move soon enough.  [I wonder if Harvey Weinstein owns stock in this cable company?  It seems highly likely.]

Last edited by Old Codger (October 17, 2017 2:29 pm)

October 18, 2017 11:52 am  #3

Old Codger wrote:

I think I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed...

That's EXACTLY the way people living along Victoria park treated cable in the 80's and early 90's. 
Rogers had North York and Shaw had Scarborough. VP separated the two sides.
Live in North York? Want to skip out and not pay cable? No problem! 
Move literally across the street into Scarborough and Shaw cable (Trillium before that, Scarborough cable before that) welcomed you with open arms. 
It didn't matter how much you owed Rogers. 

The problem was clearly solved when Rogers bought Shaw cable in Toronto.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 18, 2017 12:11 pm  #4

People PAID the cost of moving just to change cable companies?  Seems rather extreme in terms of the expense and the hassle.  [especially nowadays when TV content is just so downright MEGA shitty] 
--------------------------------------

We're moving anyway.  Got to.  It's a real health related thing...not because I'm sick of the local cable company.  [and I truly am]

Last edited by Old Codger (October 18, 2017 12:12 pm)

October 18, 2017 12:16 pm  #5

CBC NEWS NETWORK and RDI should not be mandatory.    Only CBC OTA feeds should be.   Same for all the news speciality channels.    If the channel is not OTA, there should be very firm rules on it being mandatory.   OMNI Regional I have an issue with it being mandatory when Omni 1 or 2 is available.   

No one should HAVE to pay for stations they don't want/watch.     If you don't subscribe to CBC NEWS NETWORK you shouldn't have to pay for it via your cable fees.

In a time when cable cutters are growing, mandatory channels should be really hard to get approved, and rules should be very strict.     

Only reason I haven't canceled cable outright at this point was skinny basic and now letting me pick every channel outside of that.   Our bill dropped from $75 for cable to get the channels we wanted to $35, which is much more reasonable. 

October 18, 2017 12:21 pm  #6

Old Codger wrote:

People PAID the cost of moving...

Moving literally across the street did not require hiring a moving company. (and still doesn't today)
It's really not that big of a deal.
Maybe the cost of renting a rent a wreck or something (or maybe they already own their own van?)...still not all that much. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 18, 2017 12:28 pm)

October 18, 2017 12:36 pm  #7

radiokid wrote:

CBC NEWS NETWORK and RDI should not be mandatory.    Only CBC OTA feeds should be.   Same for all the news speciality channels.    If the channel is not OTA, there should be very firm rules on it being mandatory.   OMNI Regional I have an issue with it being mandatory when Omni 1 or 2 is available.   

No one should HAVE to pay for stations they don't want/watch.     If you don't subscribe to CBC NEWS NETWORK you shouldn't have to pay for it via your cable fees.

In a time when cable cutters are growing, mandatory channels should be really hard to get approved, and rules should be very strict.     

Only reason I haven't canceled cable outright at this point was skinny basic and now letting me pick every channel outside of that.   Our bill dropped from $75 for cable to get the channels we wanted to $35, which is much more reasonable. 

I very much enjoy pausing, and rewinding live TV. Therefore, I continue to pay $65 a month for my cable, (including a free nextbox 3.0) otherwise, it's not worth it for me to pay $25 + $27.50 (for the Nextbox 3.0 that I'm currently not being charged for under my current cable plan)
$52.50 for very few channels, vs $65 for a lot more channels. 
OH...also, I get a 12% discount on that $65 for having 4 services combined...$57.20! 
A $5 difference for a lot more channels...this also (somehow) includes a $3 fee for gameshow network, which I can ancel any time if I desire to do so.  

I wish I could watch the Game show network (GSN USA) online some place for free so I could cut $3 from my bill. That would be nice...

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 18, 2017 12:47 pm)

October 18, 2017 12:49 pm  #8

Old Codger wrote:

I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed     

Have you factored in the cost + inconvenience of changing your phone number, to try and avoid their collection agency's incessant calls?

October 18, 2017 12:51 pm  #9

Ms. C. wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed     

Have you factored in the cost + inconvenience of changing your phone number, to try and avoid their collection agency's incessant calls?

It's free to change your phone number once...just tell your phone company there were unknown unwanted calls.
Bell and Rogers do not charge for a one time number change (and a free second change if done within 60 days)

October 18, 2017 1:55 pm  #10

Ms. C. wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

What wiz said...PLUS...I'm moving anyway...phone # HAS to change.  NO...I don't own, nor do I want, a cell phone.  'I'm not home...leave a message...if you HAVE to"... works fine for me.  I prefer to be left alone to enjoy my freedom...not to be tied to a  N A G G I N G  freekin' interruption machine.

October 18, 2017 4:09 pm  #11

radiokid wrote:

If the channel is not OTA, there should be very firm rules on it being mandatory.

Which brings up another interesting point. I noticed just this week that both CTV and CTV Two are available to live stream off the CTV website. But you have to "sign in" to get the feed. 

What does that mean? You can't access the signal unless you subscribe to a select number of either cable or satellite distributors. Yet both channels are freely available over the air without any charge.

But not, apparently, if you want to watch them online. 

Watch CTV Live on the net

October 18, 2017 8:20 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

radiokid wrote:

If the channel is not OTA, there should be very firm rules on it being mandatory.

Which brings up another interesting point. I noticed just this week that both CTV and CTV Two are available to live stream off the CTV website. But you have to "sign in" to get the feed. 

What does that mean? You can't access the signal unless you subscribe to a select number of either cable or satellite distributors. Yet both channels are freely available over the air without any charge.

But not, apparently, if you want to watch them online. 

Watch CTV Live on the net

Global also requires a sign in:  https://www.globaltv.com/watchlive/#

I think they are doing this to force people to (at least) pay for basic cable.
Also, doing this means that Canadian channels are not readily available on those black boxes out there

ie Red Rhino: https://www.redrhinoentertainment.ca/  
Red Rhino's live tv section is loaded with American and UK streaming channels, but almost nothing Canadain.

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 18, 2017 8:40 pm)

October 20, 2017 3:03 pm  #13

Old Codger wrote:

...I think I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed...

Yeah, and stiff the rest of us, too, because it's us hard-working honest folk who have to pay more for goods and services to made up for lost revenue due to cheats like you. 'Course, if your credit rating is already crap I can see where you may not see the downside, 

October 20, 2017 4:35 pm  #14

Justalistener wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

...I think I'll stop paying them about 2 months before we pull up and scoot.  THEY deserve to be stiffed...

Yeah, and stiff the rest of us, too, because it's us hard-working honest folk who have to pay more for goods and services to made up for lost revenue due to cheats like you. 'Course, if your credit rating is already crap I can see where you may not see the downside, 

A bad debt customer is not a cheat. They're simply bad debt customers and nothing more.
The cheats are the ones actually stealing cable on an ongoing basis.

Most bad debt customers are already in a situation where you really can not get blood from a stone.
I don't count them as intentionally stealing. 
Moving and not paying for cable is paid for in the credit rating anyway, so that too is also not a thing to worry about. 

October 20, 2017 4:35 pm  #15

That's a lot of Rhino bucks for an Android box that won't even support the latest version of Kodi

October 20, 2017 4:45 pm  #16

Skipping out on a bill; regardless if you hate the company IS cheating. Period. -30-

That is not something to boast about. Theft of service does impact others rates. -30-

October 20, 2017 5:02 pm  #17

pinto wrote:

That's a lot of Rhino bucks for an Android box that won't even support the latest version of Kodi

As of this posting, I DO NOT work for Rhino, and I never have.
It's a pretty good box, relying heavily on Apollo.  

October 20, 2017 8:31 pm  #18

Justalistener wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

Smell me you whiny little twit.  It WAS just a protest move.  Now I'm gonna do it so that you'll have to pay more.  What a dink!!!

October 20, 2017 8:34 pm  #19

cGrant wrote:

Skipping out on a bill; regardless if you hate the company IS cheating. Period. -30-

That is not something to boast about. Theft of service does impact others rates. -30-

And you...you chicklette...if I need any advice from you I'll ... I'll... hmmm ... No...I don't need ANY advice from you.  You're just an annoying weenie.

October 21, 2017 12:11 am  #20

cGrant wrote:

It's not cheating at all. Just remember this, a credit card with a thousand dollar limit...the bank considers raising the limit to $2500 but then reviews credit rating and changes their mind.

It hits in the credit pocket of the individual, not the remaining customers.
If it did cable would be well over a million dollars a month. 
(no shortage of cord cutters stiffing the cable company in 2017 alone...)

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 21, 2017 12:22 am)

October 21, 2017 10:22 am  #21

Radiowiz wrote:

It's not cheating at all. Just remember this, a credit card with a thousand dollar limit...the bank considers raising the limit to $2500 but then reviews credit rating and changes their mind. It hits in the credit pocket of the individual, not the remaining customers. If it did cable would be well over a million dollars a month. (no shortage of cord cutters stiffing the cable company in 2017 alone...)

Isn't OPM (other people's money) wonderful? This is exactly how politicians think!

And, in your example, what if the subscriber paid via a method other than credit card? The debt is still sent to Collections which, if successful, gives the cable company only a fraction of the debt; it is then written-off. Yet, companies still track that metric and apply it when considering their next rate increase.

I guess I was raised differently: I pay my debts regardless of how I feel about the company. After all, if I truly despise them, I wouldn't do business with them in the first place. After all, cable is a discretionary service.

October 21, 2017 11:59 am  #22

cGrant wrote:

[]After all, if I truly despise them, I wouldn't do business with them in the first place. After all, cable is a discretionary service.

Thank-you. I love Rogers very much. I'll take that advice the second they refuse to give me the best offers and deals, at which point I just might owe them for at least a month's internet, cable. landline and smart phone...

October 21, 2017 1:29 pm  #23

cGrant wrote:

I pay my debts regardless of how I feel about the company. After all, if I truly despise them, I wouldn't do business with them in the first place. After all, cable is a discretionary service.

You tip for piss-poor service too do you?  And "discretionary"?  There's only 1 cable choice where MOST folks live.  But when I move I will check with the local computer geek company to try and figure out a better choice for us.  And no...not satellite service.  Please!!!

You really only think about yourself right cG?

October 21, 2017 2:16 pm  #24

Old Codger wrote:

And "discretionary"?  There's only 1 cable choice where MOST folks live.  But when I move I will check with the local computer geek company to try and figure out a better choice for us.  And no...not satellite service.  Please!!! You really only think about yourself right cG? 

YES, it IS discretionary: having cable/satellite service isn't a basic human necessity. And, what's with your last comment about me thinking "only about" myself? Are you implying that because I do the RIGHT thing and pay my debts, that somehow, that's wrong and selfish? Hmmm... I didn't know we entered "opposite world". 

You really have a chip on your shoulder in regards to corporations and progress, don't you? I refuse to accept the notion that just because you feel slighted by a company, that gives you carte blanche to stiff them.

October 21, 2017 4:47 pm  #25

Radiowiz wrote:

cGrant wrote:

It's not cheating at all. Just remember this, a credit card with a thousand dollar limit...the bank considers raising the limit to $2500 but then reviews credit rating and changes their mind.

It hits in the credit pocket of the individual, not the remaining customers.
If it did cable would be well over a million dollars a month. 
(no shortage of cord cutters stiffing the cable company in 2017 alone...)

"It's not cheating at all"???

Well if it's not cheating then it's pretty fucking low...

My bride and I moved into our humble abode 5 years ago and in about 3 days time the phone started to ring.

The credit folks where looking for the previous owners of our new land line number...

Apparently these lovely lasses had buggered off with some Rogers equipment & owed them a whack of cash too...

We explained that Buffy and Sissy didn't live here any more and that we couldn't help them...

The calls continued off and on for about 2 years...

Very very disquieting to be hounded by the credit police when it's not YOU they are after....

Finally we convinced them to fuck off and leave us alone...

And that's why your cable bill is so high...

Two kunts from Anytown Ontario beat Rogers and they're gonna' make it up a thousand fold...

Last edited by unclefester (October 21, 2017 5:00 pm)

October 21, 2017 5:24 pm  #26

cGrant wrote:

I refuse to accept the notion that just because you feel slighted by a company, that gives you carte blanche to stiff them.

For over 41 years I have paid my cable and satellite bills in FULL.  I currently am receiving WAY below substandard service.  I have had it out with them umpteen times.  Their equipment either doesn't work and has to be replaced...by mail no less or I should what?..buy an antenna?.  And how is it that I am responsible for getting their crappy, malfunctioning item back to the post office so that they can mail it back to this outfit of misfits?   If I don't ... then I've BOUGHT the freekin' thing and they just tag it onto my bill, and then shut down my service...even though I've actually given them MORE cash than I currently owe them in real time for the services they're supposed to provide without FLAWS.   So far that's happened 3 times.  Wouldn't have happened once if their shit worked.

They offer a pitiful basic choice package that is actually better, larger and more diversified elsewhere in the same province where they also do business.  Here they lose their signal left, right and centre and sometimes the channels just don't work at all  But I get an on-screen note suggesting that it "should be available shortly".  Every time there's a hydro 'bump' let alone an outage it takes hours for them to get back up and running and almost none of the features we pay for are ready for use often for 1/2 the day or longer.  It's a joke.  It is the epitome of what is referred to in many a circle as "Mickey Mouse".

That's just some of what I put up with in order not to mess with my internet service and phone number.  It's an ongoing hassle that we, as a family, should NOT have to endure...at least not when we're PAYING for it... and, by and large, for 38 years didn't previously have to experience. 

In your world you call that progress do you?  Ya...you're selfish if you think that we or anyone else should not only have to chew and swallow that SHIT but also have to pay for it too.  Yet everyone who lives here rows the exact same boat.  I have no time for corporations which rip off their customers and treat their employees like disposable pieces of crap or when these supposed 'pros' are foisting THIS type of 'service' all across this area.  These are the ass-clowns who benefit financially from bringing in less expensive replacements for the folks who knew how to do the job.  Their stock holders should be warned and their 'bonus' money should be given to a local charity like the food bank 'cause they, sure as shootin', don't deserve it..  THAT B.S. drives up costs for everyone...and does so far more than my stiffing them ever would.  These 'wicks' are eating out of a trough which should have no place in the business world.  But you want me to support that with my money and kind words here in a forum which keeps an eye on exactly this kind of corporate do-do?

What a suck-up you are.  I'll have a chip on my shoulder the size of all outdoors for that kind of mismanagement and corporate failure forever... ... ...and a day.  You should too...but you're selfish.

October 21, 2017 7:16 pm  #27

TL:DR

I fast forwarded all your "woe is me" repetitive vitriol. Don't like it? Cut the cord. Amen.

October 21, 2017 7:28 pm  #28

unclefester wrote:

And that's why your cable bill is so high...
Two kunts from Anytown Ontario beat Rogers and they're gonna' make it up a thousand fold...

Actually, my cable bill is insanely low. Too low. I'd like to pay ten or so dollars more for what I am getting, actually.
(wait, I take that back-I could do with unlimited internet usage for $10 more...)

Not returning equipment is low.
But, if they are older boxes anyway, they belong in the garbage just as well. Worthless.
(ie can't change the channel when recording two shows)
The newer boxes are on a 3 year rent to own, where the final month's rent is $1 and the box is yours anyway.

Lastly, I'm not sure about the newer boxes, but the older boxes were designed to only work on Rogers cable.
No cable, no service. Box is worthless.
Just a blue screen that reads "Please call this number to verify the box"
When the person calls, Rogers knew who the box was assigned to...etc...

Somewhere along the way, I guess Rogers forgot to protect their own boxes so they can only be used by the customer it's assigned to...

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 21, 2017 7:34 pm)

October 21, 2017 9:05 pm  #29

Didn't the greatest generation call it "the idiot box?"

I stopped watching couple years ago, there's too many good shows (Fringe, Suits) on dvd to buy, trade with friends, get free from the library, hockey is available on my phone with the CBC app. Anything from the boob tube ends up on YouTube anyway, SNL et all.

Cable schamable.

October 21, 2017 9:06 pm  #30

heh, someone is getting trolled....

crap i didn't realize the image would be so big!

Last edited by splunge (October 21, 2017 9:08 pm)