sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2015 10:53 pm  #1

FM 96.3 Kingston has gone big

Today at noon Corus owned FM 96 in Kingston became the newest Big FM station. The launch happened after about 20 seconds of dead air. Seems like the on air staff are the same but they did make modifications to what times certain on air talent are on. Overall I think this one is going to be better then the one in Winnipeg. But it makes me wonder how long it will be until some of the other rock based stations in the GTA swap to the big FM brand.

August 29, 2015 5:33 pm  #2

Re: FM 96.3 Kingston has gone big

I have heard from a source inside Corus quay that in the next 6 months they want to expand the big FM brand to one or more stations in southern Ontario. It was thought they would flip both Q107 stations to big but now its looking like FM 96 London Y108 and Dave-FM are possibly changing. Rock 101 in Vancouver is also possible. The idea of the big FM branding is the same as the fresh radio branding.
The eventual goal is to have a main webpage with links to each city that has a big FM. This way there can be content sharing between stations in a cost saving measure.

August 30, 2015 12:43 am  #3

At one point, "Big" fm was going to be a station here in Toronto in another language (Tamil?)
I'm not sure what happened to that plan. Nothing to do with Corus though-I think it was going to be 102.7 or one of the other new ones...?

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 30, 2015 12:44 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 30, 2015 4:31 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

At one point, "Big" fm was going to be a station here in Toronto in another language (Tamil?)
I'm not sure what happened to that plan. Nothing to do with Corus though-I think it was going to be 102.7 or one of the other new ones...?

Correct. If I remember it was a potential station when 88.1 was available which we know went to indie 88. Indie is not solely responsible for the woes at edge but I don't think I have listened to the edge since Bookie left. I can't stand the on air staff now. And to me the staff don't sound good in the instances where I have heard it. It almost sounds like they think all the listeners are dumb teenagers, and no I am not saying teenagers are dumb. Only some. Indie shows a passion for the music they play. You hear it from everyone.

I personally think Corus needs to drastically change how they operate. Even if all they do is create a network of big, fresh and maybe boom stations as well as a social talk network for some of the struggling am stations. Might save some of the costs by running best of shows on certain stations. Like how Rogers has the Blake and wylde show on some of the other kiss stations. I don't agree with it. But if it helps the bottom line and helps turn the stations around then by all means go for it