sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2015 1:48 pm  #1

The Three Faces Of Classical 96.3

The CRTC renewed the licences of all of Moses Znaimer's FM radio stations on Wednesday, which is not a surprise or a big deal. But contained in the commission's decision was this interesting bit of information: 

"The licensee is authorized to use Subsidiary Communications Multiplex Operations (SCMO) channels to distribute a commercial Tamil-language service and a commercial Persian-language service produced by Radio Sedaye Iran." 

Which means there are two other stations being carried on that signal. I think this came up on the old SOWNY board, but if memory serves, weren't the SCMOs on AM740? Or is that even possible on an AM station? 

Who gets these near subcarrier stations and where do they get the equipment to receive them? Or are they just carried by BDUs as part of a cable or satellite service? And how common are SCMOs? Radios are available - this site claims to sell them as an example - but I've got to wonder how many people even know these signals are there, let alone be willing to buy a new radio just to hear them. Gotta wonder how these niche outlets make any money. 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 19, 2015 1:48 pm)

August 19, 2015 2:51 pm  #2

Re: The Three Faces Of Classical 96.3

RadioActive wrote:

Gotta wonder how these niche outlets make any money

Replace one hour of Gene Stevens + one hour of Denis Snowdon with two hours of the Chris Robinson Travel Show; eventually the savings will add up, eh? 

August 19, 2015 4:26 pm  #3

Re: The Three Faces Of Classical 96.3

SCMOs are quite common, and often elaborate production facilities.  I used to know the Tamils on 96fm and the studios were more technically involved than many I've seen.
Typically, SCMO operators serve a specific and tightly knit community, like the Tamils.  In that case, they subsidized and, in some cases, gave away the special receivers necessary.  SCMOs in the right hands are money makers.
FYI the SCMO operator only rents the technical facility, they have separate ownership and operations from Classical 96

http://ctbc.com/

Last edited by splunge (August 19, 2015 4:28 pm)