sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2015 10:21 pm  #1

Brief clip of Benjy Karch 1975

There was some discussion about Benjy Karch on CHUM  FM in the 70's on the board a while back. I have just posted a brief aircheck of him on CHUM FM from 1975. I thought I had a longer intact air check of his but unfortunately this one is mostly music. You will also hear the sultry voice of Yola on WBUF FM  near the end of the aircheck.

Plus some tape of The  Sunday Morning Oldies show. Date unknown and taped off CHUM FM and featuring The Spencer Davis group as the group leader provides some insights about their hits.

http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

Last edited by Fitz (August 16, 2015 11:26 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 17, 2015 8:14 am  #2

Re: Brief clip of Benjy Karch 1975

Fitz wrote:

some tape of The  Sunday Morning Oldies show. Date unknown and taped off CHUM FM

what year did sunday morning oldies move from FM to 1050 CHUM please

August 18, 2015 10:01 pm  #3

Kilgore wrote:

Fitz wrote:

some tape of The  Sunday Morning Oldies show. Date unknown and taped off CHUM FM

I don't know or remember the exact details but I think the show started on the am side around 1980 and may have bounced back and forth a couple of times. Just a guess but maybe moved back from FM to AM around the time when Roger, Rick and Marilyn's signature contest The Morning Mystery Oldie became The Moning Mystery Hit. Perhaps the concept of "oldies" was no longer welcome on a AC/Hot AC format. Not sure what happened during the 1050 Team era - maybe the show the went off and then came back on AM with the return of oldies. I belive the show was running on AM when 1050 CHUM dropped oldies in 2009.

Last edited by Fitz (August 18, 2015 10:02 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 19, 2015 6:01 am  #4

Fitz wrote:

the show started on the am side around 1980 and may have bounced back and forth a couple of times

"like a rubber ball" - bobby vee
"communication breakdown" - led zeppelin
"it doesn't matter anymore" - buddy holly

August 19, 2015 9:30 am  #5

Fitz wrote:

Kilgore wrote:

Fitz wrote:

I don't know or remember the exact details but I think the show started on the am side around 1980 and may have bounced back and forth a couple of times. Just a guess but maybe moved back from FM to AM around the time when Roger, Rick and Marilyn's signature contest The Morning Mystery Oldie became The Moning Mystery Hit. Perhaps the concept of "oldies" was no longer welcome on a AC/Hot AC format. Not sure what happened during the 1050 Team era - maybe the show the went off and then came back on AM with the return of oldies. I belive the show was running on AM when 1050 CHUM dropped oldies in 2009.

The Sunday Morning Oldies show started on CHUM-AM on November 20, 1980. I don't know when it moved to FM, but my best guess would be in 1986 when CHUM-AM switched to "Favourites of Yesterday and Today." The show went through several changes on CHUM-FM - at one point they shortened it to two hours and called it "Sunday Seventies" and later "Sunday Soul" (I think it was also called "Sunday Oldies" for a time).

Sometime after CHUM-AM's switch to oldies in 1989 the show went back to AM where it returned to a three-hour format beginning at 9 a.m., repeated at 9 p.m. (it was back no later than 1997 as I have an aircheck of the show from that year). The show disappeared sometime before CHUM-AM switched to The Team in 2001 but returned after it went back to oldies in 2002. The Sunday Morning Oldies show ended in March 2009 when CHUM-AM began simulcasting CP 24, thus ending its oldies/classic hits format.

Notes: Somewhere deep in my memory banks I recall Daryl B hosting the show for a very brief time on the AM side. I also remember Ashby used to host The Sunday Morning Oldies Show from September to June then take the summer off while continuing his weekday duties. He did that for years but later started doing the show year-round.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 19, 2015 7:59 pm  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

The show disappeared sometime before CHUM-AM switched to The Team in 2001 but returned after it went back to oldies in 2002. 

I recall that the rationale given by CHUM-AM for cancelling it was that they weren't getting full credit for it in the ratings ... they said that some people were crediting CHUM-FM instead, because of it being hosted by Roger Ashby. Tried to find an online source for this, but it was probably contained in an email from the station to one or more of us here on SOWNY. It was definitely discussed here.

August 19, 2015 8:07 pm  #7

Lorne wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

The show disappeared sometime before CHUM-AM switched to The Team in 2001 but returned after it went back to oldies in 2002. 

I recall that the rationale given by CHUM-AM for cancelling it was that they weren't getting full credit for it in the ratings ... they said that some people were crediting CHUM-FM instead, because of it being hosted by Roger Ashby. Tried to find an online source for this, but it was probably contained in an email from the station to one or more of us here on SOWNY. It was definitely discussed here.

I remember that too.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 20, 2015 2:30 am  #8

thank God we still have Robbie Lane, Johnny Maraca & Freddy Vette

Last edited by geo (August 20, 2015 2:34 am)