sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 7, 2023 7:15 am  #2

Re: 30 years of 680 News

I love the fact that they're actually paying attention to their own past. That's very rare in radio these days, especially marking a format change.

Remember when CFRB turned 90? Probably not, because they never said a word about it on air. It was noted here on SOWNY, but probably nowhere else. (Do you suppose they'll ignore their 100th, too? It comes on Feb. 19th, 2027, so they have lots of time to prepare!)

CFTR is doing a multi-part podcast to celebrate the event. That's a nice change, too. Good for them. I'll be listening to the entire series. 

June 7, 2023 9:13 am  #3

Good on 680 News.  Interesting that the station has had solid ratings for years while CFRB has frittered away their reputation and history.  City tv also was one of the very few heritage stations that increased their audience last year.  Breakfast Television has improved a lot over the past year IMO and are likely part of this increase. 

June 7, 2023 11:18 am  #4

680 is one of the best for news.  

June 7, 2023 5:16 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

So much so that I'll listen to them for news...or CBC Radio 1...or even WBFO...BEFORE I listen to WBEN.

June 7, 2023 5:18 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I love the fact that they're actually paying attention to their own past. That's very rare in radio these days, especially marking a format change.

Remember when CFRB turned 90? Probably not, because they never said a word about it on air. It was noted here on SOWNY, but probably nowhere else. (Do you suppose they'll ignore their 100th, too? It comes on Feb. 19th, 2027, so they have lots of time to prepare!)

CFTR is doing a multi-part podcast to celebrate the event. That's a nice change, too. Good for them. I'll be listening to the entire series. 

I plan on listening to it as well. And in all honesty, it's RARE to see a station stick with the same format for years if not decades and openly acknowledge it. As noted earlier, CFRB turned 90 with not even a word of talking about it.

June 7, 2023 6:40 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

Yugo was one of the best for cars.

June 7, 2023 10:04 pm  #8

Canadian Radio News, an excellent Facebook site for updates on station activity across Canada, also picked up this story and got this short response from ex-morning man Gene Valaitis:

"Thanks for reminding me that I was, along with a very talented on air staff fired today 30 years ago. LOL. The "Jesse and Gene-show" was the last morning show. So happy for people like Paul Cook."

June 8, 2023 11:29 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I listened to part of Part 1 yesterday, interestingly it touched a lot on Ted Rogers Sr. and the establishment of CFRB.

June 8, 2023 4:11 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Canadian Radio News, an excellent Facebook site for updates on station activity across Canada, also picked up this story and got this short response from ex-morning man Gene Valaitis:

"Thanks for reminding me that I was, along with a very talented on air staff fired today 30 years ago. LOL. The "Jesse and Gene-show" was the last morning show. So happy for people like Paul Cook."

The first part of the 680 podcast mentions a funny story about Jesse & Gene when they made the move to 640.

June 21, 2023 10:04 am  #11

June 21st is the date of another milestone moment for 680. It happened in 1971. But it's not one they're likely to mention on air.