sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2023 11:19 am  #1

AM Is On A Deathwatch. Could FM Be Next?

This article from a broadcast consultant raises an interesting question: as carmakers take out AM radios and the band struggles to survive in an increasingly staticky world, could FM eventually face the same fate, especially as it trends towards syndicated or automated programming?

"Most small and medium-market FMs lack local hosts; their poorly scripted liners are read by the same talent in multiple markets. Many stations are also not equipped to handle local news stories or information about developing emergencies or even have a physical local presence. Stations are cutting costs by not having talent. 

What’s next? Are we going to listen to radio hosted by artificial intelligence? Was Max Headroom a prophecy?"

A Rant About Radio: AM is in a fast decline, but FM isn’t far behind

May 31, 2023 12:15 pm  #2

Re: AM Is On A Deathwatch. Could FM Be Next?

Local radio's main advantage is that it's local - but more and more stations are losing out on this differentiating feature by opting for syndicated programming (often voicetracked) and dispensing with or severely cutting their news departments, local talkers, and staff who could cover local events  (let alone promoting local bands and performers)

May 31, 2023 12:50 pm  #3

I predicted in a previous thread that we'd probably have a discussion like this about FM radio in about 10 years time. After reading that article, I believe it may happen sooner.

The one argument that AM has going for it (or at least AM owners think that it has going for it) is that AM is seen as being a major source for news. Although news/talk formats are making their way onto FM, the majority of stations still play mostly music and go hours on end without news. If automakers eventually try to eradicate FM radio from their vehicles, it could be a harder sell trying to convince the public and car manufacturers that it's an essential service in that regard.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 31, 2023 1:15 pm  #4

AM Newstalk GTA is killing itself. 1010  and 640 have signals beyond the City of Toronto, yet they have become very local radio. I live in Oakville and don't care about the machinations of Toronto politics or road works.

The turnout for Mayoral voting is 25% to 38%, so they are trimming their potential audience by covering this in such detail. Wake up; nobody is that interested, including advertisers.
News talk radio also features very little actual news; it's more support for individual daily shows. 

I am a bi-partisan guy, and my alternatives in the morning 9 to 12 slot are 2 Trudeau bashing conservative radio hosts who tell me the world as we know it will end its slash your wrists radio.

There is life and advertisers beyond The City of Toronto, and when the Toronto talk stations figure out what GTA means, they may survive.