sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2023 11:47 pm  #1

Ed the Sock On 94.9 The Rock Doing Midnights Starting Tonight

https://twitter.com/EdtheSock/status/1653551348476985345?t=C6216AROHW3NkxV0zboPWA&s=19

The night owls and shift workers will be glad for the company.

Congratulations on the gig Ed, Sock it to the competition! 🎧🎙️🎶

Last edited by betaylored (May 2, 2023 11:49 pm)

May 3, 2023 12:12 am  #2

Re: Ed the Sock On 94.9 The Rock Doing Midnights Starting Tonight

Weird. I just heard him and his wife on Sauga960 on Friday doing a talk show. Well, more like an argument show. It's actually their podcast broadcast on air and it gets a lot of mileage on the station - it's repeated two more times on the weekend.

Can Mr. Kerzner be doing both on two different stations? Does one outlet know about the other? I guess if you're a freelancer, it's OK, but what an odd arrangement.

Ed & Red On Sauga960

May 3, 2023 12:44 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Weird. I just heard him and his wife on Sauga960 on Friday doing a talk show. Well, more like an argument show. It's actually their podcast broadcast on air and it gets a lot of mileage on the station - it's repeated two more times on the weekend.

Can Mr. Kerzner be doing both on two different stations? Does one outlet know about the other? I guess if you're a freelancer, it's OK, but what an odd arrangement.

Ed & Red On Sauga960

Different markets...even if, technically.  It's the classic dispute that nobody's gonna go all the way out to Oshawa and shop from Mississauga...and vice versa.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 3, 2023 2:16 am  #4

They should get Max Headroom and the California Raisins while they're at it.  What year are they living in out there? Wait until Oshawa discovers Hill Street Blues.  It'll take the city by storm!

Does anyone have a pager they want to sell?  Or a dot matrix printer?  You know who to fax!

May 3, 2023 6:16 pm  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

They should get Max Headroom and the California Raisins while they're at it.  What year are they living in out there? Wait until Oshawa discovers Hill Street Blues.  It'll take the city by storm!

Does anyone have a pager they want to sell?  Or a dot matrix printer?  You know who to fax!

Clear as day, you missed the point. 

May 3, 2023 6:31 pm  #6

See it's a sock puppet -- on the radio.

And every night? That will get annoying, fast.

How long has it been since he's been on TV? For a large portion of the audience this will be a random guy with a grating voice.

May 3, 2023 6:57 pm  #7

[img]https://www.foodandwine.com/thmb/2Ret_yu57R6CNM8T4CSX9yP_IR0=/1500x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():format(webp)/the-california-raisins-fwx-c54f879e2bb548d6b38908d8e75f81b3.jpg[/img]

May 3, 2023 8:58 pm  #8

Sounds like a really big shew, er shoe.

Shoe, sock?

I'm here all week.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 4, 2023 2:07 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

A character that has to be seen to be fully appreciated that was popular two decades ago on a pop music TV station turning up on a rock radio station that, at the older end of its demo reaches people who would have found Much Music too commercial and not watched, and at the younger end reaches people who will have no clue who Ed the Sock is, at a time of day when virtually no one will hear anyway, seems pretty pointless, so please enlighten me.  What is the point that I have missed?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (May 4, 2023 2:09 am)

May 4, 2023 4:16 am  #10

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

A character that has to be seen to be fully appreciated that was popular two decades ago on a pop music TV station turning up on a rock radio station that, at the older end of its demo reaches people who would have found Much Music too commercial and not watched, and at the younger end reaches people who will have no clue who Ed the Sock is, at a time of day when virtually no one will hear anyway, seems pretty pointless, so please enlighten me.  What is the point that I have missed?

Maybe you're finding that, but I'm not. 
This was a very smart move, plus live overnight shift, with someone there who actually answers the phone. 
(Ed himself!)
 I don't really care. I like the fact that someone is there live, answering the phone and all.
A lot better than nobody there at all. 
He's also current and active on Facebook with a following over there. He was already doing a podcast, so I'm very glad 94.9 didn't just toss that on (I would not support an overnight VT)
https://www.facebook.com/edthesock.official

Good for you Ed! Keep up the great work! Thanks for being LIVE on the overnight shift!!!

Ed is also current on https://newmusicnation.ca/  
Durham radio inc didn't just dig him up out of a drawer y'know!
I'm pretty sure they thought this through well.

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 4, 2023 4:24 am)

May 16, 2023 4:42 pm  #11

Broadcast Dialogue has finally gotten onto this story. 

According to The Rock's VP of Sales:

“I had this idea that there’s a huge untapped market in Durham and the GTA of overnight shift workers, insomniacs, and the like, that just aren’t being serviced much by radio broadcasters anymore...And for radio to better compete with all the streaming audio options out there, I believe we need to go back to what radio can do best – provide companionship on a personal level, with a personality that is local and live, right in our communities.  We’re providing a product that is unavailable elsewhere.”

Agree or disagree, one thing's for sure - they won't have a lot of competition in that timeslot. 

Ed the Sock revives overnight radio format in the GTA

May 16, 2023 5:22 pm  #12

I am not awake during the overnight hours. Is this show live or voice tracked ?

May 16, 2023 6:02 pm  #13

mic'em wrote:

I am not awake during the overnight hours. Is this show live or voice tracked ?

Definitely LIVE. You can phone in and he will answer the phone. I don't think he's taking requests though, but Ed will chat with you, possibly put you on the air. 

May 16, 2023 9:10 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Broadcast Dialogue has finally gotten onto this story. 

According to The Rock's VP of Sales:

“I had this idea that there’s a huge untapped market in Durham and the GTA of overnight shift workers, insomniacs, and the like, that just aren’t being serviced much by radio broadcasters anymore...And for radio to better compete with all the streaming audio options out there, I believe we need to go back to what radio can do best – provide companionship on a personal level, with a personality that is local and live, right in our communities.  We’re providing a product that is unavailable elsewhere.”

Agree or disagree, one thing's for sure - they won't have a lot of competition in that timeslot. 

Ed the Sock revives overnight radio format in the GTA

There’s no way a sales guy actually said that.

May 17, 2023 7:34 am  #15

I used to love all-night radio - though I'd rarely be awake past 1 am -but with YouTube and streaming I don't think the at-home insomniac audience that would have been there even 30 years ago would still be there and I don't think there are enough late-night cabbies and Uber drivers to make it worthwhile. What were Jim Richards's overnight ratings like?

May 17, 2023 8:18 am  #16

Not sure they take ratings after midnight, so there may never be any way to really know. But remember, the Richards overnight show was a simple cost cutting move for Bell. One crew for one salary services a large number of radio stations across the country. Quite a bargain, although not as big a cost saver as airing rerolls, which is what they do now. 

(Ironic, in a way, that two hours of Jim Richards' cross-country evening show occupies the last two hours of that early morning rerun cycle.)

I'm surprised no one in Canada airs Coast-to-Coast AM anymore. Not my favourite show, but it was live and cheap programming that some people really liked.

May 17, 2023 6:52 pm  #17

May 17, 1965, when almost all stations had a live all night show.  And all night programming and the hosts were promoted..

Last edited by paterson1 (May 17, 2023 6:54 pm)

May 17, 2023 7:32 pm  #18

Not only an all-night DJ, but they also had news, sports and weather into the wee hours. Even ski reports in the winter. Truly what we used to call a "full service" radio station. That was a very different time.

Hard to believe but for a while when he first started there, Roger Ashby did the graveyard shift on 1050 before graduating to better timeslots. This chart is from Sept. 6, 1969, courtesy The CHUM Tribute Site.

May 18, 2023 4:57 pm  #19

as far as people not knowing who "ed the sock" is.... yes, many younger adults might not know, but then again, does this demo listen to all night radio (or any other day part)? if anything, i'm guessing durham radio will use this as another way to market themselves, albeit indirectly, as a "toronto" station. it's nothing new for them. as a result, and in my opinion, it's just as much a promotional move as it is a programing decision.
i would think, as the novelty wears off, it'll be tough to stay in character when those late nights grind on (you're getting sleepy....sleeeeeeepy).
ahhh... going back in time when the  am frequency ruled interactive overnights.

as an aside, is dave marsden's show still on "the rock"?.... yes, i'm living under a rock.

May 18, 2023 5:16 pm  #20

Mr. Marsden has his own online radio station, appropriately titled "NY The Spirit.com." 

It's an offbeat throwback to the original CFNY, and not only includes Marsden curating much of the music and doing his own eclectic show, but also features some of the legends from those Spirit Of Radio days. Names like Ivar Hamilton, Allnite Andre, Dani Elwell and Earl Jive also appear on the site, which is sometimes live and sometimes automated. But everything it does is, well, Spirit-ed.

It's a subscription service but there's a free trial if you're interested in a taste of what he's been up to for the past few years. 

NYTheSpirit.com

July 26, 2023 11:45 pm  #21

Broadcast Dialogue's latest podcast features Steven Kerzner (aka Ed) and 94.9's P.D Doug Elliott on the post-midnight show and why it's something of a throwback to a simpler time - when overnights on radio were live. 

Ed The Sock & Doug Elliott