sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2023 7:17 am  #1

Who's Not On First? Classic CHUM Ad Features Odd Top Billing

In August 1967, CHUM-AM was still at the top of the ratings and regularly presenting concerts around the city. But this ad actually surprised me. It promotes a big event at Maple Leaf Gardens starring Herman's Hermits. They were pretty big at the time but what intrigues me in the hindsight of history is the group that gets second billing. 

Under the big picture of Peter Noone and company, it includes the brief mention that also on stage that night will be The Who. The Who gets second billing? Perhaps they weren't as big a group as they were to become later on (with more farewell tours than can be counted) but to play second fiddle to Herman's Hermits (who I liked as a group) now seems crazy. 

I saw a few concerts at MLG and remember it as a terrible place to listen to music. But there wasn't a lot of choice back then. By the way, I'm still jealous of my older sister, who spent about $5 bucks to see the Beatles at the Gardens in the mid-60s. When I asked her what she remembers about it, she tells me all she recalls was the screaming. No one could actually hear any of the music. 

By the way, anyone remember this place? It was a beacon for Canadian talent, and I love the gimmick that you can't get in unless you present the card - which is published in a newspaper, meaning everyone can get one. And isn't it Grant Smith & The Power, not Brant?

April 28, 2023 8:27 am  #2

Re: Who's Not On First? Classic CHUM Ad Features Odd Top Billing

That show was part of The Who's first North American tour, and it was set up when they were just having their first North American top 40 hit with "Happy Jack". So it definitely was a case of Herman's Hermits being the bigger act at the time, but yes, it certainly is very odd to see this in hindsight.

April 28, 2023 8:37 am  #3

By today's standards, $5 sounds incredibly cheap to see the Beatles. To put that into perspective, I saw my first Leaf game in January 1963 against the then entrenched in last place Bruins [ They lost 5-2] We had centre ice Blues which were $5, Leaf tickets have never been inexpensive, so those $5 Beatle ticket prices would have been astronomical to see a band play for maybe 45 minutes. 20 songs at 2:30 each sounds about right. As for The Who, I Can See For Miles was their only North American Top 40 hit in the 60's. Top 40 listeners on this side of the Atlantic would have been relatively unfamiliar with the group then.

April 28, 2023 9:02 am  #4

Herman's Hermits, even though they were more pop than rock had five number one hits and ten songs  in the top ten in Canada by the time they played at this concert.  The band was also more popular here than the states.

The Who sold albums more than singles but had a good hit in Canada in 1965 with My Generation which reached #3 but didn't do much in the US.  Happy Jack was #1 here in 1966 and #24 on Billboard. Their breakout hit in the US in 1967 could have been I Can See For Miles which came in at #9 on Billboard and #4 in Canada.  Blues Magoos was a US band from the Bronx and had a decent hit in 1966 with We Ain't Got Nothin Yet.

So in terms of popularity in 1967 the billing order for the concert would have been right.    

Last edited by paterson1 (April 28, 2023 2:20 pm)

April 28, 2023 9:05 am  #5

I noticed The Hawk's Nest was located at 329 Yonge St. above Le Coq d'Or Tavern. Before the Hawk's Nest arrived, Olympia Bowling & Billiards occupied the second floor and Le Coq d'Or was considered one of Toronto's better fine dining establishments. In October 1969 an interesting tenant moved in next door. Anybody remember Cinema 2000? They lasted until October 1982. Because their movies were on videotape and not on 16/35mm film, the Ontario Censor Board couldn't do anything about it. HMV moved in afterwards. Today Tokyo Smoke and a Five Guys burger joint are located there.

April 28, 2023 10:00 am  #6

mace wrote:

By today's standards, $5 sounds incredibly cheap to see the Beatles. To put that into perspective, I saw my first Leaf game in January 1963 against the then entrenched in last place Bruins [ They lost 5-2] We had centre ice Blues which were $5, Leaf tickets have never been inexpensive, so those $5 Beatle ticket prices would have been astronomical to see a band play for maybe 45 minutes. 20 songs at 2:30 each sounds about right. As for The Who, I Can See For Miles was their only North American Top 40 hit in the 60's. Top 40 listeners on this side of the Atlantic would have been relatively unfamiliar with the group then.

A long time ago, I was sent to New York City by CFTR to do a series of interviews. One of them was Sid Bernstein, the promoter who brought the Beatles to America by offering them a concert at Carnegie Hall - which impressed manager Brian Epstein. 

While I was there, he pulled out the ticket below from the famous Beatles Shea Stadium concert and gave it to me for reasons I still don't quite understand. To this day, I have no idea if it's real - wasn't that concert a complete sell-out? Would any intact tickets still exist? In any event, I still have it wrapped in carefully protected material just in case. And yes, as you can see, the ticket sold for only $5. 

Thank God there was no Ticketmaster back then!

April 28, 2023 11:09 am  #7

The first Beatle's concert at Shea occurred Aug 15, 1965. The stage was set up in the outfield just past second base. They played 12 songs over 30 minutes which were heard through the stadiums public address system. The fab four and Syd Bernstein split the 300K the concert generated.

April 28, 2023 12:11 pm  #8

RA, your sister was correct about the screaming crowd drowning out The Beatles. I still have my Maple Leaf Gardens ticket stub for the Sept 7/64 4PM show. Five bucks. The audio equipment of the times just was not adequate for huge venues and of course there were no large video screens, so the Beatles appeared very tiny on stage, even though my brother and I had seats on the floor.

The Hawk’s Nest was located upstairs at 331 Yonge Street; Ronnie Hawkins was associated with it, possibly as part owner. At the time the drinking age was 21, so he felt there was a good entertainment market for teenagers, and the Hawk’s Nest was an ideal location, featuring primarily R&B bands. I have a couple of actual “membership” cards for the place, along with other spots such as The Mynah Bird and Chez Monique’s in Yorkville, as well as a spot called the Gogue Inn. I played at the Hawk’s Nest once as well - we backed up 3 soul singers from Detroit called The Fabulous Peps, reminiscent of bands like the Temptations.

One of the entertainers at the Hawk’s Nest in your ad lists The Mandala, and George Oliver and his Children. This is confusing because in 1968 George was the lead singer for the Mandala (formerly The Rogues), a band heavily promoted by Rafael Markowitz, aka Randy Martin, who apparently called himself Randy Dandy for a while, a clown who performed in Buffalo. For some time The Mandala was probably the most exciting R&B/Soul band in Toronto, attracting crowds of screaming girls thanks to Randy’s heavy promotion. With the great Domenic Troiano on guitar, this band was a real powerhouse, and enjoyed one major record, “Opportunity,” with Dom playing a blistering solo.  After The Mandala had its run George later formed The Soul Crusade and then continued singing for some time. Dom went on for many years, playing with a number of well known bands, including Bush, The James Gang, a stint with The Guess Who, and had many other personal projects and recordings. He was such a talented musician.

The long history of music on Yonge Street is chronicled at the Friar’s Music Museum, located on the 2nd floor of the Shoppers Drug Mart at Yonge and Dundas, in the general area of the old clubs, including The Hawk’s Nest, le Coq D’Or, The Friars, etc. It was created thanks to many people, including writer Nicholas Jennings, as well as Duff Roman, to mention just two. No admission fee, and the display is well worth visiting. In fact there was (and hopefully still is) an old striped Mandala stage suit on display, and a vintage Fender Telecaster owned by Dom.

April 28, 2023 12:44 pm  #9

Olliver had indeed left Mandala to form his own group by 1968. From https://www.troianomusic.com/mandala.html:

The group's debut single stormed into the Toronto top 10 in February 1967 and was quickly followed by another top 10 success, "Give & Take" c/w "From Toronto '67," which was released three months later. In June, Mandala returned to New York to play one off dates at Steve Paul's the Scene and the Action House. Around this time, the band also reportedly began work on an album but it was never finished and Mandala's line up soon underwent several important personnel changes.
During late September, singer George Olliver quit the group in frustration and formed his own band, the Children.

April 28, 2023 1:19 pm  #10

Wow, fascinating info from both of you. Thanks. I never realized the club scene was that vibrant, but I was way too young at that time to partake in it. A lot of them were gone by the time I aged into it. I'd heard about Yorkville in those days, but was never able to get there until after what made it great was gone. 

Randy Dandy was the name of a kids' show that aired on CHCH in the 60s. I'm guessing it would have had to be the same guy. Wasn't one I watched so I don't really remember it, But I never forgot the name. Oddly, when you do a search for "Randy Dandy" on the web, there's not much sign of him, except for one Facebook entry from the Hamilton Public Library.

April 28, 2023 1:45 pm  #11

Randy Dandy's real name was Randy Markowitz.

April 28, 2023 1:57 pm  #12

Lorne wrote:

That show was part of The Who's first North American tour, and it was set up when they were just having their first North American top 40 hit with "Happy Jack". So it definitely was a case of Herman's Hermits being the bigger act at the time, but yes, it certainly is very odd to see this in hindsight.

The Who would headline at the very intimate Rockpile at 888 Yonge St. in 1969 with Kensington Market opening so they were still a long way from headlining a Toronto show in 1967.    

Here's poster from the web:

Last edited by SpinningWheel (April 28, 2023 1:58 pm)

April 28, 2023 2:08 pm  #13

Mr. Markowitz went by various names, Randy, Riff, Rafael., Raff.  He was involved with at least 3 CHCH productions, including The Randy Dandy Show, Hilarious House of Frightenstein and Party Game.  He was a producer, writer and sometimes talent for these shows. Rafael also had a younger brother Mitch who was associate producer for HHOF and appeared as a super hero on the program. 

Another shot from the Randy Dandy Show

April 28, 2023 2:27 pm  #14

The headline on RA's flyer..."ANOTHER SMASH SPECTACLAR SHOW!"

Maybe this is why typesetters joined blacksmiths on the unemployment line. 

April 28, 2023 2:42 pm  #15

SpinningWheel wrote:

Here's poster from the web:

Here's what SpinningWheel was trying to post...

image host free

April 28, 2023 3:16 pm  #16

Lorne wrote: "Olliver had indeed left Mandala to form his own group by 1968. From https://www.troianomusic.com/mandala.html:"

Thanks for the correction Lorne. Makes sense now.
On George’s site there’s a link to “Toronto’s Soul Scene” saying in part “After George left the Mandala he went on to form George Olliver and His Children which evolved into Natural Gas....”

April 28, 2023 4:22 pm  #17

George Oliver sang at the Blue Goose Tavern several years ago. The Goose is sadly no more.

In addition to the Hawks Nest and Le Coq d'Or, there was the Coal Bin and a few more. IIRC, a group of lawyers owned something like 6 clubs back in those days.