sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2023 7:25 pm  #1

Why Friday's Blue Jays Game Was Not On Sportsnet TV

This is Apple TV+'s turn as part of its deal with MLB, and the only place to watch the game is online - and not on cable. It remains on the radio, as usual.

Jays Vs. Yankees In Big Apple Only On The Apple+

April 21, 2023 8:28 pm  #2

Re: Why Friday's Blue Jays Game Was Not On Sportsnet TV

So stupid. 

April 21, 2023 10:57 pm  #3

I saw a portion of it on the MLB network.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 21, 2023 11:13 pm  #4

Only 2 or 3 games out of 162 are on Apple TV but with the amount of outrage you’d think it was a lot more.

April 22, 2023 6:30 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Only 2 or 3 games out of 162 are on Apple TV but with the amount of outrage you’d think it was a lot more.

I don't blame the outrage. How soon before it really is a lot more? 
Rogers already now has the ability to offer Apple TV without the apple box.
Soon Apple TV will most likely be an option to add to the cable bill. (and hopefully remove as desired)
You need to drop Legacy cable and go Ignite to make it work, but it's there... just say "Apple TV".

Rogers already has an arrangement to put Disney + on the Ignite TV bill. 
I gather Apple TV is not far behind. 
People who do not wish to pay for Apple TV will just get left out, I guess.

Also, what does this do for bars and pubs trying to carry the game??? 
Do they suddenly also have to spend more money on Apple TV just to get the game?? 
Not nice at a time when bars and pubs are suffering and trying to tie a knot and hang on as is.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 22, 2023 12:40 pm  #6

Looking for a short term quick fix break? 
Here's two months free...after that, you're on your own!  https://redeem.apple.com/mlbfnb2motvca?origin&itscg=80218&itsct=s_mlb_partner_2023_offer

April 23, 2023 1:01 am  #7

You really think Rogers, which owns the Blue Jays is happy with this arrangement and would ever allow more than a few games to be taken away from Sportsnet without making a huge stink about it?  Not a chance.  I think this is a warm up for Apple to launch a game of the week package at some point on a better day of the week if the ratings are actually there.  With the age and tech savviness of the average baseball fan that's doubtful, I would think.  If Apple does launch a game of the week package the Blue Jays would be one of the least desirable teams for a broadcast which would be aimed mainly at the US..

April 23, 2023 2:40 am  #8

I don't think the Jays are a hot item in the States.  Their appearance cuts the potential audience by half.  Fox which owns the OTA rights never shows Toronto.

April 23, 2023 6:51 am  #9

Make no mistake - this wasn't about the Jays. It was about the Yankees, who are always a draw no matter who they're playing. 

I have no way to explain the May 19th Apple game - the Jays vs. Baltimore. I can't see that one being much of a draw, except in the Washington D.C./Maryland area. 

April 23, 2023 6:51 pm  #10

rje1 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

You really think Rogers, which owns the Blue Jays is happy with this arrangement and would ever allow more than a few games to be taken away from Sportsnet without making a huge stink about it?  Not a chance.  I think this is a warm up for Apple to launch a game of the week package at some point on a better day of the week if the ratings are actually there.  With the age and tech savviness of the average baseball fan that's doubtful, I would think.  If Apple does launch a game of the week package the Blue Jays would be one of the least desirable teams for a broadcast which would be aimed mainly at the US..

It already is a game of the week idea. Friday Night Baseball....they air two games every Friday.

Rogers has no say.......it's a deal bewteen MLB and Apple. " Blue Jays would be one of the least desirable teams"  not if they're at or near the top of the AL East. 

Been to Skydome for a game recently? Pretty young crowd. 

I disagree. If the Jays make the playoffs again this year, they will be given the least attractive time slots. Early or late afternoon. Primetime? Not a chance unless they win several rounds.

April 24, 2023 12:51 am  #11

rje1 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

It already is a game of the week idea. Friday Night Baseball....they air two games every Friday.

Rogers has no say.......it's a deal bewteen MLB and Apple. " Blue Jays would be one of the least desirable teams"  not if they're at or near the top of the AL East. 

I think a lot of them are checking out the renovations.  I like baseball but I have never seen anyone in their 20's or 30's watch a game from start to finish on TV and I haven't seen many people in their 40's and above pay for sports that used to be free.  Of course my experience isn't a scientific sample.

April 24, 2023 1:08 am  #12

Tomas Barlow wrote:

rje1 wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I think a lot of them are checking out the renovations.  I like baseball but I have never seen anyone in their 20's or 30's watch a game from start to finish on TV and I haven't seen many people in their 40's and above pay for sports that used to be free.  Of course my experience isn't a scientific sample.

I’m in my 30s and I routinely watch Jays games from start to finish on TV.

April 24, 2023 1:49 am  #13

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I honestly do not know. Apple would have to be paying Rogers something, which I doubt is the case, except Rogers and Apple...

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/elevating-the-ultimate-entertainment-experience-rogers-brings-apple-tv-to-ignite-tv-and-ignite-streaming/